Grooming of UK jihadis, do violent computer games play a part?

'No' doesn't necessarily need evidence. If someone feels they need or want to come to a yes/no conclusion about a claim (rather than sit on the fence) then the formation of that conclusion would be based on evidence (or the lack of). In that case, an absence of evidence would lead to a 'No'

I think you're about to encounter literary gymnastics Roots.

Does God exist?

"Yes"

You may find this interesting (ala bob mode)

“I really want to come into the light because I know that is where the healing is and I’ve seen God do amazing things,” said Jones.

Can't get better DM evidence than that..huh?

Edited by ronthenekred

I think you're about to encounter literary gymnastics Roots.

No, I'm done entertaining.

As usual, Smiffy is playing his usual way: doesn't actually commit to a position, suggests a vague and ambiguous possibility and from then on courts it to give the impression that he has committed to a position.

No, I'm done entertaining.

As usual, Smiffy is playing his usual way: doesn't actually commit to a position, suggests a vague and ambiguous possibility and from then on courts it to give the impression that he has committed to a position.

You can lead an integrity whore to virtue, but you can't make it think.

Sorry to go back to the mail ( I also read the guardian, sun and mirror online, watch BBC, sky al jajeera and Rt) and look at Huffington, news now , breitbart,etc etc....

Article today about the stabbing of a market trader in London - the killer was a 15 year old said to have had an attention deficit disorder and the maturity of an 11 year old. He is said to have been obsessed with knives and computer games such as Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto .

Anecdotal and purely subjective, I admit , but realistically what money is to be made in research showing that video games are harmful? How much corporate money is avaiailable to fund research that such games are NOT harmful ? Who really critically analyses the research done?

No, I'm claiming you jumped on the DM piece as credible evidence with "yes"

The OP asked.

Has anyone mentioned that radicalisation or , to put it another way , de sensitisation to violence , might be due to violent computer games

The answer is yes, and I posted the evidence which proves that yes is the correct answer.

---------- Post added 17-09-2014 at 06:48 ----------

'No' doesn't necessarily need evidence. If someone feels they need or want to come to a yes/no conclusion about a claim (rather than sit on the fence) then the formation of that conclusion would be based on evidence (or the lack of). In that case, an absence of evidence would lead to a 'No'

Is there life on other planets, yes and no require evidence to support that claim, don't know requires no evidence. No is a statement of fact and means you must have enough knowledge on the subject to form that opinion.

---------- Post added 17-09-2014 at 06:53 ----------

Sorry to go back to the mail ( I also read the guardian, sun and mirror online, watch BBC, sky al jajeera and Rt) and look at Huffington, news now , breitbart,etc etc....

Article today about the stabbing of a market trader in London - the killer was a 15 year old said to have had an attention deficit disorder and the maturity of an 11 year old. He is said to have been obsessed with knives and computer games such as Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto .

Anecdotal and purely subjective, I admit , but realistically what money is to be made in research showing that video games are harmful? How much corporate money is avaiailable to fund research that such games are NOT harmful ? Who really critically analyses the research done?

I don't think any amount of money or research will be able to prove or disprove causation.

Too much of the research that is done into this issue is done by people with a vested interest on both sides.

Can Video Games Cause Violence? in Psycology Today and Is there any evidence of a link between violent video games and murder? in The Guardian both sum up the issues quite well.

One bit of research that takes a different slant, reported in Business Week, did find a link between video games and violence but it was the frustration caused by playing a game badly that caused the effect - not whether the game itself was violent (they used a tweaked super hard version of Tetris as part of the research). The other thing they noted was:

Przybylski emphasizes that his research, like much research on video games and aggression, measures only short-term effects. He compares it to commuting. The frustrations of traffic can make a person more aggressive while driving, and perhaps for a few minutes after he gets to work, but it’s a leap to assume that someone who commutes every day has become an inherently more hostile person.

No is a statement of fact and means you must have enough knowledge on the subject to form that opinion

'No' is a statement, but it can be one of conclusion, opinion, belief, fact, judgement,

amongst others. Trying to limit the word to just 'fact' does not make it so.

'No' is a statement, but it can be one of conclusion, opinion, belief, fact, judgement,

amongst others. Trying to limit the word to just 'fact' does not make it so.

Glad you cleared that up, so its just your (conclusion, opinion, belief, judgement) that the link doesn't exist and your (conclusion, opinion, belief, judgement) is no more valid than the opposing (conclusion, opinion, belief, judgement.) There is little point asking them for proof of their (conclusion, opinion, belief, judgement) if you won't post proof to support your (conclusion, opinion, belief, judgement).

Glad you cleared that up, so its just your (conclusion, opinion, belief, judgement) that the link doesn't exist and your (conclusion, opinion, belief, judgement) is no more valid than the opposing (conclusion, opinion, belief, judgement.) There is little point asking them for proof of their (conclusion, opinion, belief, judgement) if you won't post proof to support your (conclusion, opinion, belief, judgement).

It was 'cleared up' in post #120.

What makes you think my position is that a link doesn't exist?

Edited by RootsBooster

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi: Standing on a ball while juggling 8 skittles were you? Very impressed.

It was 'cleared up' in post #120.

What makes you think my position is that a link doesn't exist?

Its an assumption based on your posts, and your constant droning on about wanting evidence.

Its an assumption based on your posts, and your constant droning on about wanting evidence.

Really? Can you list the posts where I've requested evidence?