What's the point of having a personalised number plate?

Why would a celebration cake have a name written on it?

Why would someone have cufflinks (remember them?) personalised with initials?

Why would a woman make a charm bracelet personal to her alone?

With cars it's sometimes to hide it's age, sometimes to add identity/ownership

to an object. It may be to show the world you can afford a plate that cost

a lot of money.

All in all harmless personal choice and good luck to them.

They are personal choices, but they're not the reason for making personal choices

I drive to and from work every day, and often see what are pretty obviously 'personalised' number plates, and I often think to myself, what's the point?

Most I see are pretty tentative anyway, and need a pretty large leap of imagination to see what it's supposed to be. A lot are pretty much unfathomable, from a strangers point of view.

Is it vanity? One upmanship? Superiority? I don't really 'get it'. But then again, there's a lot of things I don't 'get' ;)

What car do you drive pete?

An old one....:)

spit it out then

Then I'd pull up next to you with my regular number plates and a smug face.

i have a private plate and also a smug face, i paid just over£70 each for 3 plates back in the 90,s when dvla started releasing plates , all of them now are valued in excess of 20k, not a bad investment.:P

If Pete had bought some he might not have to drive an old car lol

I have a personalized number plate (G R 8 1. - means great one) it says I have a personalized number plate and you don't

So get stuffed

i have a private plate and also a smug face, i paid just over£70 each for 3 plates back in the 90,s when dvla started releasing plates , all of them now are valued in excess of 20k, not a bad investment.:P[/quote

Number plates,are a man made requirement to identify a particular vehicle and its registered keeper and should be kept that way.

Scarcity/Rarity commands a high price.

Personal plates are just a means of creating business for the entrepreneurial guru's (including governments), based on using people wanting Identity, and/ or to show status, using a man made product, but hey each to their own and depth of blatant vanity.

Gold for example, another status symbol and about as useful as a personal number plate, apart from investment purposes, but it commands high prices because it is one of the most scarce minerals on the planet and will always do so.

Can this number plate thing go on forever, before they run out of new (personalised) registration numbers, or change the format of plates so they are fit for the true purpose originally intended ?

Edited by slugger

I simply love my car and bought it a present

i have a private plate and also a smug face, i paid just over£70 each for 3 plates back in the 90,s when dvla started releasing plates , all of them now are valued in excess of 20k, not a bad investment.:P[/quote

Number plates,are a man made requirement to identify a particular vehicle and its registered keeper and should be kept that way.

Scarcity/Rarity commands a high price.

Personal plates are just a means of creating business for the entrepreneurial guru's (including governments), based on using people wanting Identity, and/ or to show status, using a man made product, but hey each to their own and depth of blatant vanity.

Gold for example, another status symbol and about as useful as a personal number plate, apart from investment purposes, but it commands high prices because it is one of the most scarce minerals on the planet and will always do so.

Can this number plate thing go on forever, before they run out of new (personalised) registration numbers, or change the format of plates so they are fit for the true purpose originally intended ?

yes its great isnt it:love:

yes its great isnt it:love:

What's great ? Please elaborate.

I drive to and from work every day, and often see what are pretty obviously 'personalised' number plates, and I often think to myself, what's the point?

Most I see are pretty tentative anyway, and need a pretty large leap of imagination to see what it's supposed to be. A lot are pretty much unfathomable, from a strangers point of view.

Is it vanity? One upmanship? Superiority? I don't really 'get it'. But then again, there's a lot of things I don't 'get' ;)

bit like being a moderator then:hihi::hihi: