Beware chugger invasion

I don't sign up to anything on the street or at the door. if someone is rattling a can or bucket I may decant my change into it. I object to people who talk past me and don't make eye contact trying to get into my bank account for any reason, especially people hired by Shelter who do not provide shelter and the people working for them are very unlikely to provide shelter either.

That's what the Red Cross were doing today. Rattling buckets. Not asking for direct debits etc

It certainly didn't cause me any problem, I wasn't approached, they were just "there"

So nothing really to "beware"

That's what the Red Cross were doing today. Rattling buckets. Not asking for direct debits etc

It certainly didn't cause me any problem, I wasn't approached, they were just "there"

So nothing really to "beware"

That I'd donate to.

I'd make all charities illegal. Just add 1p on income tax, and call it charity tax. If people want to give more, just let them do it via self assessment. Walking down Fargate down is a real skill. If it's not Panda's in Botswana, it's raccoons in Tehran. Professional charities are a complete pain in the Harris. Ban them, save the money they cost, and just take it direct from salaries and benefits.

I get 45% of my income taken for "charity". What do you think happens to tax? It gets paid to the helpless, hapless, feckless, luckless and sick. (yes I recognise some goes on policing and defence etc). That's what benefits are basically - charity from the hard workers.

BTW who do you suggest distributes the 1% extra tax? Who would choose which were the most worthy charities?

Charity starts at home, and for me, ends there!

I find people seeking donations a rather sad state of affairs

Most of these people are volunteers yet are seeking money

It's rather sad this is allowed yet I am also a volunteer as well

So should volunteers be used as slave labour insurance agents

When I was younger I always fell prey to chuggers. I always used to allow myself to fall victim and have to stand there for 10 minutes while these chuggers go into automated robot mode rattling off various bullet points and facts ingrained into their brains. I even had one chase me down the moor when I refused to stop, though I did stop eventually as she was quite attractive, I'm only human after all.

Nowadays I just say no or "sorry I'm in a rush" that usually works. About a year ago I had one bloke down city centre who wouldn't take no for an answer, just wanted a "small donation". When I said no he asked why, I replied "actually I've got quite a bit of debt, perhaps you could help me out with a small donation?" I couldn't see him for dust, he did a Road Runner down the street so maybe try that line next time.

Just carry on about your business, dont make eye contact and walk straight ahead.

No need to disconnect, you can still make eye contact.

There is no need to worry about any business relations with the collectors, and there is no need to walk funny or behave strangely when you don't give money as long as they don't physically put their hands in your pocket.

Just tell them no, followed by **** off if they are persistent.

You bunch of miserable sods.

If you're not minded to make a donation at this time, just tell them.

(And if it still upsets you, then you can always kick a beggar on your way home to compensate for it!)

Its quite easy to say no you arent interested.

Doesnt always work - Some are extremely persistent and continue to bother/follow you despite saying no thanks. Sometimes i am bombarded by the same person after saying no to that person just a few mins before.

---------- Post added 28-09-2014 at 15:29 ----------

Most of these people are volunteers yet are seeking money

The majority are not volunteers - they get paid for harassing folk. You can spot the people who do volunteer a mile off because they are not badgering every person who walks past.

I regularly put a pound in a bucket to those that are just standing quietly outside smiths or M & S.

Doesnt always work - Some are extremely persistent and continue to bother/follow you despite saying no thanks. Sometimes i am bombarded by the same person after saying no to that person just a few mins before.

---------- Post added 28-09-2014 at 15:29 ----------

The majority are not volunteers - they get paid for harassing folk. You can spot the people who do volunteer a mile off because they are not badgering every person who walks past.

I regularly put a pound in a bucket to those that are just standing quietly outside smiths or M & S.

Yes me too I donate to those who gave Stands and stuff like a lot of the animal charities do. They just sit there not harassing. That's how it should be.

As well as the charities, yesterday of Fargate people were trying to sell me gym membership and three types of god.