Good news for the city - 300 jobs

I have worked in a call centre for over 9 years and there is no way that it would lead to diabetes which is generally a hereditary condition and all jobs are real as people need services such as phones, internet in this modern world. The new call centre is providing these and utility services to small businesses. This poster needs to live in the real world and diabetes is not life threatening if you control it correctly. I have friends who are diabetics who manage quite well, my grandmother was also diabetic. The link won't be proved so you can forget compensation for a condition which cannot be linked to working conditions, it's laughable

Generally related to eating sugar and being obese...

I had to laugh when the contributor inferred the health giving benefits of working in the manufacturing sector.

I take it he never went down a pit or worked in a steelworks?

Compare your diabetes to Emphysema, or VWF or the myriad bronchial and cardiac illnesses brought on by working in such environments. You may also want to consider the broken limbs and backs. The dangers of roof collapses or white hot metal springing out at you at 100 miles an hour.

When you have considered this come back and apologize.

For your utterances are foolish.

i have worked in the coal industry, steel industry, power industry, construction industry and entertainment industries.

no apology needed.

Great another £7 an hour telesales company. wonderful just what the city needs

they are not real jobs in the sense that they produce nothing except perhaps bills for invisible services. bankers produced nothing but bills and eventually led to the economic collapse just as surely as every single pyramid selling scheme has done.

i am aware that manufacturing is a small affair in the UK which is why we are still in a recession. manufacturing is booming in china and so is their economy. GOT THE CONNECTION YET?? the UK is producing almost nothing and will not properly climb out of recession until it does. luckily, i am told that manufacturing is on the up, so, someone has some sense. long may it continue.

call centres and diabetes. whilst the gags are on the whistleblowers and there are vested interests at work, it will always be thought that only people who smoke die of lung cancer. just as only people who get diabetes are obese, have a 17" neck, parents had it etc., not true. we all know someone who has this that and the other and is managing ok.

a trip to see limbless people with diabetes taught me that you cannot believe everthing the doctors tell you about diabetes.

hopefully, the people who have taken their child out of hospital are now on the right path.

What do you manufacture?

i have worked in the.....entertainment industries.

You still are with that joke about working in an office causing diabetes. What next? Teaching causes Aspergers?

The British Empire and the Renaissance wouldn't have been possible without banking to give but two examples. In fact all of western society probably would't be what it is without the banks, so lets not pretend that they do not perform a useful, although at times reckless, roll in our society.

i am aware that manufacturing is a small affair in the UK which is why we are still in a recession. manufacturing is booming in china and so is their economy. GOT THE CONNECTION YET?? .

What's the pay like in manufacturing in China?

i am aware that manufacturing is a small affair in the UK which is why we are still in a recession. manufacturing is booming in china and so is their economy. GOT THE CONNECTION YET?? the UK is producing almost nothing and will not properly climb out of recession until it does. luckily, i am told that manufacturing is on the up, so, someone has some sense. long may it continue.

You are fundamentally mistaken.

http://www.themanufacturer.com/uk-manufacturing-statistics/

Contrary to common belief, UK manufacturing is strong with the UK currently the 11th largest manufacturing nation in the world. Manufacturing makes up 11% of UK GVA and 54% of UK exports and directly employs 2.6 million people.

Numbers employed are a lot lower than historically, but the sector is still huge, because fewer people can now produce much more, and what we produce has changed from high volume, low value, low margin, items to low volume, high margin items.

Generally related to eating sugar and being obese...

True in a lot of cases for type 2. Type 1 sometimes is hereditary, is down to a non functioning pancreas that can't produce insulin for whatever reason - usually nothing to do with eating sugar or being obese if type 1.

(andyofborg) IT is normally considered to be a service sector occupation, and if it wasn't for highly skilled IT people you wouldn't be able to idle your way through the working day posting on here!

I would just like to say that I did not say IT workers were unskilled or low paid. The bulk of those jobs will be call centre roles as the company is call centre...... these are generally low paying but everyone has to start some where and this is good news for Sheffield and the people who get the jobs :)

Also managing our social media outlets is part of my role so I am far from Idle.....

What's the pay like in manufacturing in China?

am reliably informed around 36p per hour to produce london 2012 olympic souvenirs that sell for £20. it's our fault for buying this and other crap instead of reducing welfare benefits and producing it ourselves.

---------- Post added 09-09-2014 at 13:34 ----------

You still are with that joke about working in an office causing diabetes. What next? Teaching causes Aspergers?

hmm... you may be onto something there!

am reliably informed around 36p per hour to produce london 2012 olympic souvenirs that sell for £20. it's our fault for buying this and other crap instead of reducing welfare benefits and producing it ourselves.!

For 36p per hour?