Benifits if you leave work of your own accord

Do people other than me find it bizarre that people leave £1000s in savings when they die .

They could retire early , enjoy life .

Saving money for old age is some that is not certain .

Grave yards do not just contain just old people and are free of rich men , they will not put your wealth in the hole with you .

lifes for living now and if you can do it why work till you drop .

I suspect allsystem is some way from the normal retirement age and still in good health. I hope he remains that way for a very long time.

Many who are now in retirement may have left school at 15 or 16, and worked for almost 50 years before getting their state pension. Not all are totally worn out, and quite a lot actually enjoy working so they've found jobs to keep income coming in on top of the pension. However, they will certainly have friends who are in poor health, and some of their contemporaries will have died. They'll have seen some struggling to get by on limited means.

Seeing how the welfare state is going, and their health is gradually fading, it's not at all surprising that many older people hang onto their money as long as possible. Have a look at how much a nursing home costs each month. Most of us would wish to avoid such a place as long as we can. The more cash you've saved the more choices you have.

Whilst many people don't enjoy their work, a lot actually enjoy it. Some seem to find that hard to understand. We're all different. As one who, mostly, has enjoyed my work I consider myself to have been lucky. Health is more important than wealth at any time, but even more so in older age. However a little wealth may come in handy when the state doesn't provide.

I'd say the OP may well get nothing, but he should check all the facts before handing in any notice. There are many considerations to take into account. Health. Occupational pension. Spouses employment. Savings. Other assets. Any debt. Early retirement packages.

Good luck sawguitar. I've retired twice and now do voluntary work. Never claimed any benefits, and wouldn't have been able to - but having looked down the barrel of the gun twice I know it's important to check everything that's relevant before packing it in.

You do whatever anyone else does when they take early retirement. They live off their private pension which is then supplemented at 65 by the state pension.

If you can't afford to retire yet, then don't. Harsh but true.

If I was to quit work tomorrow, I'd get no benefits at all. Why should I, when I am perfectly capable of working?

Not sure of the answer, but hopefully nothing.

Why would you say that?

I don't know how old you are, but I have to tell you that people don't all age at the same rate, and we are going to see a lot more problems with people who are not going to be able to keep going until they are 68+

We have a government, (all soft hand pen pushers who have never done a day's real work between them,) who like to peddle the idea that if you look after yourself, exercise, eat and drink healthily, etc.you will somehow not age. Wrong. You might live longer but the aging process is still taking place, and having an effect on your body, which makes it more and more difficult to perform normal daily tasks. You don't move, react, think or work as quickly as you once did.

You don't have to be 'ill' to be unable to work, simply too old to keep going for 8 hours a day.

If you leave your job without just cause then you get no JSA for 6 months. If you have savings then you will have to live on them until you get them to a level that would not affect any means tested benefit.

Just cause means basically YOU have to prove that you had a valid reason for doing so.

@Jim Hardie (post #30)

How do you know his savings will be depleted by the time he's 65? He didn't say how much savings he has.

You may be misunderstanding the verb 'deplete'. His savings will be depleted (i.e. lessened or weakened)) but perhaps not exhausted, dependent upon how much he has in the first place.

@Anna B - I agree totally with your post. People who complain on here are doubtless nowhere near that age and cannot know what it is like not to be able to function (mentally and physically) as you did a mere 10 years ago. Mortality and morbidity rates are lower in South Yorkshire than in affluent areas of the country so less time to benefit from retirement. Many people who have had a long and hard working life are worn out by the time they get into their sixties. Everybody has to be treated as an individual. When the retirement age goes up all it will do is push people onto sickness benefits because they will simply be unable to cope with long hours at work.

Edited by Jomie

Not sure of the answer, but hopefully nothing.

Why bother replying? The OP asked for information, not your opinion. He doesn't care what you think.

It's like they always say, do nothing, don't save and be looked after in old age.

Some folk work all their life in important jobs, I.E. home helps,cleaners,twilight shift workers etc, At the end of their labours these folk have precisely nowt due to being paid a pittance, meanwhile! others in meaningless jobs ,footballers, pay day lenders,etc .they laugh all the way to the bank and look down on those who have not been so lucky in life .

Its like they always say isn't it.

Why bother replying? The OP asked for information, not your opinion. He doesn't care what you think.

Sorry but I think you will find the majority of SF is opinion.

Lots of information provided is incorrect or incomplete, as well.

Why would you say that?

I don't know how old you are, but I have to tell you that people don't all age at the same rate, and we are going to see a lot more problems with people who are not going to be able to keep going until they are 68+

We have a government, (all soft hand pen pushers who have never done a day's real work between them,) who like to peddle the idea that if you look after yourself, exercise, eat and drink healthily, etc.you will somehow not age. Wrong. You might live longer but the aging process is still taking place, and having an effect on your body, which makes it more and more difficult to perform normal daily tasks. You don't move, react, think or work as quickly as you once did.

You don't have to be 'ill' to be unable to work, simply too old to keep going for 8 hours a day.

You are right Anna, most people who say look at him,her because they have given up work [being completely worn out due to hard physical labour] have swanned around in a suit all their lives and have no idea what a it is like to wake up in morning with physical pain due to that hard work.

So people should be allowed to quit work well before the retirement age if they decide it's too hard?

Looking at the Post count of some of the Critics on here,the hardest Work they do,is switching the Computor on.

Looking at the Post count of some of the Critics on here,the hardest Work they do,is switching the Computor on.

I'll second that.