Meter reading mystery

He can, but if he sends the reading in every quarter how does that stop them coming out each month to read it?

As long as the standing charge averages out at the same cost, I suppose you are no worse off. If you feel strongly enough about the situation, contact offgem-don`t let it drag on. Things don`t improve they get worse if left.

As others have said, legally they have to read the meter once per year min. With smart meters there sould be no need to read your meter in the same way.(Signal goes via air waves) Nothing to do with saving your energy consuption. More like saving on paying meter readers to come out. (They`ll save a small fortune not going round to Yorkshire spuds` gaff every month);)

Ah I wondered why they were so keen to install them. Thanks for the info. ☺️

You are very welcome Sir (or Madam).

Ah I wondered why they were so keen to install them. Thanks for the info. ☺️

And why else would they install them? they can read meters by just driving up the street, its not to save us money trust me ;) its to cut down on theft and keep the share holders happy ;)

Yes, you are right. I read the EON leaflet and was momentarily sucked into their propaganda and believed they were doing me a favour.

Not sure why I should think that as it was only a few weeks ago the wrote telling me that they'd mislead me into thinking they were the cheapest when I asked for a comparison. In fact they were the most expensive and wanted to reimburse me the difference. Wonder how many people they didn't tell?

And why else would they install them? they can read meters by just driving up the street, its not to save us money trust me ;) its to cut down on theft and keep the share holders happy ;)

To save the energy firms money is the idea. By the way, driving up the street will not stop theft.

My meters were supposed to be changed ages ago, guy took one look said he couldn't do it as the gas and electric are in the same cupboard.

My meters were supposed to be changed ages ago, guy took one look said he couldn't do it as the gas and electric are in the same cupboard.

I have smart meters and they are both in the same cupboard,they also come and read the meters once a year.

He can, but if he sends the reading in every quarter how does that stop them coming out each month to read it?

Well he can read them every month, no?

And you dont have to let everyone into your house who knocks on the door, you know.

Legally the energy companies have to read your meter once a year. It's good practice to read it yourself every month and submit it

It's every two years actually.

But, I've switched suppliers a couple of times in the last 3 years and haven't had a meter read for well over 2. I manage my account online and put in my own readings anyway so I'm not bothered if they come and read it or not.

the guy next door to me works for meterplus reading meters, he brings his van home every day and leaves for work between 8 and 8.30 every morning and is home between 1.30 and 2pm.how much extra on our bills are used to pay for the use of the van and for the few hours he works ?