Speed Camera speed limit change, Ecclesfield Road

No its still a 30 though most drivers only slow down for the yellow Gatso near Rutland Road

Crazy SCC eh:hihi: mind you, I remember that area as a single carriageway going past Presto tools. I suppose it's a legal thing as to why the road is still classified as a 30 zone. I do agree though, that people should be notified well in advance regarding a speed reduction area;):loopy:

---------- Post added 05-09-2014 at 22:20 ----------

I thought the last we heard about this was that there had been some petition organised to get the speed limit reduced to 30 past the school but it was turned down because there hadn't been enough accidents at the spot. It wouldn't surprise me to find that they'd done it anyway though, and it also wouldn't surprise me to find they'd done it without telling anybody. Do they not have to give advance legal notice of traffic changes in the local press and in the location though?

Totally agree.

Sly ,underhand tactics to snare unsuspecting drivers and raise revenue , thats all it is. These Gatso`s are there simply to fleece motorists.

Or a simple penalty for those motorists who drive down there regularly and don't bother paying attention to the signage (or anything else that's going on) because "it's always been that way". If a driver can't be trusted to know what the speed limit on a section of road is I wouldn't trust them to notice any more dangerous hazards on the road

As far as I am aware it was passed in parliament that should any councils wish to lower any speed limits they have to notify drivers in advance via notices on the road that they wish to change. As far as I am aware there are no laws as to how big the notice has to be therefore it may well have been in small print on A4 paper wrapped to a lamp post for all I know. In addition to this the council have to notify people by means of an advertisement in a locally circulated newspaper therefore they must have done this as well, again this doesn't necessarily help anyone who doesn't purchase The Star.

As far as the speed reduction stands it seems pretty standard these days and in all fairness if it is by a school then I am all for it personally, after all what are a few minutes saved on a journey? If it helps keep kids and everyone safe then it's worth it.

So where does it start being 30 now? Or is it 30 all the way from the bottom of the hill at Ecclesfield?

---------- Post added 06-09-2014 at 08:47 ----------

As far as the speed reduction stands it seems pretty standard these days and in all fairness if it is by a school then I am all for it personally, after all what are a few minutes saved on a journey? If it helps keep kids and everyone safe then it's worth it.

Ah, the usual 'what's a few minutes extra' argument trotted out again. A few minutes here, a few minutes there, a few minutes somewhere else and oh, look, it's taken us all day to get about 2 miles.

So where does it start being 30 now? Or is it 30 all the way from the bottom of the hill at Ecclesfield?

---------- Post added 06-09-2014 at 08:47 ----------

Ah, the usual 'what's a few minutes extra' argument trotted out again. A few minutes here, a few minutes there, a few minutes somewhere else and oh, look, it's taken us all day to get about 2 miles.

Speed limits exist for a reason! If people set off in good time to allow for the journey then it isn't an issue is it? I will say it again, a couple of extra minutes on a commute to potentially reduce risk and save lives. No brainer if you ask me! If you think any different then that is your problem but I bet your opinion would change if it was you or any of yours who got hit by a car!

Speed limits exist for a reason! If people set off in good time to allow for the journey then it isn't an issue is it? I will say it again, a couple of extra minutes on a commute to potentially reduce risk and save lives. No brainer if you ask me! If you think any different then that is your problem but I bet your opinion would change if it was you or any of yours who got hit by a car![/quote
Edited by terri37
Agree ��

Saw it's 40 in the morning then 30 in afternoon!!!! Hang on a minute that's not right or fair...

What are they required to do before they change the speed limit on a section of road?

Have they done it?

Just come through it now and it is still 40 from Ecclesfield up to top of hill then 30, no extra signs or anything to warn you that the speed limit has changed.

From Ecclesfield it's 30mph until you get to the cattery and the 40mph to the top of the hill where it becomes 30mph again through the speed camera and into Chapeltown. Perhaps it would have been better to make the whole stretch 30 and publicise it better.

I've no problems with a reduced speed limit near a school or built up area but the way they've gone about this seems a little unfair. I personally don't get over 30mph anyway on chap hill as my car struggles.

Apparently the new 30 signs were put up sometime Friday pm, and the old 40 signs removed from the bottom of Cowley View Road at the same time. New 40 signs have also been erected just past the school as you go over the brow of the hill towards Ecclesfield, and 30 the over way.

I came up Chapeltown Road to Chap Friday afternoon and do not recall any signs being up at 2pm, and I'm a reasonably careful driver, so if they were there then the cameras got me. Strangely enough the wife and I walked down to Ecclesfield last weekend and we only commented then that the speed limit changes had not been made, and then, hey presto here they are (they were planned as part of the road renewal) !!

I also play football at the school on Fridays and had been told by a mate at around 5pm Friday that the speed limit had changed. I came out of Park View Road on to Ecco Road which has always been a 30 zone, and then noticed the 40 signs at CV Road had been removed. The first notice you get that it is now 30 is 10 yards before the cameras when a small 30 sign has appeared below the camera sign.

Dont get me wrong - I agree it should be 30 past a school, BUT, surely some temp signs should have been put up to tell/warn drivers of the change - maybe that happens this week coming!!

Finally my lad says he's seen it on the council website that the cameras will not be changed to 30 until Friday 12/9 - I cant find this, so not sure if its true or not, but that may help some.

Hope this helps, but slow down is the underlying message on that road.

Speed limits exist for a reason! If people set off in good time to allow for the journey then it isn't an issue is it? I will say it again, a couple of extra minutes on a commute to potentially reduce risk and save lives. No brainer if you ask me! If you think any different then that is your problem but I bet your opinion would change if it was you or any of yours who got hit by a car!

Yes , to allow the use of Gatso SCAMeras to fleece motorists. We currently have an obsession with trying to slow vehicles to a crawl . Its pathetic. The road in question is a perfectly safe road and there is no need what so ever to change that to 30mph, other than to hopefully catch out unsuspecting motorists and fill the piggy banks courtesy of our wallets. Speed Scameras are a blight on society and are purely a revenue raising , legal scam.

I agree speed limits exist for a reason and we should all adhere to them especially around Schools etc but we should all be notified well in advance of change for safety reasons I might add.....but where do you draw the line as 20 in SOME places are totally silly as they have speed humps in place and to hear the old phrase you should set off earlier really grates with me because it won't be long before we're going along at snails pace then people will moan about all the fumes from vehicles crawling along....... Also what's happened to teaching children how to cross our roads properly and safely like we used to?????