Norton aerodrome driving centre

It would want resurfacing, I learnt to drive there years ago and the surface was pretty bad then. Given that everyone else on there was learning to drive you were probably less safe than on the road! It's got signs all over it saying theres the possibility of biochemical waste (or something to that effect) so I think you would have your work cut out trying to do anything with the buildings. But good luck to anyone who does something with it. When did it close down as a Driving training centre?

It should be opened up again and a bit of money spent on it, it looks a disgrace as it is. It would be a good use of the site if it was used for road safety for kids too.

What? No way, it would be a perfect place to practice driving in Sheffield with all the potholes.

This would be a fantastic project to see up and running. Educating youngsters is key in keeping them and other road users safe on our roads. Not only could this site be used for teaching youngsters to drive, it has so much other potential in the road education spetrum.

I think it would be suited to a traveller site. All the hard standings are there, electricity, water and I presume sewage. With careful planning it could be the biggest and most successful one in the UK?

I think it would be suited to a traveller site. All the hard standings are there, electricity, water and I presume sewage. With careful planning it could be the biggest and most successful one in the UK?

Not sure what that would add to the area? Woodseats already has one of the highest car crime rates in the country.

Safety1st Driving Academy are signing the lease this week and have been on the area cleaning up still more work to do but should be opening soon

asbestos i think

Given the age of the site, more than likely. For many years it was used by the RAF as a site for the repair of radios and flight instruments. I understand as a result the place is also contaminated by the remains of numerous scrapped luminous dials with low-level radioactive paint which would have to be removed.

Hi all i remember years ago this site was used as a driving practice area and was wondering how many people would like to see it opened up as a community road safety and driver educational area with classrooms youth facilities, cafe,play area and gardens all making the area look better and offering part time jobs to locals

not a bad idea that or making it a proper driving centre to learn how to drive properly with qualified instructed but for gods sake do something with it or it will end up another **** camp site. I don't think there's any need for a barrage balloon site anymore

Safety1st Driving Academy are pleased to let people know we are now the lease holders for norton airfield.if any 1 would like to visit the area I will be up there all day Saturday 19th July

Hi all i remember years ago this site was used as a driving practice area and was wondering how many people would like to see it opened up as a community road safety and driver educational area with classrooms youth facilities, cafe,play area and gardens all making the area look better and offering part time jobs to locals

hi I have 3 lads now men and I took all 3 up there cause it's only up the road from our house I used to take them on Saturdays to get them used to handling a car I then took them regularly was a guy there who would try to get you to pay I only paid once I just drive straight through I was never challenged the lads loved going there they weren't daft and did most things right and the best thing of all they all passed their tests first time

Safety1st Driving Academy are pleased to let people know we are now the lease holders for norton airfield.if any 1 would like to visit the area I will be up there all day Saturday 19th July

Hi...I would like to come over and take some photos and video footage via drone quadcopter but can't make it today.. When are you up next

I will be on the area all day Saturday 26 th but we have people calling in through the week if you call 07807813427 Paul will be able to arrange to open up for you