Private Help for migraines?

Does anybody know of any private migraine clinics in or around Sheffield? Having suffered for over 20 years and tried a variety of drugs, I've been referred to the Headache & Migraine Clinic on Duke Street in Sheffield.....but... it took over 8 months after being referred to actually get an appointment, then I only saw the Doctor for 10 minutes. He put me on anti-epileptic drugs as a preventative and said he would see me in 3 months.

I'm not sure they're working :( and I'm not supposed to take triptans any more either...so am just suffering.

I've heard really good things and would like to try botox for migraines but I'm not sure I can stand waiting for another appointment, trying yet another tablet...etc and begging to get referred. So I am willing to pay to go private and get this sorted. If only I could find somewhere.

HAVE YOU ASKED the migrane trust if they can suggest any one.or help to fix you up somewhere close by.

Hi - How long have you had the anti-epileptic drugs for? They have to get to a therapeutic level in your system before they start to work. I have trigeminal neuralgia and cluster headaches. Its been a big balancing act and has taken a while to get the right mix of drugs to help keep it at bay. I still get it but nowhere near as often. If I forget for a couple of days (as I forgot them when I had a weekend break) it's very telling.

Hi,

I suffered with migraines for years - I know how awful they are. Mine used to paralyze me for up to a week in extreme nerve pain down one side of my face and body. Worse pain than childbirth!

Anyway, I was on a number of different anti-epileptic drugs and the only ones that prevented the migraines was Nurotonin (can't remember proper spelling).

I had to come off these when I got pregnant so I looked at other options. I went for physiotherapy at Sheffield Therapy Centre and they said that there were many trapped nerves in my neck because I was so tense all up my neck, right down to the middle of my back. They massaged the area once a week over about 4 sessions and I've never felt better - honestly.

I know everyone's migraines are caused by different things but I would definitely recommend seeing first if your nerves are caught between knots of muscles right up the top of your neck like mine were.

Worth a try! You need a proper physio though!

i suffer chronic migraine, ive been through hundreds of meds, im now on botox. I eventually went out of my area and saw a recommended consultant nick silver based at Warrington and the Walton Clinic, he has helped me loads and now ive gone back to my local consultant with his overview. Ive suffered for years and he has been brilliant. i had to persuade my gp to reffer me . but she did when id tried everything. dont give up and im here for support if you need it. http://www.thewaltoncentre.nhs.uk/

Depends on reason. I suffered for years, after hysterectomy about 18 years ago I have never had another. OHs were caused by an egg allergy

I read an article recently that said people with migraine should be tested for Coeliac disease . Have you been tested ?

Does anybody know of any private migraine clinics in or around Sheffield? Having suffered for over 20 years and tried a variety of drugs, I've been referred to the Headache & Migraine Clinic on Duke Street in Sheffield.....but... it took over 8 months after being referred to actually get an appointment, then I only saw the Doctor for 10 minutes. He put me on anti-epileptic drugs as a preventative and said he would see me in 3 months.

I'm not sure they're working :( and I'm not supposed to take triptans any more either...so am just suffering.

I've heard really good things and would like to try botox for migraines but I'm not sure I can stand waiting for another appointment, trying yet another tablet...etc and begging to get referred. So I am willing to pay to go private and get this sorted. If only I could find somewhere.

Hi,

You sound like me.

I have been given topamax. 2yrs ago. Im on 100mg a day (50mg in a morning and 50mg at night) and for me they have improved my life. I got in a point that i was getting migraines everyday and I was rebounding from imigran, co-codamol etc as well. So i went cold turkey while the topamax kicked in. I also started on anti-depressants at the same time because my migraines caused depression.

I now only maybe once a week or so take an imigran or a couple of cocodamol which for me is a massive improvement.

I have also had migraine botox which sue bradford (bedford?) from the headache clinic on duke street reffered me for which was done at the hallamshire. Which i must say i found agonising :( I have only had one round of it so far but as yet cant tell any difference.

Edited by Chazndave

Have you thought about acupuncture? It's a really effective treatment for migraines.

As part of Migraine Awareness Week (6-12 Sept although treatments can be booked outside these dates), we are offering free treatment to migraine sufferers.

See our website [Google Devonshire Acupuncture] for more details about acupuncture and the clinic, with information about the free treatment in our blog. If you would like to have a free confidential chat please give us a ring on 0114 327 3240.

Have you considered Botox? I had migraines and tried it and although I still get headaches, I very rarely get a migraine, maybe twice a year when I have to take migraine meds. My niece also very rarely gets one now and she has it too

A pal of mine used to suffer from migraines, he researched deeply in to it, the answer wasn't what drugs/medicines or pills would fix it, it was a change in lifestyle.

This will take more work than dropping pills.

He cut all dairy products out of his diet, inc milk in tea etc, and became a vegetarian, also took up loads of exercising.

I've read that parasites in the body can cause migraines too. Going through a body detox eliminates the body eating monsters.

Here's a starter, lots of reading, so be prepared if you really want to...

http://www.curezone.org/diseases/parasites/herbalcure1.asp

good luck

Try acupuncture. ...