Should people be paid to cycle to work?

Cycle to work schemes require everyone to be involved, just like staff car parks, facilities need to be built which costs and requires funding from somewhere. Secure indoor cycle parking, showers , changing rooms and personal lockers don't come cheap.

You could combine company transport costs over 3 or 5 years and what employees are paying personally to see if they are comparable to the new facility costs.

Can you please link us to a video of you doing 30mph it would really make my day :)

Cyclone the Supercyclist :)

Ha ha ..............

Its not that hard. Ive done 35mph down a hill before, and can manage 20mph+ on the flat, at a push, but that's on a mountain bike, no doubt a road bike could go a lot faster, especially if it wasn't me riding! :hihi:

Same here. Now I've got a new road bike my average is 20-25 on the flat and well in excess of 30-40 down hills. Going up hill I do about 10-12, so not much worse than a little 50cc scooter.

Okay, I'll do it for £400 a month! but not a penny less.

Can you please link us to a video of you doing 30mph it would really make my day :)

Cyclone the Supercyclist :)

Ha ha ..............

30 mph is entirely achievable on a bike on the flat for a reasonably fit cyclist, particularly when riding in the flow of cars going a similar speed.

What the last page of comments do make clear, is that non cyclists like Xt500 have no idea about cycling.

The idea that 30 mph would make me some sort of super-cyclist (his way of saying he didn't think a cyclist could do 30 mph) is laughable. And he's supposed to be a professional driver.

What the last page of comments do make clear, is that non cyclists like Xt500 have no idea about cycling.

The idea that 30 mph would make me some sort of super-cyclist (his way of saying he didn't think a cyclist could do 30 mph) is laughable. And he's supposed to be a professional driver.

Similarly, I think a lot of drivers find it hard to judge a cyclist's speed on the road.

I try and let cars out of side junctions if they are hesitating and they will have time to pull out before I am going to reach them. I like to think karma works both ways, although that's probably naive :)

It is national Cycle to Work day today and a report on the BBC news looked at the reasons why people do and don't cycle to work and how more people could be encouraged to do so.

In France there is a scheme that pays people to cycle to work.

What a great idea.

What would get you to leave the car at home and get on your bike?

Nothing, never , hell will freeze over before i ever considered leaving the Range Rover at home and becoming a two wheeled, lycra clad lunatic.

Nothing, never , hell will freeze over before i ever considered leaving the Range Rover at home and becoming a two wheeled, lycra clad lunatic.

You can always depend on penistone999 to start talking about lycra :suspect:

You should try it one day (the cycling, not the Lycra that is), you might enjoy it :)

The company I worked for paid you £1 a day for not using the car park.

Problem was cheats would drive to within half a mile,park in the local town and walk in. The locals were not happy big time?

Shouldn't be paid for it, no

Why do you think they shouldn't?