Biker death - hard hitting story and video

I had 40 accident free years as a biker.

Best advice I ever had and the one I always took notice of was:

"Always assume that they are all out to kill you."

Defensive riding will always work.

Not true. Accidents like this happen all the time at the legal speed limit.

The point of the video message is simple. People should look out for bikers, bikers should watch their speed.

Who said they don't?:suspect:

In this instance,he would have been nowhere near the car.

Bottom line is...

The car driver obviously didn't see the bike doing nearly a ton,sun in his eyes?not paying attention? who knows?we don't,since we only have one angle/perspective on this story.

Did the driver mean to not see the biker?

No.

The biker was driving like an idiot,putting himself and others in danger on purpose.

Its not uncommon to read about similar stories of pillocks using the road as a race track,and the families that get wrecked by their actions,are too often totally innocent drivers.

100 mph at a junction?

Pfttttt.:loopy:

---------- Post added 05-09-2014 at 12:33 ----------

Well said:thumbsup:

I have the same attitude,and I'm a car driver lol.

The roads are full of idiots,not always speeding either,take a look at any local supermarket car park,and just watch how many people you see struggling with the car at 5mph:hihi:.

Exactly, defensive driving is what it's all about and there's no way that the biker's driving could be called in any way defensive. Always assume all other drivers are unpredictable.

I'm not a biker, but as a car driver I was taught to put the car in third gear and hover your foot over the brake when approaching a junction. Third gear in order to be at a sensible speed.

I don't know if they still teach that or whether the equivalent is taught for bikers.

I find it amazing that people even want to debate the facts after watching the video. Both parties made mistakes, we all make mistakes every day. You have to try to limit the mistakes you make, especially when in control of a vehicle that can so easily kill, as we have just seen.

It should be a message to ALL drives to be focused and careful at all times. Drivers should be extremely careful when turning across fast moving traffic like that and someone on something so delicate as a motorbike should stay at a safe speed. Having said that, we've all made mistakes in cars and on bikes and this is what happens when mistakes coincide with each other in what is known as 'bad timing'. Lets just all be more careful and avoid blame.

The car driver is at fault 100% he pulled across a moving vehicle, does not matter how fast the biker was going the car driver should have seen him and waited. You just do not pull across a road like that without looking properly. Unfortunately it is a mistake he/she will now have to live with for the rest of their lives.

I will add though that anyone travelling at those speeds on roads with junctions like that are asking for trouble. People make potentially lethal mistakes whilst driving everyday but 99% of the time they get away with it.

:hihi: I like someone with a sense of humour

With emotive things like this everyone will have differing opinions and I respect that yours is obviously different to mine. It's easy to blame the speeding biker but by the sounds of the report if the biker was not there the car would have been pulling out on another car they had not seen. Awareness is so important when driving and as someone who does a lot of miles I think some drivers drive with their eyes closed or just hope for the best.

But he wouldn't have even met this car,had he been doing 60,their paths would never had met.

By rights,this biker should have been miles away from this car,had he not decided he was going to fly past everyone at silly speeds.

Im not arguing braking distances,this guy should have never even been there at that moment of time.

That's a 'what if' argument though.

If the biker HAD been there, but had been doing 60 mph, the accident would still have occurred, but the outcome might have been different.

If the biker HAD been there, but had been doing 60 mph, the accident would still have occurred, but the outcome might have been different.

He would probably have been splattered all over the back of the car instead of hitting the front and flying over it.

Probably still dead I'd imagine.

He would probably have been splattered all over the back of the car instead of hitting the front and flying over it.

Probably still dead I'd imagine.

No he would have been alive and well as he wouldnt have even seen the car never mind hit it.He would have been somewhere else.

I think that's excellent advice.

You never know what kind of mental or emotional state another road user (behind the wheel) is in. Assuming that everyone is wide awake, paying attention and mindful of you; is a dangerous assumption to make.

Also, if someone else does make a mistake, and you suffer the consequences; it's not going to help you by then playing the blame game. What does it matter who is to blame, when you're dead? Better as you say; assume anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, and drive defensively - for your own and everyone else's safety.

No he would have been alive and well as he wouldnt have even seen the car never mind hit it.He would have been somewhere else.

You completely missed the point Cyclone tried to make didn't you??

IF the biker had been doing 60 at that same spot when the car pulled out then things might have been different.

because the car driver was not actually looking in the direction of the traffic he was crossing - he would have hit anything.

The car driver is negligent because they crossed a busy A-road without even bothering to look at oncoming traffic.

If the biker wasn't there they still would have probably hit someone/something driving like that.

look at the video and you'll see the car starts to turn less than a second before impact, that is a matter of meters between the two vehicles.

If they would have bothered to look they would have very clearly seen oncoming traffic. Leaving a few meters between you and an oncoming car as you cross their path is very risky.

Looks more like 3 / 4 seconds to me, and at 97mph that is some distance away.