Monitor flashing on and off

Not the monitor driver the video card driver. right click my computer, select properties, hardware,device manager, display adaptors. right click on the contents of display adaptors and select uninstall, it should let you do it. Restart the computer, it should come up with found new hardware, if you can just install a standard VGA adpaptor. Download new drivers from the interent for your video card and install them...

It worked find after the uninstall ans re-boot. I then found the name on the video card and downloaded and installed a driver for that card. It is working much better now but there is still the occassional "blink".

I'm going to show my ignorance now but why do you need a video card driver if it works without one? :confused: Are there some things the computer won't be able to do with the driver?

If you are running XP it would have detected your card and installed it automatically so you would have had the correct driver already installed but may not have known. The card makers constantly refine them and iron out problems so it's worth using the most up to date drivers, and as windows XP has been about a while the drivers on it will be old ones. The ones on your system may have become corrupted which could have been casuing your problems.

:)

If you are running XP it would have detected your card and installed it automatically so you would have had the correct driver already installed but may not have known. The card makers constantly refine them and iron out problems so it's worth using the most up to date drivers, and as windows XP has been about a while the drivers on it will be old ones. The ones on your system may have become corrupted which could have been casuing your problems.

It detected that there was "new hardware" i.e. Video Controller (VGA compatible). But the wizard was unable to install it because it couldn't find the "necessary software", which I take to mean the driver.

I therefore looked on the actual card itself for the make and model which was WinFast A170. I did a search for a Winfast A170 driver, downloaded and installed it. Unfortunately, it seemed better for a while but it's now back to it's annoying self!

I've therefore uninstalled again and am now wonder why I need the driver as the computer seems to work fine without it!?!? :huh:

Are you using a refresh rate that the monitor can't handle?

Don't know, how would I check?

Installing the driver would set the refresh rate to the adaptor default which should be 60hz.

You can check it; right click windows backgroud, properties, settings, advanced, monitor, refresh rate. 60hz is the lowest, moist monitors will do 85 hz happily. try it at 60 if it's not already.

did you say it did this with both monitors?

The refresh rate is the "Default for hardware" and that's the only option I have.

The computer seems to be working fine without the video card driver so I think I'll leave it... what does it do anyway?

My thanks to neeeeeeek and everyone else. :clap::thumbsup::clap:

Without a video card driver your video card wont work! As long as it's working now. :)

Without a video card driver your video card wont work! As long as it's working now. :)

Yes it will!

How can you get a screen up and running even before you install an OS!

Actually, how does this happen?

Does every card have some sort of generic driver that the BIOS holds?

It just won't work to it's full potential untill the right driver is installed.

Ok, won't work as well as intented if you want to nitpick!

Ideally I'd install the correct driver but every one I have downloaded and tried has resulted in the same fault. At least the PC is usable now i.e. I can surf the web, use Word, Excel etc. I'm not sure what things I can't do just yet but will no doubt find out as time goes by!

Coud the reason I get the same fault whenever I re-install a driver be because there is a fault with the video card? A fault that only appears when the driver makes it (fully) functional? :huh:

I think you are right, the card is probably dodgy. Get a new one.

hi my elonex exentia is doing that any help please i orderd cd recovery disc from elonex last week but it still keeps doing it every time i click on any thing its stressing me out now :confused: