I want to learn to speak Farsi

Hi, I'm an English person who would like to learn to speak Farsi. Any ideas how I can do this in Sheffield? It's difficult for me to make regular commitments so something informal would be ideal - if a Farsi speaker would like to improve their English I'd be happy to make it a two-way thing. Please let me know if you have any helpful ideas.

thanks

How about trying the Iranian/ Persian restaurants in Sheffield for starters - chatting to the staff and customers might point you in the right direction.

Or contact Hallam/ Sheffield University to put you in touch with Farsi speaking students.

Edited by Ms-Shapes
Additional information

If you look on youtube there are some clips on there that may help you .

Consider learning Arabic as far more useful and spoken by most Farsi speakers anyway. Free course on http://alison.com/learn/arabic

found this quote:

Like you, I have a great interest in Islam and the Middle East and made a decision about 8 years ago to learn them. I started with Arabic and then about 4 years ago took up Farsi. Arabic really is SO much more useful. Not only is it the most spoken language in the middle east, it is the language of the number 1 religion (in terms of population) Islam. Like you, I was also really interested in learning Farsi for Iran and Afghanistan; however, 90% of the people in these contries also speak Arabic. I listen to radio stations from Iran all the time and over half of them are spoken in Arabic.

It would depend on the reason for learning though, wouldn't it? The OP hasn't said why. Maybe he's fallen for a Farsi speaking girl or there's another reason we don't know about

Hi, thanks for the responses. The memrise thing looks interesting, I'll give that a go to start with.

Someone wondered why I want to do it - my work has meant that I've met a number of Iranian refugees in Sheffield. They have been very likeable, engaging, intelligent and usually very traumatised people who have had a terrible time of it at the hands of the regime in Iran. It just seems such a tragic situation, all these able and intelligent people forced to flee because they had the gall to think for themselves. I figure if I can speak a bit of Farsi I might be able to help them a bit better.

Hi, thanks for the responses. The memrise thing looks interesting, I'll give that a go to start with.

Someone wondered why I want to do it - my work has meant that I've met a number of Iranian refugees in Sheffield. They have been very likeable, engaging, intelligent and usually very traumatised people who have had a terrible time of it at the hands of the regime in Iran. It just seems such a tragic situation, all these able and intelligent people forced to flee because they had the gall to think for themselves. I figure if I can speak a bit of Farsi I might be able to help them a bit better.

I also have met Iranian refugees in the course of my work; and I would support everything you have said...some lovely people.

hi I also support what the OP has said as ive met and become friends with some Iranian people in the past who are very friendly and likeable and it would be great if we could find a community of them to get to know and they can learn English, farsi sounds like a difficult language aswell as Arabic but fair play to the OP who wants to learn the language. aswell as Iranian people I have found Kurdish people to be very friendly and have grown to love the Kurdish culture. good luck to the OP hope you find what your looking for

Hi, I'm Iranian and Farsi is my first language. I can speak English but there is always a lot to learn so I would love to teach you Farsi and improve my English at the same time!

Please message me if you are interested

Regards

Sahar

I seem to recall it's actually 'Persian' (in english anyway); 'Farsi' being the anglicised spelling of the persian word for the language.

In the same way we call the language "German" whereas the word for it in the german language is "Deutsch"

[/pedant]