Norton aerodrome driving centre

Not many dog walkers on site when cars are driving around and when there are they put them on the lead

Not many dog walkers on site when cars are driving around and when there are they put them on the lead

Oi, Safety1st...

Good news, do you have any age restrictions?

...?

:smile:

not got age restrictions if person is tall enough to reach and operate controls under 17s courses available or practise in your own car on the area

my dad taught me there, I taught my brother and my g.friend (now wife) and would love to take my little lad there in a few years - it could be a amazing place if designed right!

think it would be a great idea to reopen this

it is open georgie

An off-road driving centre would be an extremely sensible thing. I've only lived in Sheffield for about 20 years, so don't have any experience of the Norton centre as it used to be.

But, I grew up in Lincolnshire, the home of many a disused airfield, with ample runways, and no traffic. As kids, we used to ride unlicensed motorbikes on there, and then progressed to scrap cars, which we did up, and used on the local airfield too. By the time we were 14 or so, we were competent riders and drivers. So that, when it came time to take my test at 17, all I had to do was get used to the traffic and the rules of the road - the control of the vehicle was automatic by then.

Similarly, my children were both used to driving on the airfield when they were 14 or so - and both passed their tests very rapidly when they got to a suitable age. Mind you, in rural Lincolnshire there was a very strong incentive to learn to drive. If you didn't, you couldn't work, and you often had zero social life.

It's always amazed me, living in Sheffield, how many young people never get round to learning to drive. It was my number one priority as a teenager, and it was for my children too. Apart from the fact of there being practically no public transport, it was a matter of personal pride, and one of the landmarks of growing up.

Being able to drive gave you immediate kudos with the girls, at the very least! I can remember one guy I met here in Sheffield, he was 29, a teacher, still lived at home - and couldn't drive. He was complaining that despite being on dating sites, girls only had a single date with him, and then ditched him. I had to tell him the sad truth that, as far as most girls are concerned, someone who takes the bus everywhere just isn't a real man. Might not be politically correct, might not be environmentally sound, but it's a real fact of life.

Edited by martyn1949

Still looking for a sports team to come along and adopt the disused football pitch .It needs some work on it and would be free to use . Alf 1956 I have tried to reply to your message and it doesn't show as sent if you are interested in the use of the pitch I will be on site Saturday from 9 am

Now that the airfield is open we are looking for fundraising ideas for any local good cause.If you have any ideas or plans to raise money for charity come along and let us help.

it's a great idea to have a proper driving area with a proper road lay out with round about & traffic lights with reversing and parking area also a man made incline so drivers can do standing starts.

with a waiting area café toilets.

I have watched this land standing idle for 50 yrs it's an eye sore the land could enhance the are and create a dozen jobs, if your coming into Sheffield from say chesterfield totley, bradway, and out side, then to be greeted with land that look like Beirut than an area that would look nice ad clean and looked after

Now that the airfield is open we are looking for fundraising ideas for any local good cause.If you have any ideas or plans to raise money for charity come along and let us help.

Have you made any plans to resurface all or part of the course?

Can you enter as a pedestrian? To have a look around etc,

The aerodrome has a lot of history to it