Should people be paid to cycle to work?

You can always depend on penistone999 to start talking about lycra :suspect:

You should try it one day (the cycling, not the Lycra that is), you might enjoy it :)

Id sooner use public transport with the poor people , and thats never going to happen either.

Id sooner use public transport with the poor people , and thats never going to happen either.

I bet there's more chance of seeing you on public transport than you owning a Range Rover.

---------- Post added 10-09-2014 at 21:55 ----------

I occasionally cycle to work and would welcome a tax incentive or payment.

I know the London Wildlife Trusts and now some other organisations pay people 50p-80p per mile if you cycle to work.

London though has much better cycling infrastructure. And Sheffield has the worst cycling infrastructure in the whole of the country.

http://roadcyclinguk.com/riding/englands-most-cycle-friendly-city-named.html

What about those who walk to work, should they also be paid?

What about walking kids to school, rather than driving them....should there be some incentive for that?

I think it's a bad idea. If money is going to be thrown at encouraging people to cycle, I'd much prefer to see it spent on better cycling facilities (dedicated cycle lanes and paths) that keep bikes away from motor vehicles, because I don't believe the two mix particularly well.

Regards

Doom

I know the London Wildlife Trusts and now some other organisations pay people 50p-80p per mile if you cycle to work.

London though has much better cycling infrastructure. And Sheffield has the worst cycling infrastructure in the whole of the country.

http://roadcyclinguk.com/riding/englands-most-cycle-friendly-city-named.html

The hills in Sheffield put most people off cycling,hence the poor infrastructure for a minority of the population who cycle.