Should Qatar check the rules before entering sporting competitions?

With regards the following story:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/sns-rt-us-games-asian-qatar-20140924-story.html

Qatar pulled out of the women's basketball competition at the Asian Games on Thursday after refusing to abide by international regulations preventing them from wearing hijabs, while organizers said they were powerless to do anything about it.

Should they have checked the rules regarding clothing regulations before entering the competition; or, were they right to challenge the rules and turn up anyway?

Lol, imagine if, under the hijabs, they were all blokes.

I imagine they knew what was going to happen...

Unless there were good reasons (competitive advantage or H&S issues), I can't see why they shouldn't be allowed.

I don't like rules. The only rule I ever liked was "close the door after you". That was a clever rule, stopped wilderbeasts and the like running amok through ones house.

In regards to the qutar women wearing hijabs I don't see the problem as long as the other team are allowed to take advantage by pulling the hijabs down to cover the eyes of the Qatar ladies, this would make the game much more interesting. Also every member of the team should have their legs tied to one other teammate like in a 3 legged race. Also every player should be supplied with a water pistol. Please lobby your local mp in regards to the rule changes I have suggested, they would make the game much more interesting.

Lol, imagine if, under the hijabs, they were all blokes.

I would expect it would be obvious - the hijab doesnt cover the face, just the hair.

With regards the following story:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/sns-rt-us-games-asian-qatar-20140924-story.html

Should they have checked the rules regarding clothing regulations before entering the competition; or, were they right to challenge the rules and turn up anyway?

No they should alter the rules or move the goal posts to suit Qatar just like FIFA seem to have done regarding the World Cup

No they should alter the rules or move the goal posts to suit Qatar just like FIFA seem to have done regarding the World Cup

Good idea!

Qatar has lots of natural gas and lots of money.

The UK has neither (or so the ConDemNation coalition keep telling us)