Mass shootings in America

As you will probably know, all of us LGBTs and allies have had a weekend of sorrow and sadness following the tragic shootings at the Pulse club in Orlando.

A vigil has been arranged in Peace Gardens, in the city centre THIS WEDNESDAY, 15TH JUNE as a dignified demonstration of solidarity and remembrance. The details are HERE on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/1722814587993340/

Other things you can do include wearing a black armband when visiting LGBT venues and events, and flying the LGBT Rainbow Flag at half mast, even if it is just a small toy one in your front window or on your car.

See also the Sheffield Gay Thread in the 'Going Out' Section.

Blessings,

Tia Anna.

Donald Trump, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, used the tragedy to prop up his controversial call for a ban on all Muslims entering the US, in a tweet in which he said: “What has happened in Orlando is just the beginning. Our leadership is weak and ineffective. I called it and asked for the ban. Must be tough.”

He's also linked the shooting to Syrian refugees.

He seems to have overlooked the fact that the shooter was born in New York.

Pretty much every time he opens his mouth he shows the world how unfit he is for office. Clueless

---------- Post added 14-06-2016 at 07:26 ----------

Rather have him than Abraham's genocidal thug of a god.

Can a made up character really be genocidal? :huh:

To me this has yet again all the hallmarks of a maniac using 'terrorism' as a cover for carrying out his attack. It was reported this morning he used to be in this club quite a lot. It makes me wonder if the next stories coming out are that he was indeed gay and firmly in the closet. Struggled with his sexual identity, went crazy/was suffering from mental disease, and decided to shoot those he found guilty of making him gay.

Speculation of course, but it wouldn't be the first time that someone said one thing and then was found to have used it as a motive to do another.

To me this has yet again all the hallmarks of a maniac using 'terrorism' as a cover for carrying out his attack. It was reported this morning he used to be in this club quite a lot. It makes me wonder if the next stories coming out are that he was indeed gay and firmly in the closet. Struggled with his sexual identity, went crazy/was suffering from mental disease, and decided to shoot those he found guilty of making him gay.

Speculation of course, but it wouldn't be the first time that someone said one thing and then was found to have used it as a motive to do another.

Funny enough I was thinking the same thing last night- perhaps even his 'marriage' was a way to tackle is own sexuality (the ex wife has already described him as being mentally unstable).

I don't think this has anything to do with religion, there is no link and in my opinion just another maniac with a gun who decided to go out with a bang..literally.

Funny enough I was thinking the same thing last night- perhaps even his 'marriage' was a way to tackle is own sexuality (the ex wife has already described him as being mentally unstable).

I don't think this has anything to do with religion, there is no link and in my opinion just another maniac with a gun who decided to go out with a bang..literally.

You don't think his religion and it's attutude to homosexuals played any part in it?

His father has been pretty outspoken about what should happen to homosexuals, and the language used points directly at religion.

Like this guy?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3639262/Orlando-shooting-victims-targeted-pastor-s-hate-filled-rant.html

We can forget about whataboutism when you stop being wrong.

Pray tell what courage you have spouting uneducated dross behind the mask of a children's TV show character.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/06/12/orlando-nightclub-muslim-reaction/85790320/

So Islam doesn't have exclusivity when it comes to religiously induce intolerance... so what? It has the biggest problem with it by far and that is why it get's singled out for the most criticism.

---------- Post added 14-06-2016 at 10:22 ----------

Is anyone ignoring it? I suppose another way of asking the question is "What would not ignoring it look like?" In the UK most people support gay marriage, don't kick off when the see same sex couples holding hands, and are tolerant of different sexualities. Surely that is challenging conservatives of all stripes, including Muslims, to deal with it. What else should people be doing, do you think?

I think we should start by applying the Equalities Act consistently and not making religious exceptions. We have mosques (and churches) teaching people that homosexuality is a crime and is so despised by god that he will burn homosexuals in hell for all eternity. It really is hateful and intolerant nonsense and we should not bend our laws to avoid having to challenge the religious on this.

And as for most people supporting gay marriage in this country... yes, that is true. But not most Muslims. Most Muslims would make it a crime. The 'mainstream' view is religiously induced, intolerant and extreme compared to how most people think. It needs to be challenged.

The BBC are reporting that he used to go to the club get drunk and rowdy at times, so it does look like this individual had complex issues that might have triggered the massacre.

The BBC are reporting that he used to go to the club get drunk and rowdy at times, so it does look like this individual had complex issues that might have triggered the massacre.

More often than not, its a mad white guy that does all the shooting, different day, different colour.

I think that was his point, wasn't it? If terrorists among US muslims pose a threat why increase the risk by allowing more muslims into US?

It is a pretty unanswerable point.

For those who say this guy was born in the USA, Trump would just say, yeah, but his parents weren't. We let them in and look what happens.

I think the repressed gay angle is probably right.

Edited by Harrystottle
spelling

So Islam doesn't have exclusivity when it comes to religiously induce intolerance... so what? It has the biggest problem with it by far and that is why it get's singled out for the most criticism.

Is that right? The last few pages of this thread are about Omar Mateen. Mateen was a lone wolf just like many other plain good old boy American mass murderers. Why do I say that?

Well, since you have very little knowledge of the Islamic faith I expect you have near zero when it comes to Islamic extremism so I will explain. Mateen pledged allegiance (via a phone call during the attack) to Isil, the Al-Nusra Front and the Boston Bombers and has also expressed appreciation for Hezbollah and Al-Qaeda in the past. All well and good you might think, but any Islamic Fundamentalist worth his salt knows that those are entirely separate and AT WAR factions. It would be like an Irish bomber pledging allegiance to the IRA, Royalist Paramilitaries and Combat 18 all at the same time. It doesn't stack up as religious fundamentalism but instead points to a deeply troubled and bigoted individual.

The biggest problem faced in America today is not Islamic extremism, it is their own ridiculous gun laws which make such lone wolf attacks so easy.

I have to say I was shocked to the very core by this attack, those people in that club what must have gone through their minds. I now imagine a lot of the gay community world wide will be really shook up by all this, and think about places they go to.

The gay community still gets a rough ride and it is slowing breaking down barriers, but this guy had pure hatred in his body whether for gays or straight, I feel it was pure hatred and he was a bigot.

I am genuinely shocked and saddened by this outrage, and I hope it doesn't spoil people's lives too much, in regards to where they go, but whether straight or gay people should not have to live in this constant fear.

RIP to all that died

Pete xx

Is that right? The last few pages of this thread are about Omar Mateen. Mateen was a lone wolf just like many other plain good old boy American mass murderers. Why do I say that?

Well, since you have very little knowledge of the Islamic faith I expect you have near zero when it comes to Islamic extremism so I will explain. Mateen pledged allegiance (via a phone call during the attack) to Isil, the Al-Nusra Front and the Boston Bombers and has also expressed appreciation for Hezbollah and Al-Qaeda in the past. All well and good you might think, but any Islamic Fundamentalist worth his salt knows that those are entirely separate and AT WAR factions. It would be like an Irish bomber pledging allegiance to the IRA, Royalist Paramilitaries and Combat 18 all at the same time. It doesn't stack up as religious fundamentalism but instead points to a deeply troubled and bigoted individual.

The biggest problem faced in America today is not Islamic extremism, it is their own ridiculous gun laws which make such lone wolf attacks so easy.

I personally think that Omar's Mateen claims of "membership" to any of those organisation isn't that significant. The problem is their common ideology which they all (including Omar) share. And I have many reasons to believe that it was this ideology which finally has led him to the attack.