Norton aerodrome driving centre

Is there any age limit for the drivers...my daughter is 14 years old?

We used to see vipers and grass snakes up there in the late 70's!

You will need to check with your insurance as the differ in the age they insure for off road driving

Just a few points about advertising and your presence at the site. You need a BIG sign at the new gate on Norton Avenue. I can't tell if you can enter there or not or if you have to go to the roundabout and turn left to get in the 'old' way. Im aware you are there because of this forum not because of any particular other advertising I've seen. So a big sign that is easy to read, not the tiny one with weird effects on the lettering, I've tried MANY times to read the current sign as Ive drive past and still have no idea what it says. Also, Im aware you will be doing small bits at a time, not many people have the luxury of spending bajillions right away, but the two green cars just look like they've been stolen and dumped in the field. Which doesn't give people a good impression of you. Luckily your sign is so small they can't tell who you are anyway hehe.

So BIG sign needed. Most effective these days is a big 'www.whatever.com' (its easy to read and remember) then people can go to your website to find out more.

Small point about the 'stolen' cars. Green cars blend in with green grass. Use white or Yellow to catch peoples attention. Get some logos on them.

If the gate on Norton Avenue is the entrance. Make it look like one so people know.

I learnt to drive there as a 14 year old and it was a great way to learn so I hope you are a success.

:)

Edited by macboobs

Just a few points about advertising and your presence at the site. You need a BIG sign at the new gate on Norton Avenue. I can't tell if you can enter there or not or if you have to go to the roundabout and turn left to get in the 'old' way. Im aware you are there because of this forum not because of any particular other advertising I've seen. So a big sign that is easy to read, not the tiny one with weird effects on the lettering, I've tried MANY times to read the current sign as Ive drive past and still have no idea what it says. Also, Im aware you will be doing small bits at a time, not many people have the luxury of spending bajillions right away, but the two green cars just look like they've been stolen and dumped in the field. Which doesn't give people a good impression of you. Luckily your sign is so small they can't tell who you are anyway hehe.

So BIG sign needed. Most effective these days is a big 'www.whatever.com' (its easy to read and remember) then people can go to your website to find out more.

Small point about the 'stolen' cars. Green cars blend in with green grass. Use white or Yellow to catch peoples attention. Get some logos on them.

If the gate on Norton Avenue is the entrance. Make it look like one so people know.

I learnt to drive there as a 14 year old and it was a great way to learn so I hope you are a success.

:)

Dear Macboobs

Thank you for your constructive criticism the points you have mentioned are all in hand. Some of the points are out of our hands as were not allowed a large advertising sign and on our budget cost is everything so it has to be small bits at a time.

Thanks again Safety1st

Dear Macboobs

Thank you for your constructive criticism the points you have mentioned are all in hand. Some of the points are out of our hands as were not allowed a large advertising sign and on our budget cost is everything so it has to be small bits at a time.

Thanks again Safety1st

Its stupid how you can't have a sign by the road because it 'distracts' drivers (Im assuming thats the stupid reason they've given you?) yet the whole world uses road signs to navigate?! :loopy:

Anyhoo maybe get around it by creating a sign running along the fence made up of individual letters with enough space between each one so you can say that each one is simply a poster of a letter 'w' etc. Not actually advertising anything. As you drive past though you will obviously read it as the whole thing ;)

Hi all,

I'm sure Safety 1st will agree with me by saying a big thank you to all who have already visited and intend to visit us at Norton Aerodrome for your driver training, I would like to make a few points just to help a few concerns which have or may be risen.

1. I am an insured SIA registered security dog handler, I do visit the site during open and closed times, I have no issue with people coming onto site for a look around or a walk to reminisce old times, all I ask is if the site is open just for your safety be aware whilst the site is open please be aware that they are cars driving around the site with people who may have less experience to driving so please take care as you walk around.

2. If the site is open please feel free to pop in to the café to see the team inc Andy or Paul and they will be happy to give you any advice or information.

3. When the site is in closed periods (after dusk) please if you do still walk your dogs on site be aware of many hazards like potholes, kerbs, disused building structures. If you do see me on site with my dogs I am usually their training and I do tend to stay near the buildings and cabins on site. Don't be concerned my dog is fully under control at all times and I'm not like G4s :)

I won't kick you off site, however if you are doing something that puts yourself or your animal at harm I may have a chat with you, I am their for training and to help if you need me. I do have contact with the site owners if you need any further information.

Again Thank you for coming and please feel free to pass information on to your friends and family also look on Facebook for Safety1st.

You should have a website up for this space

Offering the space for events - Car shows etc

Maybe some photographs of the points of interest too

Advertise the cafe as somewhere you can come and practice driving and then have a bacon sarnie etc

Again Thank you for coming and please feel free to pass information on to your friends and family also look on Facebook for Safety1st.

That takes you to a baby goods company based in the USA.

It's Safety 1St Driving Academy you want people to search for.

And your Facebook page is pretty pants as well to be honest.

there's a lot of decent advertisment you can do for free/little money.

Get a good Facebook page, get a decent Google Plus page and Google Listing and knock together a good Website.

Great idea. I practiced driving there many years ago, was nowhere near as scary as practicing on public roads.

Hi Geared

Thanks for your comment as you can appreciate this is a large project taken on by a small group. we are trying our best to regenerate the area and bring together other community programs .Our Facebook and website will be sorted as soon as I get time, at the moment we have 2 Facebook pages Norton Lightwood under 17s driver training area and driving lessons Rotherham ,Sheffield. Our web site is also due some changes Safety1st driving academy .

Thanks again

Hi Geared,

Thanks for the ..... Critisism and duelly noted and my appologies to you anyone and most of all andy andy his team at Safety 1st Driving Academy!

Was there a arson attack there the other week? There was a burning car which you could see from the road around 6:45?

Yes Sheffield8, one car set alight which was parked alongside another which took hold.

Do you have any info?