Sheffield, Yorkshire, Britain etc..Where are your loyalties?

Don't understand this pride thing. Being from somewhere is not an achievement it's an accident of birth, so why would anyone be proud of it?

Don't understand this pride thing. Being from somewhere is not an achievement it's an accident of birth, so why would anyone be proud of it?

I guess it has more to do with the idea of the attitude/ environment that has shaped you which are likely perhaps to be prevalent in a given area or across something as wide as an entire nation. You might be proud to be British because of what Britain and the attitude of its population has achieved.

You might be ashamed to be British because we were conquerors and subjugators.

Quite, could it be a need, a longing, fears, left out, lonely. Ironically most peoples pride in something derives from the achievements of others and as you say..accidents or coincidences.

"An Englishman discovered gravity, I'm also English so by definition I'm related to the discovery...I'm proud of that connection because it somehow tenuously ties me in as a discoverer". Not.

Where you are from is one of the biggest determiners of who you are and what you achieve in life. It's not an "accident of birth" at all. People have worked and fought for centuries to make this country a decent place to live.

Where you are from is one of the biggest determiners of who you are and what you achieve in life. It's not an "accident of birth" at all. People have worked and fought for centuries to make this country a decent place to live.

At what point in your pre birth state did you determine where you were going to be born..and to who?

I didn't. But the fact that I was born to my parents, in the UK, is a major determiner on me being who I am. So not "random" at all. It's perfectly natural to be proud of being from a great country, and this leads to wanting to continue making the country great so that our children and grandchildren live good lives in turn.

I assume it means you will not be able to receive any form of grant or loan from the UK government, as you have moved to another country I support that stance. What would happen if you were born in Australia and the circumstances reversed?

The difference between Australia and Britain is that they look after their own...here however, we look after anyone from the EU (or anywhere else), and not our own!

My friend couldn't get a grant to go to Uni as she was classed as a dependant, as she was under 25, although she had lived independent of her mother (father deceased) from 17 years old, she worked 3 jobs to live independently and that counted for nothing!

As soon as the word pride was mentioned it was guaranteed one of these posts would appear ..... do you feel the same about gay pride ( I assume that exists because it is celebrated), because being gay is an accident of birth is it not, so do you question it or do you understand it ?

People can be proud of what they want ..... pride is a personal thing surely !

For me my loyalty is

Family/friends/colleagues

Sheffield Wednesday

Sheffield

England

Yorkshire

with little bits in between :D

I'm a Frisian first and a European second. Followed by equal amounts of Britishness and Dutchness. Although I like living in Sheffield I have no loyalty to the place, the only loyalty I have to a geographical location is the North of Fryslan.

Working Class.

Doesn't matter behind which line someone else drew on a map to put a false claim to the land as "theirs" to rule

Im not proud of my west yorkshire accent wish it was either south or north anything but WEST!!!!

Born in Manchester, parents from Ireland, partner from Sheffield (which i must admit is a wonderful city)

Growing up in Manchester's Irish community during the seventies I felt loyal to my Irish roots, not at all English.

Going to Ireland (school) got teased for my English accent, and so the loyalty shifted.

Now I feel neither Irish nor English, but Irish/British, in equal ammounts, and Manchester like Sheffield is just a place where one happens to be; as the man said, an accident of birth.

My true loyalty nowadays is to those who struggle to make the world a better place, who work to feed their families and show decency to others. Places are nice, or not so nice!