Poor hygiene at Jessops Hospital

Within 5 days of giving birth to my little boy (now 4) I was back in Jessops with a severe infection. At this time I was given a room to myself and was appalled at the cleaner. She came in with her mop, swished it around for a minute and left. She didn't clean the toilet, the flush handle or the door handles. Surely with all the blood that is around in the place, this is just basic hygiene? It's a lovely new building but I have to say I wasn't impressed with the place. Come back Northern General all is forgiven!

My sons girlfriend gave birth a month ago and I visited her in the new Jessop Wing, first impressions well if this is progress you can keep it bring back the Old Jessops, which was run by very frightening nursing sisters but they ran those wards with military procedures, god help any of their staff if any hygiene standards were jeopardised. I thought the New Jessops was so awful I had to stop myself from taking my sons girlfriend out of there I felt so sorry for her. Not an attack on staff just the powers that be that dont put any thought into what they design, might look nice but not practical.

i had my son in the old jessops 9 years ago by emergancy c section and they were lovely but it was a bit old fashioned! then i had my daughter in the new jessops by elective c section on a tuesday afternoon and found them to be equally nice and helpfull, but tbh i didnt really need much assistance from the staff i was pretty much left alone in my room the whole time i was there and i was home early friday morning.

I hope the hospital is clean when im due to have my baby in may i dont fancy my baby or me catching anything if i was strong enough i would have a home birth

I had my little girl in Jessops 10 months ago! The bathroom in my labour room, wasn't the cleanest I have ever seen, but wasn't the worst either! A splash of blood from the previous I presume, which wasn't very nice obviously! But the rest was pretty ok ish! The staff were lovely and once up on the ward, the cleaner was so particular it was great! She even cleaned under my bed, the door handles etc Which ok I know this should be a given, with it been a hospital ward, especiallyw ith new born babies, but I thought she was very good considering how hospital standards seem to have dropped of late! So all in all my opinion is a pretty good one!

Also I must say the staff in Triage were fantastic, I was on 4 times as was in very slow labour, and worrying like mad with it been my first baby, but they soon calmed me down, reassured me etc!

You have nothing to worry about and am sure all will be just fine!

Which ward you get put on has little more significance than which ones have spare beds to be brutally frank, so that nonsense a few pages up about Norfolk being for 'prostitutes' is a right load of hogwash.

For any first timers - it's actually much better being in a 4 bed bay than being in a private room. I found that really isolating - yes, I could sleep better, but it was very, very lonely and frightening at night being left alone with a baby for the first time :(

When i had my son 3 weeks ago it was the 1st time i'd ever been in hospital , i was admitted with suspected pre eclampsia to the concord ward where i was shoved in a side room and hardly anyone came to check on me, probably 3 times a day at most, i was never told by anybody what was happening, they would take blood and not tell me what they were takin it for, it wasn't until the day that i ended up havin my son that i actually found out what was happening. They didn't even tell me that i did actually have pre eclampsia, i found out when i came out of hospital after spendin 5 days there and read it in my son's red book. They decided to give me prostin at 2 in the mornin so i didn't get any sleep the night before my son was born, this started my labour off but they kept tellin me i wasnt in labour so they gave me another tablet of it and they were still tellin me i werent in labour. The nurses n that on HDU wa lovely though, i wa in there before i gave birth to be monitored and then again after cuz i ended up havin a emergency c section.

The consultant who decided to break my waters put her whole flamin hand up me, i was proper screamin my head off cuz she wa hurtin me that much then. The sister who was lookin after me while i was in labour was lovely though, she wa really down to earth and calmed me down while i wa havin my epidural and everythin in and thanks to her my son arrived safely.

Norfolk ward is where i got transferred to the mornin after my lil man arrived and i HATED it, everyone on there was nasty bar 1 midwife, she really helped me out when i was breastfeedin. The others were all nasty and 1 complained because i asked her to change my bedding when my son was sick on it as though i could have helped it. They didn't change my bedding at all on Concord ward and i was there 3 days, they didn't tell me where a shower room was or anything so i felt reeeally disgusting.

Some of these complaints are truly alarming and to be honest those who have a bad experience should be putting it down in writing, not on a forum but to the chief exec of the hospital!!

I work on a ward at the Hallamshire and hygiene is the no 1 priority. We're not even allowed to touch a patient without gloves on, and rightly so.

But the hygiene of many of the patients leaves a lot to be desired. I'd say over half of the patients I take to the loo walk out without washing their hands, it takes a prompt from me for them to go back and wash them.

But if you are witnessing staff not following hospital procedures then it must be reported. Believe me, your complaint will be taken seriously. So please put pen to paper and give details of your experience and help to make the hospital cleaner for future patients.:thumbsup:

I really feel for those of you who feel that they have had bad experiences however i think that sometimes staff can not do right for doing wrong.many people would appreciate and specifically ask for a side room to be shoved in as 4 bed bays are noisy and they cant sleep etc.I can understand why you would appreciate being told why they were taking your blood and it is part of the midwives and doctors role how ever at any point you could have asked and I'm sure they would have explained.you might not have had pre eclampsia the whole time you were in hosp as it develops and often the midwives no what is happening around the same point you do as they are informed by the doctors who make the decisions about everything including bloods and prostin etc.also even tho you had prostin in does not mean you were in labour and the fact they gave you a second dose would suggest you were not in labour therefore they still needed more. out of interest how many times should they have visited you in a day?I also find it hard to believe that all the staff were 'nasty' having had both my children at jessops and attended a couple of births with friends this seems a little bit of a stretch of the imagination.I hope you who have had bad experiences have complained so that these can be brought to staff attention and like wise those that have had good experiences have done similar so the staff know what works.sorry for the rant but some posts infuriate me.

We were at jessops for the birth of our son 5 months ago. My experience was that the staff and the place itself were excellent. The level of care was second to none. The labour room could have been a bit better decorated - it was a bit tatty - but it was clean. They also let us have a private room afterwards which made all the difference in my view and i was able to stay the night with my new born son - we were lucky in that respect but i think that was because we treated the staff with the respect they deserved. I get the feeling that they save the rooms for people who have more difficult labours, and when there is enough room, for the people who they take a liking too.

It's really worth complaining if you feel that things are not up to standard.

I had my DD down in Derby, and I had terrible care and the place was filthy. There was standing water and blood in the toilet/shower room that I was next to (I had a lovely view of the toilet from my bed), you had to stand in the pool to use the toilet. The care was awful and I have no doubt that the lack of care was part of the reason we ended up with my DD being admitted into the children's ward at 5 days old.

I complained after my stay and actually saw them in person and spoke to Manager of the department. They took my complaint seriously whilst I was there and I hope that I helped them to re-evalulate areas of care and hygiene and that other Mothers and Babies had a better experience because of it. So please complain, the more geniue complaints they recieve, means that they will have to sit up and listen and hopefully act.

one of my kids caught mrsa from hospital which at the time we did not know what it was, i dont want it to happen again. i only have 13 weeks left of this pregnancy and im really scared of the whole thing birth ect