PC Monitor Debate

Which models would everyone recommend out of these or should I just use a normal TV instead...

23" Asus VS239HV IPS Widescreen LED Monitor

23" Iiyama Prolite X2377HDS IPS Widescreen TFT Monitor

24" AOC E2460SH LED Monitor 24"

22" Asus VE228HR Widescreen TFT Monitor (LED)

24" Asus VS247HR Widescreen LED Monitor

24" Asus VN248H Super Narrow Bezel Widescreen LED Monitor

24" AOC G2460FQ LED Monitor

23" Dell Professional P2314H Monitor

23" Asus MX239H Frameless IPS Widescreen LED Monitor

24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M Widescreen LED Monitor

27" Asus VE278Q Widescreen LED Multimedia Monitor

27" Asus MX279H Frameless IPS Widescreen LED Monitor

24” Iiyama PLT2452MTS-B Multi Touch Touch Screen Monitor

24" AOC G2460PG LED Monitor with Nvidia G-Sync

27" AOC Q2770PQU 2560x1440 LED Monitor

29" Asus MX299Q widescreen AH-IPS monitor

28" AOC U2868PQU LED 4K Monitor

27" Asus PB278Q Widescreen LED Multimedia Monitor IPS 2560x1440

24" Dell Ultrasharp UP2414Q 4k Monitor With PremierColour

31.5" Dell Ultrasharp UP3214Q 4k Monitor With PremierColour

The graphics card would be something like the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Video Card

What use would the monitor be for?

Gaming?

Video Editing?

Photo / GFX?

CAD?..... etc...?

Go read some review sites.

What are you using it for? What is your budget? You're going from cheap 22" monitors to very expensive 32" monitors. Narrow down what you want.

I plan on using for casual gaming and serious desktop / multi media use!

I was thinking of using the computer as an all in one entertainment centre.

So instead of spending money on separate TV / stereo and DVD players stuff.

I may as well get the best specification I can as that NVIDIA card has rave reviews!

Again, what is your budget?

Those requirements are at odds really. Unless you live in a tiny flat you can't really have a serious desktop/gaming PC that you also use as your TV etc.

My desktop has 2 x 24" monitors but my TV is a 42" plasma. I couldn't use the TV for any of the proper IT stuff I do and the TV is too far away to be of any use for games.

If you want a media centre type thing you're better getting a Raspberry Pi or similar and using something like RaspBMC to run XMBC through a proper TV, this can then stream everything from your PC if necessary.

It really depends.

Same for the gfx card, it depends on the monitor. If you're just running 1080p you don't need a gfx card that's capable of driving a 4K monitor at high refresh rates. Lots of cards have good reviews.

casual gaming and serious desktop / multi media use
Unless the 'serious desktop' stuff involves medium- to high-end video editing/compositing, you aren't likely to need a 4K monitor, nor an enormous one (i.e. >24").

probedb is right on, work to a budget and unless your living space is very small (i.e. bedroom-small), don't think of using a PC<>monitor as your all-in-one media solution.

For movies and other media material, even in a small flat you should be looking at a 32" screen with a reasonable viewing distance (6ft or more).

In terms of image quality, I will recommend the IPS LED models in your list, they are IMHO far superior to IPS LCD and non-IPS LED panels.

I have a 24" LG non-IPS LCD at work, which I find borderline too big and not as easy to live with (in terms of consistency of image brightness across whole screen) as the 22" IPS LCD it's replaced.

Also, I've had a 21.5" BenQ LED at home for a couple of years (using PC and xbox 360 on that), recently passed down to the little one as I got hold of a 22" LG IPS LED which I find far (faaar) superior. Much more natural and rich colours, no artefacts/blur at all, no eye strain whatsoever. Wouldn't go back to non-IPS now.

For streaming, if you're upgrading the TV look for one with 'smarts' (which can stream media from your PC or, even better, a NAS which uses far (faaar :D) less watts than a PC). If not, there are a gazillion Chinese-made Android TV boxes on Amazon and eBay with a sub-£50 price tag which will do the job just fine, and then some. Like this one (OK, that's well above £50...but check what you're getting for around 80 notes! :o)

Edited by L00b

In terms of image quality, I will recommend the IPS LED models in your list, they are IMHO far superior to IPS LCD and non-IPS LED panels.

LED models are LCD :P LED is just the backlight technology ;)

Acer 236HL IPS monitor is very good, very glossy screen though and not sure about after sales care, etc.

btw, what do people feel about glossy screens?, they can be irritating, imo.

LED models are LCD :P LED is just the backlight technology ;)
After the grammar Nazi, I present to you... the tech Nazi! :P:D

btw, what do people feel about glossy screens?, they can be irritating, imo.
If by 'glossy' you mean that the screen is glass-fronted (or similar effect), I'd say avoid. Unless your setup is in a basement or such other dimly-lit room without windows. Our main TV is glossy and our lounge is in a conservatory, so TV is just about unusable in summer daytime with the amount of reflections. Good job we don't watch it much, and just about only at night. Edited by L00b

After the grammar Nazi, I present to you... the tech Nazi! :P:D

:hihi::D mts

So as I see it then, IPS is best for desktop use while LED / LCD / Full HD is best for gaming ???