Advice needed on leaving work to look after child

Hi everyone.

Not sure if I'm posting in the right place but was just looking for a bit of advice.

First of all I'm a male. Me and my partner have a gorgeous 10 month old boy. Both me and my partner work, me in full time and my partner works part time for the NHS. My job is extremely unstable. Some weeks I work 40 hours, some 30, some as low as 20 so as you can imagine, we never know where we stand from one week to the next.

My partner has just been offered a full time job with excellent career prospects but we are struggling with child care.

It would make sense to if I were to quit my job, or find a part time job and look after our child. but I'm not sure where we would stand with benefits etc.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Benefits will all depend on what your household income will be. In what ay are you struggling with childcare?

We have nobody to have our son if my partner went full time as there's only my partners parents and they both still work. We are OK for the odd day in the week as my partners parents work shifts leaving us unable to commit any set hours. Thanks for replying.

Speak to the DSS and ask them.

Start with childcare costs - what is available and then question what would happen if one of you had to quit work.

I've always found them direct in their responses,they won't tell you what to do or how to manipulate stuff but they will give you the facts.

Depending on what your wife's salary is, you will probably only receive child benefit.

I have three children, and I dont work, but husband does, and all we get is child benefit, and a little bit of child tax credits, which you may also get.