Aggressive Drivers in Sheffield who honk

I've lived in this city as a student for the past three years and I had a few question on how some people drive in Sheffield. I have this perception that people often are too ready to honk pedestrians, often illegitimately. Here are some incidents that I've encountered thus far.

1. I lived in Endcliffe in my first year and there were about 5 or 6 times when I happened to be walking on a pavement located right in front of someone's garage or private parking space, and I got honked by a car that tried to get into them because they had to stop in the middle of the road to wait for me to get out of their way. I actually got into a fight/row two of these times, both times coincidentally with a gentleman wearing a suit and driving an Audi or a Mercedes.

2. This is also a frequent incident which happens often in a crossroad. I get honked quite often, at least once a month, because a car was trying to turn from one road to another and I happened to be in their way. I usually check every car's turn signals (blinkers) in order to check if any car wants to turn to another road by seeing which direction they intend to go to. The problem here is that many drivers here don't even use their blinkers, which misleads pedestrians to trust that they would probably just go straight. Similarly, I have gotten into rows with angry drivers concerning this case.

3. This doesn't happen so often because it probably is entirely illegal, but some drivers don't like pathways that give pedestrians the upper hand. My girlfriend was almost run over a couple of days ago because a driver of a nice sedan was driving at top speed alongside Weston Park, and she didn't want to stop to let my girlfriend to pass.

I was just wondering if these cases are quite frequent for the people of Sheffield, of if there was anything wrong that I was doing... I have to admit, it really does ruin my day when things like this happen.

I was taught in driving school to ALWAYS wait for the pedestrian to get out of the way before making a turn or entering any parking space, and check if there are any coming before I do what I need to do. It seems rather aggressive for some drivers to go on road rage just because I or anyone else made them stop in the middle of the road.

Guest sibon

I spend a lot of time walking around the city and rarely experience any aggression from car drivers.

Maybe you should review your walking style.

Mate,the roads are full of idiots who dont even know what lane to drive in nowadays,strange thing is these dim wits seem to have worked out where the horn is and go round looking for an excuse to vent their anger at failing in life on others.

I spend a lot of time walking around the city and rarely experience any aggression from car drivers.

Maybe you should review your walking style.

That's what I thought, but I don't know what I'm doing that's wrong. I walk normally like everyone else. At least I think I do.

Guest sibon

How quickly do you get across the junctions? If you seem to be dawdling, I guess that some drivers will become impatient.

Mate,the roads are full of idiots who dont even know what lane to drive in nowadays,strange thing is these dim wits seem to have worked out where the horn is and go round looking for an excuse to vent their anger at failing in life on others.

For some reason, though, the majority of the drivers that honk me seem to ride nice cars. So it's successful people who seem to go on road rage...

---------- Post added 22-09-2014 at 18:21 ----------

How quickly do you get across the junctions? If you seem to be dawdling, I guess that some drivers will become impatient.

I'm originally from a big city so I walk fairly quickly. I notice that I have to walk past some people people here they walk too slowly for me.

But it's never the case that they stop their car by the road and wait for me to walk past, but more the case that they try to smoothly drive into another road without pause or hesitation and end up getting upset that someone is in their way.

---------- Post added 22-09-2014 at 18:23 ----------

I would rather be tooted at than run over!

I think England will fall as a nation if people have to decide between being honked all the time and frequently getting run over... :hihi:

Thankfully, though, Britain has one of the lowest road fatalities in the world. It ranks beside countries that are commonly considered to be more "organized" in Scandinavia.

I would rather be tooted at than run over!

Good thinking!! :hihi::hihi:

Many drivers don't seem to bother indicating for pedestrians.

Many drivers don't seem to bother indicating for pedestrians.

Most use two fingers :hihi:

Any driver who aggressively honks their car horn isn't going to ever think the other person is right. Annoying as it is, if you want to be safe, always wait until there is a clear space to cross the road. I was once nearly run over on a pedestrian crossing which moved from green to amber whilst I was crossing and the car driver yelled at me!

I actually took his number and reported him to the police but they said unless he actually knocked me over, there wasn't anything they could do.