Wild Camping - Any suggestions?

I'm looking for a site near Sheffield to Wild Camp - I've asked around in North Yorkshire and basically its a no no there!

We did this in Ireland and as long as you leave no trace, which we are very careful to do, it isn’t a problem.

Does anyone know of anywhere around Sheffield where we could do this? That would allow fires and ideally with car access?

Thanks

You'll need landowners permission to do it, I doubt you'll get that from the national parks so you could try ring up some local farmers??

I understand its not technically legal however rules of common sense state it is impractical to get permission. As long as you leave no trace it wont be a problem.

The car access is due to a disabled member of the group. Not ideal but very keen to take them.

Thanks for your replies.

Isn't it more sensible to go to a normal camp site if you have special requirements??

Hardly special requirements. And the whole point of the trip is to avoid campsites - admittedly maybe a bit more work than just rocking up to a campsite but as have done before is much preferable to a campsite.

Thanks

Wild camping tends to preclude disabled access usually as by nature you're off the beaten track. If I were you I'd pick an area on Google Maps, look for a track that you can get a car up then nip over a wall somewhere and set up camp

Thanks Antone - I know its far from ideal but we're a tough group sure we can overcome just wandering if anyone knew any specific sites.

Cheers

As a youth we spent many nights out up the top end of Rivelin Valley, on the same side as Hallamshire Golf Club. From the Bell Hagg Crags all the way up Wyming Brook and beyond. Some places were more suited to having a fire than others, just use common sense.

As they say 'Leave only footprints' and no one should have any gripes.

Cheers Corky sounds a good spot will look into it - dont worry we're very careful to leave no trace and only fires where it would be sensible.

Thanks for your reply.

Try cotton star camping. It's in Bradfield and as close to wild camping as you can get on a campsite. Beautiful views and basic site and cheap.

Fires are an absolute no no as most of the local ground is peat. And why the need for a fire anyway ? I've wild camped extensively and not only in this area, but never feel the need to light a fire.