Turf Tavern, Handsworth

Driven past the Turf Tavern a few times over the past couple of weeks during the day / evenings and weekends and noticed that it appears to have closed down - anyone know why?.

Been up Handsworth for a few pints tonight and was shocked to see it shut myself. I've lived in the area for around 20 years and can't remember it ever being closed.

General opinion seems to be that like so many other pubs, it was only making money at the weekend so it closed due to lack of business.

Turf has been in trouble for a few years. Was very close to closing down about 8 months ago.

As a former publican I receive a circular quite often with the pubs that are up for offer or whether for sale or lease and I noticed the turf tavern being offered in that a few weeks ago and was shocked to see it myself. Being in touch with the local Sunday Football leagues as well I know that The Turf have always had a handy Sunday league team as well and having friends over that way I know it is a regular watering hole for Sheffield United's handsworth supporters as well. Overall the weekend trade must have been half decent.

After 10 years or so the last tenants have chose not to extend their lease, The Owners Punch Taverns will be looking to re-lease the pub but only after a complete refurbishment to the interior and exterior has been completed. they are also going to upgrade the catering kitchen with is already their to start selling Pub grub.

I would guess it will be shut for the upcoming months, and would expect the grand re-opening in December latest

I can remember a time in the late 80's and early 90's when it would have been packed on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights but certainly seemed to have gone significantly downhill over the past 5 years or so. Got to the point where, in my opinion, it wasn't a particularly nice place to go for a pint.

I can remember a time in the late 80's and early 90's when it would have been packed on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights but certainly seemed to have gone significantly downhill over the past 5 years or so. Got to the point where, in my opinion, it wasn't a particularly nice place to go for a pint.

yep used to drink in there then, never had a landlord as good since imho.

Not that I live in Sheffield anymore but hope it does reopen what with Norfolk gone far a few years.

If the brewing companies would simply reduce their prices for drink then they would not being closing down pubs at an alarming rate of 28 per week nationally.Supermarket chains have seen the gap selling cheap booze and exploited it pushing the poor pubs into oblivion and no doubt the trend will continue spiralling.

There's a lot to be said for the atmosphere and surroundings too - to be fair, the Turf wasn't pretty. Maybe if the whole thing had of come together, it'd still be trading now?. It seems that these days there's got to be a wider appeal.

Turf has been in trouble for a few years. Was very close to closing down about 8 months ago.

Also the Anglers on Richmond Park Road is for sale and word has it that if it hasn't been sold by December it will be boarded up. Does anybody know different.

Also the Anglers on Richmond Park Road is for sale and word has it that if it hasn't been sold by December it will be boarded up. Does anybody know different.

Within the last couple of weeks, Rightmove is showing it as no longer on the market, but not sold.

I always thought The Turf was one of the better pubs in Handsworth, surprised it's closed, but then I haven't been in a pub in half a dozen years so I'm obviously well out of touch!