Little girls naked at Peace Garden

Letting kids run around naked in a public area is not acceptable these days, i would never let my kids do that get swimwear on the kids the world as changed you just cannot do that anymore

How has the world changed? What do you think will happen to them if they did run around naked?

The male members of your family are far, far, far more statistically likely to abuse your children than a stranger, naked or not. Perhaps instead of covering your children up you should never let them be alone with a family member.

I agree that technically there is nothing wrong with it, but I'm surprised parents are okay with it in a public place and yes it makes me feel uncomfortable after my experiences below.

I like to take photos of events/people/life, its not unusual or unreasonable but it is becoming increasingly harder these days and people letting their kids run around naked in public makes it that much more difficult.

A few times I have taken photos in the Peace Gardens and been approached by the Ambassadors and asked to stop. I never get my camera out if there are naked kids running around, but then its not always easy to notice if there are a lot of people there. Should I just stop taking photos because there might be kids in the shot or just nearby to where I am taking photos? That pretty much means I can't ever take another photo again.

I was even confronted by the police and asked to stop filming with my phone as I walked through a fair at Graves Park. The stupidity being that if I wanted to be crafty about it I would have bought a head mounted cam for my bike helmet, but silly me I thought it reasonable to use my phone. I don't WANT to be secretive about the fact I am shooting.

The thing is, I don't go out that often so I like to document it when I do. My mum is house bound so its nice to show her things going on outside too.

Both of these times I was doing nothing wrong, but was subject to paranoia assuming I MUST be doing something wrong because I am just a guy on my own taking photos in a public place. You can bet I wouldn't have been stopped if I had brought some kids along, as apparently parents/family friends can't be paedophiles despite the evidence to the contrary.

Its a sad state of affairs that any guy on his own is assumed to be bad if in an area with kids, especially if he has a camera in his hands.

The irony of all this is I can just pop on over to YouTube or Flickr and find photos/videos of other people doing EXACTLY THE SAME thing. They either are a lot more confident than I am or are with friends/family so get left alone. While I enjoy watching stuff other people have done, there is nothing like the satisfaction when you get that one great shot yourself. Its also an excuse to get out of the house once in a while.

Edited by AlexAtkin

I hope you politely decline whenever someone asks you to stop taking photos.

Letting kids run around naked in a public area is not acceptable these days, i would never let my kids do that get swimwear on the kids the world as changed you just cannot do that anymore

And why is that?

I like to take photos of events/people/life, its not unusual or unreasonable but it is becoming increasingly harder these days and people letting their kids run around naked in public makes it that much more difficult.

A few times I have taken photos in the Peace Gardens and been approached by the Ambassadors and asked to stop. I never get my camera out if there are naked kids running around, but then its not always easy to notice if there are a lot of people there. Should I just stop taking photos because there might be kids in the shot or just nearby to where I am taking photos? That pretty much means I can't ever take another photo again.

I was even confronted by the police and asked to stop filming with my phone as I walked through a fair at Graves Park. The stupidity being that if I wanted to be crafty about it I would have bought a head mounted cam for my bike helmet, but silly me I thought it reasonable to use my phone. I don't WANT to be secretive about the fact I am shooting.

The 'Ambassadors' have no authority to stop you taking photos and neither do the Police, although you may have an argument on your hands that you don't want to have if you stand up to them.

There are people who routinely take photos in order to provoke a police reaction and then film the ensuing confrontation to post it on YouTube. They make entertaining viewing because the Police always have to back down as they have no legal leg to stand on :)

Edited by Nagel

Even though I know I'm in the right, being on my own and not used to confrontation I just move on.

That is why I posted on this topic though, because once I get approached I'm always thinking "****, what if I DID accidentally catch some kids running around in the background naked". I mean sure, they have no legal right to see what I took anyway, but it doesn't take much to be accused of stuff these days so I'd rather just not risk it.

Bottom line, I agree that it does put people in a awkward situation when they are on their own at the peace gardens with little kids running around with no clothes on. I don't even feel comfortable sitting there when that happens even if I never bring my phone/camera out.

Edited by AlexAtkin

I'm with AlexAtkin on this one,if ever i go through the peace gardens the camera goes in the bag. Sad really some of the best pictures you see are of kids at play. Maybe we need to have a water play area as they have at Clifton park in Rotherham,then the "PEACE" gardens could live up to its name :)