PC Monitor Debate

So as I see it then, IPS is best for desktop use while LED / LCD / Full HD is best for gaming ???

IPS is just the technology behind the screen, IPS are still LCD, with LED backlight

Post removed

Edited by allysum

What is with everyone saying "You're not gonna want to watch TV on a PC"

I use my PC as my Gaming PC, and TV, it's in the bedroom, and is where I spend most of the time, and it's great for just laying in bed and watching TV

I do have a 40" LED SMART TV in the front room, and did have a PC on it, but it got used so little it's not really worth it so I sold that PC, and the TV gets used 2 or 3 times per month at most...

So as I see it then, IPS is best for desktop use while LED / LCD / Full HD is best for gaming ???

Still no mention of a budget nor why you need that specific gfx card?

---------- Post added 27-09-2014 at 11:05 ----------

What is with everyone saying "You're not gonna want to watch TV on a PC"

I use my PC as my Gaming PC, and TV, it's in the bedroom, and is where I spend most of the time, and it's great for just laying in bed and watching TV

I do have a 40" LED SMART TV in the front room, and did have a PC on it, but it got used so little it's not really worth it so I sold that PC, and the TV gets used 2 or 3 times per month at most...

Good for you. No-one I know has a PC in their bedroom (and 90% of them are IT types), well not since I was a student way back when.

Everyone I know that has a TV in their bedroom....has a TV in their bedroom not a PC. TVs produce no noise, turn on straight away and are for watching TV.

I don't even have that any more, not worth it for watching the news for 15 minutes in the morning ;)

Unless the 'serious desktop' stuff involves medium- to high-end video editing/compositing, you aren't likely to need a 4K monitor, nor an enormous one (i.e. >24").

probedb is right on, work to a budget and unless your living space is very small (i.e. bedroom-small), don't think of using a PC<>monitor as your all-in-one media solution.

For movies and other media material, even in a small flat you should be looking at a 32" screen with a reasonable viewing distance (6ft or more).

In terms of image quality, I will recommend the IPS LED models in your list, they are IMHO far superior to IPS LCD and non-IPS LED panels.

I have a 24" LG non-IPS LCD at work, which I find borderline too big and not as easy to live with (in terms of consistency of image brightness across whole screen) as the 22" IPS LCD it's replaced.

Also, I've had a 21.5" BenQ LED at home for a couple of years (using PC and xbox 360 on that), recently passed down to the little one as I got hold of a 22" LG IPS LED which I find far (faaar) superior. Much more natural and rich colours, no artefacts/blur at all, no eye strain whatsoever. Wouldn't go back to non-IPS now.

For streaming, if you're upgrading the TV look for one with 'smarts' (which can stream media from your PC or, even better, a NAS which uses far (faaar :D) less watts than a PC). If not, there are a gazillion Chinese-made Android TV boxes on Amazon and eBay with a sub-£50 price tag which will do the job just fine, and then some. Like this one (OK, that's well above £50...but check what you're getting for around 80 notes! :o)

Depending on what you want to do with the Android box, I would only buy one with Tegra K1 in it. Mali is ok for basic things though, like I said, depends on what you want to do with it.

Yeah, don't go 4k unless you're spending £1000 on graphics cards.

Yeah, don't go 4k unless you're spending £1000 on graphics cards.

Costs about half that I think? Still not cheap, so you really need to want to do it of course.

Post removed

Edited by allysum

No not 4K so probably the GTX 970 would be best bet or even a much older GTX 750 TI 2GB card

My budget would be around £150 for the biggest screen possible with stunning colour / sharpness!

Edited by BEDROCK

No not 4K so probably the GTX 970 would be best bet or even a much older GTX 750 TI 2GB card

My budget would be around £150 for the biggest screen possible with stunning colour / sharpness!

So why list monitors costing >£1000 and pick a gfx card capable of running stupid high frame rates?

It's taken 2 days to get to this point.

You can get a good 24" 1080p screen for that, maybe a cheap 27" 1080p screen. Dell refurbs are available on ebay for cheap. I got 2 P2414H monitors plus stands for just over £200 and they're excellent.

Now you've narrowed your list use your common sense and find reviews of monitors in your price range instead of relying on everyone here to do the work for you.

You saw (and liked) the 23" HP IPS monitors I had, and they are only £140 each.... more than good for gaming, movies, web... whatever!

Doesn't that cut out about half the list that you posted?