Monitor flashing on and off

:help: :help: :help:

The monitor on my PC keeps flashing on and off. The screen goes black and then a few seconds later comes back again. Sometimes it happens every few seconds and then it can go several minutes of an hour without doing it.

It is not the monitor itself as I have tried it with another one and it does the same and I have tried a different cables. There soesn't appear to be any sort of power drain as the green "on" light stays on. I have run virus checks and there is nothing so I'm thinking it must be something to do with the PC itself.

Anyone got any suggestions? :huh: :huh: :huh:

Thanks

I had exactly the same with a CRT monitor, turned out there was a dry crack in a circuit board. Turn the thing on for a few minutes, board heats & expands slightly, cutting the contact & monitor turns off.

Sound about right?

High voltage psu could be on it's was out.

I have a nice Panasonic 15 inch one for a fiver...

:)

or it could be that a pin on the connector is faulty or chipped off,

it happened to my monitor

sounds like a dry connection to me

I had exactly the same with a CRT monitor, turned out there was a dry crack in a circuit board. Turn the thing on for a few minutes, board heats & expands slightly, cutting the contact & monitor turns off.

Sound about right?

Not really because it goes off for a few seconds and then comes back again. It also doesn't do it unless you are doing something with an application you have open - seems to be triggered when a signal is being sent to the monitor, if that makes sense!

High voltage psu could be on it's was out.

I have a nice Panasonic 15 inch one for a fiver...

:)

Shouldn't be. I only fitted a new, more powerful one about 6 months ago (no that's not when the problem started!). There are plenty of fans so I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with overheating either.

sounds like a dry connection to me

A what?!?! Isn't that what you get when the wife's asleep?

or it could be that a pin on the connector is faulty or chipped off, it happened to my monitor

The monitor is OK because I tried a different one but I suppose it could be the connector/card on my PC - do these "go"? Could that be the cause? Should I replace it or are there any other suggestions?

Thanks for your advice... keep it coming!

The high voltage PSU powers the tube in the monitor and is part of the monitor, nothing to do with the PSU in the computer.

You say you tried a different monitor and what?? got thee same problem?? If so then boot the computer up in safe mode and see if it works fine, if it does it could be a driver issue. Uninstall the driver and reinstall it. If it does it even in safe mode on both monitors then I would try a different graphics card.

Actually, I had something almost identical to that too, PC with 2 monitors at work, & when I fired up Google Earth & zoomed in too much BOTH monitors blacked out (even the one not displaying the program), but the green lights stayed on...

Try latest drivers?

have a look at the connection pins on both devices, check and see if both are clean and aligned. if the pronblem still persists go to maplins and by a new connector for a couple of pounds,

if that doesn't work check the cable its self for any dints or kinks....

The high voltage PSU powers the tube in the monitor and is part of the monitor, nothing to do with the PSU in the computer.

You say you tried a different monitor and what?? got thee same problem?? If so then boot the computer up in safe mode and see if it works fine, if it does it could be a driver issue. Uninstall the driver and reinstall it. If it does it even in safe mode on both monitors then I would try a different graphics card.

OK we seem to be getting somewhere! I restarted in safe mode and it isn't doing it!

However, as it's a plug and play monitor, I didn't install any driver with it. I have found the CD that came with it and installed the driver but it hasn't changed anything? :confused:

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to uninstall whatever driver it was using before (I assume there is some sort of generic plug and play drive that comes with XP)?

Don't give up on me... I'm nearly there! :help:

A what?!?! Isn't that what you get when the wife's asleep?

QUOTE]

its when the connection on a wire or a circuit starts to deteriate a clean up or a little soldier usally fixes it

Not the monitor driver the video card driver. right click my computer, select properties, hardware,device manager, display adaptors. right click on the contents of display adaptors and select uninstall, it should let you do it. Restart the computer, it should come up with found new hardware, if you can just install a standard VGA adpaptor. Download new drivers from the interent for your video card and install them...