Mass shootings in America

23 minutes ago, Ridgewalk said:

Perhaps we have a problem with violence as well ?

We definitely do.

Which is part of why we aren't allowed guns.

6 hours ago, Ridgewalk said:

To us non gun toting Brits it is hard to fathom  a culture where mass shootings by lone unhinged people appear to happen quite frequently.

In other news a six year old French national has been thrown off the 10th floor of a building by a 17 year old, in the UKs most visited tourist spot, and English Rugby fans have been fighting at a rugby match in southern France.

It wasn't just the fans fighting at the rugby match.  The violence happened in synchrony with a mass brawl and punch up on the pitch too, for which half a dozen players have already received bans between 1 and 4 matches, with another one awaiting a tribunal which could result in a ban in the region of 4-6 matches.  The incident resulted in 2 red cards and (I think) 4 yellows.

It has no place in our sport, or in sport in general, but in rugby it's rare.  I'm more worried about the growth in knife crime though.

13 hours ago, Ridgewalk said:

To us non gun toting Brits it is hard to fathom  a culture where mass shootings by lone unhinged people appear to happen quite frequently.

In other news a six year old French national has been thrown off the 10th floor of a building by a 17 year old, in the UKs most visited tourist spot, and English Rugby fans have been fighting at a rugby match in southern France.

We do, but thankfully what we DONT have is a second amendment that allows the violence to reach such extremes.  These common massacres are just the tip of the iceberg, dont forget the number of one off shootings that are just the normal routine in the land of the loon

16 hours ago, taxman said:

Trump is now blaming violent video games and the internet and claiming that the shooters were mentally ill.

No mention of gun laws.

He ought to look at Japan then- pioneers of video games and yet one of the most peaceful countries in the world.

33 minutes ago, Mr Fisk said:

He ought to look at Japan then- pioneers of video games and yet one of the most peaceful countries in the world.

But then, Japan also has some of the strictest anti-gun ownership legislation on earth.

Fully agree on the sentiment all the same.

Videogames-blaming, whenever a mass shooting occurs, is an argument that must be going back to what? About 30-35 years, by now? (Doom & Mortal Kombat, beloved of the 'antis' in context, date back to '92-93). Long scientifically-investigated and disproved since, as well.

Americans are, all things considered, in all likelihood no more violent nor deranged than in any other 1st world nation. Mass casualty-producing shootings in the US are simply down to the ease of acquisition, legal or not, of high-powered, high-magazine capacity firearms.

There isn't a single European country I know, where a private individual can legally buy a semi-automatic (never mind fully automatic) rifle in 5.56, 7.62 or 7.92 calibre (Swiss reservists excluded). In the US, they just about sell them in Walmart's.

Edited by L00b

17 hours ago, taxman said:

Trump is now blaming violent video games and the internet and claiming that the shooters were mentally ill.

No mention of gun laws.

He is probably right. Mortal Kombat, Doom and Tomb Raider are terribly violent. Its only natural that after playing one of these "games" someone would turn postal.

Ban video games. Thats the answer.

2 hours ago, L00b said:

But then, Japan also has some of the strictest anti-gun ownership legislation on earth.

Fully agree on the sentiment all the same.

Videogames-blaming, whenever a mass shooting occurs, is an argument that must be going back to what? About 30-35 years, by now? (Doom & Mortal Kombat, beloved of the 'antis' in context, date back to '92-93). Long scientifically-investigated and disproved since, as well.

Americans are, all things considered, in all likelihood no more violent nor deranged than in any other 1st world nation. Mass casualty-producing shootings in the US are simply down to the ease of acquisition, legal or not, of high-powered, high-magazine capacity firearms.

There isn't a single European country I know, where a private individual can legally buy a semi-automatic (never mind fully automatic) rifle in 5.56, 7.62 or 7.92 calibre (Swiss reservists excluded). In the US, they just about sell them in Walmart's.

Good post.

That is the crux of the matter- until gun laws change, America will continue to have these mass shootings.

Whether the shooter has motive or not.

2 hours ago, Waj said:

He is probably right. Mortal Kombat, Doom and Tomb Raider are terribly violent. Its only natural that after playing one of these "games" someone would turn postal.

Ban video games. Thats the answer.

Now this time you are being sarcastic, right!? 

1 hour ago, Robin-H said:

Now this time you are being sarcastic, right!? 

Yes. You can rest easy. That was 100% sarcasm.

WOW its been one weekend in the US

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/6/1/21275944/chicago-weekend-shootings-most-violent-weekend-2020-may-29-june-1

82 shot

19 killed

in one city

I posted it in here as its definitely a MASS shooting, and didnt want to tar the memory of George Floyd posting it in his thread, however you look at it, these shootings are wrong

5 minutes ago, melthebell said:

WOW its been one weekend in the US

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/6/1/21275944/chicago-weekend-shootings-most-violent-weekend-2020-may-29-june-1

82 shot

19 killed

in one city

I posted it in here as its definitely a MASS shooting, and didnt want to tar the memory of George Floyd posting it in his thread, however you look at it, these shootings are wrong

I think Chicago have fairly strict (for the US) gun laws. But I bet if checked the numbers on any given weekend in May or June last hear you'd find one with similar numbers.

37 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I think Chicago have fairly strict (for the US) gun laws. But I bet if checked the numbers on any given weekend in May or June last hear you'd find one with similar numbers.

Reading its wiki page its close but no cigar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Chicago

although it doesnt list 2019

2016 - 769 murders (92 in one month)

2017 - 653

2018 - 561

this says 492 in 2019

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2020/1/1/21045319/chicago-2019-crime-stats-decrease-murders-shootings-gun-violence-police-department-lightfoot

those are per year, feel free to find out how many in a single weekend

Although i found the gun possession sentence bit interesting

Chicago has been criticized for comparatively light sentencing guidelines for those found illegally in possession of a firearm. Most people convicted of illegal gun possession receive the minimum sentence, one year, a Chicago Sun-Times analysis found, and serve less than half of the sentence because of time for good behavior and pre-trial confinement. The minimum sentence for felons found in possession of a firearm is two years. Those charged with simple gun possession had an average of four prior arrests. Those charged with gun possession by a felon had an average of ten prior arrests

Edited by melthebell