Driving Instructor Megathread - Part 3 - DO NOT ADVERTISE IN HERE

Does anyone know if Haydon Ellis still does driving.lessons and a contact.number please? Thanks.

Haven't seen Haydn around for a while (he'd say the same about me) but a Google search gives his phone number from a post on SF in 2006.

Anyone know any instructors who do intense courses over 2 or 3weeks?

Hi all,

I've got my license but I've not driven for a couple of years and have really lost my confidence so I'm looking to have some refresher lessons with an instructor to get back up to speed (forgive the pun!) with driving. I'm in S8, would ideally need evening lessons as I work in the day, and I think I'd like 2 hour lessons. If anyone could recommend a good instructor I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, Sam

Haven't seen Haydn around for a while (he'd say the same about me) but a Google search gives his phone number from a post on SF in 2006.

Saw him yesterday so I know he's around but I seem to remember him saying he's cutting right back with a view to retiring

Might be worth giving him a call though

difficult decision choosing a driving instructor eh? I've just been deliberating this for my son.

There are no shortage of friends and neighbours who will recommend the bloke (or woman) who taught their sons, daughters, nephews, nieces, grandchildren, friends, etc. to drive. They usually can refer to "passing 1st time" and how they were "really good" and how several more people they know had them.

Which is all very good - but - it doesn't really tell you much objectively does it?

I mean, I wouldn't consider sending my kids to a school because someone had told me they are "very good" - I'd want to see evidence of it.

So, is anyone aware of any "objective" data on which are the best driving schools around here?

difficult decision choosing a driving instructor eh? I've just been deliberating this for my son.

There are no shortage of friends and neighbours who will recommend the bloke (or woman) who taught their sons, daughters, nephews, nieces, grandchildren, friends, etc. to drive. They usually can refer to "passing 1st time" and how they were "really good" and how several more people they know had them.

Which is all very good - but - it doesn't really tell you much objectively does it?

I mean, I wouldn't consider sending my kids to a school because someone had told me they are "very good" - I'd want to see evidence of it.

So, is anyone aware of any "objective" data on which are the best driving schools around here?

Not easy to answer, for sure.

Don't expect the schools to have uniformly good instructors. Don't expect the biggies to have the best instructors.

Pass rate figures are notoriously fickle:

- can you believe the figures given by the ADI?

- can you believe the figures given by the DVSA on behalf of the ADI (if they ever get around to publishing them)

Can you believe/understand the DVSA'S grading (old and new) for ADI'S. This involved/ involves examiners sitting in a session and assessing Adi's ("check test" = old, "standards check" = new. The old system gave pass Grades 4, 5 and 6 - where 6 is the highest grade given only to the "top" 6%). The new system awards pass Grades B and A where A is the top grade. The old system worked on fault identification, analysis and remedy, the new system assesses Client Centred Learning, value for money, coaching and risk management ability.

You have to know a great deal more than your average parent to be able to decipher this and answer your question, I'd suggest.

For what it's worth, much easier than the above, I'd suggest:

- picking an ADi with proven track record of extra driving and instructional qualifications over and above the norm (IAM, RoSPA, ROSPA Diploma, Fleet, Safed, Energy Saving Trust, 4x4, minibus, van, truck, towing, involvement in NDIS/NDAC and other NDORS training) - I agree with the DVSA, ADI's should pursue professional self-development and not do nothing (as most do) after qualification as an ADI

- in any "beauty parade" ask the prospective ADI's to note at least 3 things that the ADI would teach the pupil that AREN'T required to know/to be able to do in order to pass the L-test.

- and then take word-of-mouth recommendation

- and only then worry/argue about the cost

Too much to expect?

Edited by DT Ralge

Hi im looking for a good driving instructer in sheffield if you know anyone with a good pass rate please pm me thankyou

I'm looking for a automatic driving instructor in s2 urgently. I've seriously been let down. My test is in 4 weeks. My driving instructor keeps cancelling on me. Please help

I'm looking for a automatic driving instructor in s2 urgently. I've seriously been let down. My test is in 4 weeks. My driving instructor keeps cancelling on me. Please help

I can understand your anger and frustration but could you postpone your test?

You only need to give the DVSA three working days' notice.

I wish to contact an automatic instructor who will do one hour lessons in Greenhill. No two hour lessons.

Thanks.