Damp to bay window on one side

Hi

We bought a house in October with no signs of damp. After a few months in the lounge after taking up carpet and redecorating we have had a continuing problem under the bay window sill on the right side. There is damp under the window sill and what looks like rising damp from the skirting board with patches random places on the wall in the middle.

My partner has repointed areas outside that look like it could have been a problem and resealed under the outside window sill but the problem continues. Cannot see any sign of gutter leaking down the wall either. The cellar immediately below has an air vent.

Any ideas of what else could be the problem and recommendations of people to come take a look and quote. Its only an isolated area so am reluctant to pay £125+ for a damp survey of the entire house

Thanks in advance

How old is the house lynsey,and do you know if there is a DPC installed.

Yes it is pvc bay window, and I'm pretty sure the house has and it is a typical bay window terrace built around 1900 :)

Is the right hand side the side that the prevailing wind would drive rain to? Plastic windows are notorious for water to be driven into the brickwork/render if they are not fitted properly.

Yes it must be as my partner always comments how it seems to be the side that the rain hammers down on!! i just wasn't sure if it would be that as the damp comes under the sill but also seems to come up from the skirting as well although the skirting board itself isn't damp..

Check the gap is sealed between the underside of the plastic sill and brick or stone sill. If there is a stone sill there will a groove on the underside which is a drip. This often gets filled with paint so causes water to run under the sill and into the brickwork.

Also bear in mind that bays are often poorly built and are not tied into the front brickwork. They are often solid brick with headers so damp can strike straight through.

Get the drips in order and the gaps between sill and sill/bricks then either seal the bricks with Thompsons in the pointing is ok or consider rendering it.

Quite common to get condensation in bays as well seeing how they are built and lack of ventilation provided in older houses.