I need some advise please very aggressive basset hound

If you're more stubborn than him and succeed in getting him to toe the line then good on you, because that's what most of the foster carers that do this do- they just keep going longer than the dog does.

When you show the dog that you will keep going longer than they will then you're showing them that if action needs to be taken you will take it, if someone needs to intervene you will do it, and if someone needs to protect him (or the other dogs) then you'll protect them, therefore he doesn't need to do any of it.

Couple that with treats for doing the right things and you're gradually shaping his behaviour away from bad and towards good with every bit of good behaviour you buy from him with a treat, and Jenny putting him in his place is probably a good thing too, because she's backing you up.

We had a dog in for over a year and in that time he was so hard to handle we couldn't even work out whether he was neutered (it's not that easy to tell by looking on long haired dogs, you need to get close enough to have a check by hand) and he was adopted by a very shepherd savvy person to go and live on a farm where he would at least have a good life and be away from lots of people, who appeared to be the major thing that terrified him.

On arriving at his new home he was so terrified (for most people, read that as aggressive) that he attacked his new owner so badly that he needed hospital treatment even through his leather jacket, but within a month he was learning that going out for a walk with his human and the other dogs was fun, that the other dogs and his owner would look after him and tell him when he was getting out of line and suddenly he found that he didn't need to guard all of the space around him because there was nobody that he felt he had to keep away from him. Within 3 months I was sent a photo of him lying on his back to have his tummy fur groomed, which is a stunning position for a dog that scared.

It can be done- I hope that you get there with Stanley :)

Medusa

it's funny you should say that about jenny

stanley was being very aggressive and stubborn not wanting to get off the bed and at that time june happened to be on the bed and really went for

stanley and gave him a good telling off as if to say do as your told he still gets on the bed ( working progress )

but that day when june told him off he didn't go on again :hihi: :hihi:

and sometimes when he is being a pain and not behaving he gets a good telling off by june she looks after her mummy :love: :love:

Edited by fabcakes

Credit to you fabcakes, I know you were very strict with where the pups went, it just shows none of us are perfect. Like I said total respect for what you are doing, and I hope it continues favourably. Xx

Next thing I'd ask is, is he neutered? Is your other dog neutered? It might help with the aggression if they're both given the snip if they aren't already

Next thing I'd ask is, is he neutered? Is your other dog neutered? It might help with the aggression if they're both given the snip if they aren't already

yes they are both neutered I know it wouldn't of worked otherwise ;):thumbsup:

Credit to you fabcakes, I know you were very strict with where the pups went, it just shows none of us are perfect. Like I said total respect for what you are doing, and I hope it continues favourably. Xx

thank you hun

even thought they are with their loving owners

they are still my babies & love to hear about them :love::thumbsup:

Edited by fabcakes

he pinched a pizza out of my daughters hand this dinner time & I fetched it back out of his mouth

I really would advise against doing this again unless you want to risk getting bitten or giving him even more reason to be food proud; you need to be building his trust in you if you want to stop this and his fear aggression.

Set him up to succeed then reward him when he does. If he is crate trained you could crate him before you start to eat so that he doesn’t have the opportunity to steal. Give him a Kong or something else to occupy him and then reward him if/when he settles in his crate after he has finished playing with it.

Have you thought about getting professional help with him?

Edited by Teas

I really would advise against doing this again unless you want to risk getting bitten or giving him even more reason to be food proud; you need to be building his trust in you if you want to stop this and his fear aggression.

Set him up to succeed then reward him when he does. If he is crate trained you could crate him before you start to eat so that he doesn’t have the opportunity to steal. Give him a Kong or something else to occupy him and then reward him if/when he settles in his crate after he has finished playing with it.

Have you thought about getting professional help with him?

I understand your concern

but i was carful when I came to take it out of his mouth

I know it sounds strange but I knew he wasn't going to bite

he acts different when he is that way

I seem to be doing ok at the moment having a guide dog

you learn a lot about dogs & their ways & I know if i am struggling

I just need to ask Ian my guide dog trainer & he will let me know ware

im going wrong etc ;)

Is it ever worth the risk?

All it could take is one bite for him to realise that biting is effective, especially if you ignore the other signs that he is giving to say that he is unhappy, which is what the squealing could have meant.

How are you getting on fabcakes? :) xx

making progress

I not pushing every time he went outside

to get him back in was a chore but a couple of days ago

he just came in ... no growling at me & his eyes wasn't as

come near me & i'm going to bite you look ;)

he had a drink next to gorge again without any aggravation

the others tell him off if he gets a bit much

witch I allow & its keeping at bay

his whole mood has changed from being aggressive all the time

to just a little now he still needs a lot of work but a little progress

is good progress

coming in with no fuss he still kicks off now & again

but he is a lot better

Jenny keeping Stanley in check

1st time Gorge , Jenny & Stanley played together

still a bit dominant but getting better

second playtime on the back garden

& the good thing is June joins in

1st time they had a drink together without

Stanley aggressively chasing the others away whoopee :hihi:

Is it ever worth the risk?

All it could take is one bite for him to realise that biting is effective, especially if you ignore the other signs that he is giving to say that he is unhappy, which is what the squealing could have meant.

no believe me it was a submitting squeal

& if I got bit then it will have been my fault

but I knew he wasn't going to bite

his body language wasn't showing he was going to bite ;)

I know what signs to look for & they was not aggressive signs :)

Edited by fabcakes

Oh wow Fabcakes........ I was expecting a little aggression shown but not acted upon but these videos were fantastic to watch I've been following this thread to see how you got on (was gutted for you AND Stanley when he had to come back)........... keep doing whatever it is you are doing :)