The men with many wives, channel 4

Married....kids.......benefits.........so many of each!

Nice for the chosen few!

Married....kids.......benefits.........so many of each!

Nice for the chosen few!

What are you on about?

This. http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-men-with-many-wives/4od

This revealing documentary explores the world of polygamous marriages among British Muslims.

While polygamy is illegal under British law, it is permitted under Sharia law, and while it's unusual, some estimate that there are as many as 20,000 polygamous marriages among Muslims in the UK today.

The programme examines the daily challenges of polygamous life and the motivation of those who are looking for another wife.

It considers whether they are compelled by desire or tradition and meets those who are trying to make polygamy acceptable to mainstream UK society.

The film poses difficult questions, not only around reconciling Muslim values with modern British society but also on questions of duty, love and betrayal.

I didn't see the programme but I assume that she is 'on about' the subject of polygamy in Islam. IIRC Muslim men are allowed four wives as long as they spend equal time with each. Happily for them, the benefit system truly comes into its own because while the UK recognises polygamous marriages that occurred in countries where it is allowed, in this country only one woman is legally the wife. This means that for the purposes of benefits each subsequent 'wife' is treated as a single parent and can claim all the attendant allowances, including a house and housing benefit. The 'husband' can then just flit from woman to woman every two days, making sure they have plenty of children and he need never work again.

What are you on about?

There was a Channel 4 documentary Not seen it myself but read up about it in the Guardian article where the reporter clearly struggles to maintain his usual politically correct position.

Basically, the tax payer is supporting polygamist families who break our laws and clearly do not share our values. It is another example of how Muslims do not consider woman as equals and plenty within the Muslim community must know it is happening just as they did the grooming.

The multi-culture dream. Wouldn't integration be so much more boring than this sort of wonderful diversity?

The multi-culture dream. Wouldn't integration be so much more boring than this sort of wonderful diversity?

It certainly isn't something I dreamed about, but I think most rational thinkers would see the benefits non British people have brought to this country over the centuries.

---------- Post added 26-09-2014 at 07:55 ----------

I didn't see the programme but I assume that she is 'on about' the subject of polygamy in Islam. IIRC Muslim men are allowed four wives as long as they spend equal time with each. Happily for them, the benefit system truly comes into its own because while the UK recognises polygamous marriages that occurred in countries where it is allowed, in this country only one woman is legally the wife. This means that for the purposes of benefits each subsequent 'wife' is treated as a single parent and can claim all the attendant allowances, including a house and housing benefit. The 'husband' can then just flit from woman to woman every two days, making sure they have plenty of children and he need never work again.

Do you think the the existence of polygamous marriages prevents some men from breeding with series of women? You don't see many Muslims gracing the Jeremy Kyle show.

There was a Channel 4 documentary Not seen it myself but read up about it in the Guardian article where the reporter clearly struggles to maintain his usual politically correct position.

Basically, the tax payer is supporting polygamist families who break our laws and clearly do not share our values. It is another example of how Muslims do not consider woman as equals and plenty within the Muslim community must know it is happening just as they did the grooming.

What laws were they breaking?

I recognised Mohammed from

Sheffield and its bugging me where I know him. Said he worked in Restaurants so unless he worked in a restaurant-takeaway or something im not sure.

From.

---------- Post added 26-09-2014 at 07:58 ----------

It certainly isn't something I dreamed about, but I think most rational thinkers would see the benefits non British people have brought to this country over the centuries.

Do you think the the existence of polygamous marriages prevents some men from breeding with series of women? You don't see many Muslims gracing the Jeremy Kyle show.

Just because they aren't on Jeremy Kyle does NOT make them any better.

Edited by Chazndave

You watch Kyle, :rolleyes:

Some non-British people bring benefits and others come and take benefits. The trick is to be selective about who we let in.

Just being consistent... I slate the Jeremy Kyle chavs too and we shouldn't be paying for their lifestyle choices either.

The difference is that we can't do much about the indigenous pain-in-the-backsides. We can however do something to stop their foreign equivalents from coming here, and remaining, if they do not make a positive contribution and embrace our values.

Did you read the article in the Guardian? What did you think? I liked the bit about the 3rd wife going to get her new niqab (previously didn't wear one) and the husband explaining it is just protecting your property like covering a car. What benefits are they bringing to this country?

Correction.

Most rational thinkers would see the benefits that some non British people have brought to this country over the centuries, but they would also see the downside and look for ways to get the benefits without having to tolerate the down side.

The folk of Sheffield have given a lot to the world as well.

" In 1881, Home Secretary William Harcourt was asked to comment on an incident in Sheffield, in which a man sold his wife for a quart of beer."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wife_selling_(English_custom)

And in 1887 you could buy a wife in Sheffield for 5 shillings.

http://www.chrishobbs.com/sheffield/wifeselling1887.htm

Edited by esme
corrected url