Underactive thyroid

I have recently been diagnosed with under active thyroid and put on 25mcg of levothyroxine, after two weeks on it , I have never felt so ill .. The Gp has told me to stop immediately and to get it out of my system and go back to see her in 2 weeks, has anyone had reactions to this drug.

My TSH level is 5.8 the nausea, burning up, headaches confusion sweats and joint pain were off the scale and the exhaustion was horrendous once I started taken them, I have been reading about reactions to this drug from other people, the GP said there is another drug to try but after being on the low dose and feeling so bad, its worrying. I didn't really have the typical symptoms of being under active, in fact I asked if a blood test could see if I was perimenopausal, and was called back and told about my thyroid I didn't have any of the above until I took this med.. any advice ?

I'm sorry I don't have any advice but I know for a fact that the NHS is absolutely rubbish at dealing with hormone problems. I have testosterone problems after abusing anabolic steroids and they refuse to help me.

I have an appointment next May in Belgium with one of the best endos in the world. The NHS are destroying me and I don't want to self medicate because you need to be monitored and it can be extremely dangerous.

I too 'had' an under active thyroid, mine seemed to correct itself during pregnancy and has stayed pretty normal since!

About your complaint of feeling ill, it could be one of the additives the 'non active ingredients' in the medication you are taking. It may be worth speaking to the doc and seeing if you could possibly get another prescription to try a different pharmacy that uses a different manufacturer!