Marathon world record broken

A 30 year old Kenyan, Dennis Kimetto has broken the world marathon record in Berlin, in 2hrs 2 mins and 57 seconds.

If you tell me what the previous record was,I will work it out for you from the time stated above. :)

By how much? (can't be arsed to look) it's a day of rest. :)

1 minute and 2 seconds

Fantastic achievement

Before the end of this decade, we will see the sub 2hr marathon.

I wonder if there are any odds on that anywhere? I'm fairly confident it will happen.

Its crazy what people can do when they put their mind to it. I keep fit and run and enjoy long walks but I think if I even attempted to run for 2 hours at that pace my legs would drop off and my lungs would collapse into mush.

Apparently, when Roger Banister broke the 4 minute mile record many others also ran the mile in under 4 minutes after that. As you suggest, it is about belief in what is possible that makes the difference. As someone said, “If you believe you can you are right, if you believe you cannot you are right”.

Guest sibon

Snickers. Surely.:rolleyes:

Apparently, when Roger Banister broke the 4 minute mile record many others also ran the mile in under 4 minutes after that. As you suggest, it is about belief in what is possible that makes the difference. As someone said, “If you believe you can you are right, if you believe you cannot you are right”.

There was a More Or Less programme on R4 that dismissed this as an urban myth.

The improving trend in times was consistent, before and after.

Somebody is always going to "break" the magic time, if it is possible, and people are always going to wrongly suggest it was some sort of psychological barrier which always seems to be a neat round integer.

I've no doubt that somebody will break the 2hr marathon eventually, and somebody less well engraved into history will break the 1:59:30 marathon too.

---------- Post added 11-10-2014 at 21:43 ----------

Snickers. Surely.:rolleyes:

It'll always be Marathon to me.