Can anyone help me please

The first four months of a puppy's life are said to be crucial in it's subsequent development and behaviour. Without knowing the full facts, I would hazard a guess that this puppy may have missed some of these experiences and training, in particular bite inhibition which, by now should be established. Couple this with having a busy, possibly stressed mum and four children around and it is hardly surprising that the needs of the pup come further down the list of priorities.

The pup sounds very worried and confused and that is why he is probably exhibiting these unwanted behaviours. Remember too that he has only just changed his teeth and might have some residual soreness in the mouth that might increase the desire to bite. I've always given my pups sturdy things to chew on such as Nylabone. I have no experience whatsoever of bull breeds but it sounds as if a knowledgeable home is vital for him if he is to be helped. Sadly, they are too few and far between.

Having said all this, the OP's existing children and the unborn one must come first and if there is any risk to them then she must be prepared to rehome ethically or have the pup euthanased. I cannot emphasise strongly enough that growling is a warning and should be taken seriously. The OP should keep the children away from the dog - he is obviously very uncomfortable with them around.

On the subject of neutering, there is some controversy - some find that their dog's behaviour improves, some find no difference, and for an unfortunate few it can make behaviour problems worse. That is why I advised to speak to the vet. It shouldn't be viewed as a panacea for all ills. This dog needs consistent, firm but kind training as well as an understanding home with owners who can give him time and space, rather than neutering, although I do think that it is advisable to have this done asap, before humping behaviour begins.

As well as feeling sorry for the dog, I do have sympathy for you, Claire - it is a sad situation. Is it not possible to get your partner and/or family to help out with this problem? Try not to think of the dog as your baby - it is not useful and will help you in your decision making as it takes the emotion out of it. As others have said, a breed specific rescue may be the best port of call, especially as the pup is so young. It sounds as if you have a lot on your plate right now and I do hope that you manage to find a suitable place for him to go.

Edited by ccit

If you think/treat your dog like a baby it's a pretty clear sign you are mothering it, which is the wrong way to go about it.

The dog is probably growling at the kids as it see's it'self as on-par with them, and is trying to gain dominance among them.

You the owner are responsible for this, it's poor training.

You should have put the dog in it's place, established clear boundaries as to what is and what is not acceptable and made it perfectly clear it is not to attempt any dominance behaviour around the kids.

This OP when originally advertising this dog said it was due to marriage split and work commitments and the dog was fine with people, clearly from the post on here somebody is telling porkies.

---------- Post added 04-09-2014 at 11:51 ----------

original ad

Reason for Rehome / Sale- Recently split up with my husband, and due to being pregnant and single mom to 4 children and working full time i just do not have the time he needs and deserves.

Time Scale – How Urgent? A.S.A.P

Sale Amount- £50 (not alot i know, but you dont make money on the people you love the most)

Has the Dog been in Rescue-No

Location- Parson Cross, s5

Age & Sex- 6 month (D.o.d 22.2.14) Male

Breed/ Mix- Full American Bulldog

KC Registered- No

Approximate size- will be a large dog when fully grown

Exercise Needed- Yes

Neutered & Micro chipped- No

Vaccinated & Wormed- Yes full up to date

Live in / out- in

Ever lived with other cats/dogs/other animals- No but he is fine with other animals

Any Current or Historical Health or Psychological Issues- Non

Temperament- Very friendly, loves to play and loves his snuggles

Good or Bad with Children- Excellent, he currently lives with my 13, 6, 4 and 1 year old

Dislike of Men or Women- Loves everyone

OK with Dogs / Cats/other Animals- Yes

Travel OK in Car- Yes

Left happily alone in the House for How Long at a time- Yes

Destructive Behaviour- Non

Barks- when someone comes to the house

Pull on the lead- Sometimes

Crate trained- yes

Housetrained- yes

Also the OP said in the rehoming post:

Good or Bad with Children- Excellent, he currently lives with my 13, 6, 4 and 1 year old

This OP when originally advertising this dog said it was due to marriage split and work commitments and the dog was fine with people, clearly from the post on here somebody is telling porkies.

---------- Post added 04-09-2014 at 11:51 ----------

original ad

Reason for Rehome / Sale- Recently split up with my husband, and due to being pregnant and single mom to 4 children and working full time i just do not have the time he needs and deserves.

Time Scale – How Urgent? A.S.A.P

Sale Amount- £50 (not alot i know, but you dont make money on the people you love the most)

Has the Dog been in Rescue-No

Location- Parson Cross, s5

Age & Sex- 6 month (D.o.d 22.2.14) Male

Breed/ Mix- Full American Bulldog

KC Registered- No

Approximate size- will be a large dog when fully grown

Exercise Needed- Yes

Neutered & Micro chipped- No

Vaccinated & Wormed- Yes full up to date

Live in / out- in

Ever lived with other cats/dogs/other animals- No but he is fine with other animals

Any Current or Historical Health or Psychological Issues- Non

Temperament- Very friendly, loves to play and loves his snuggles

Dislike of Men or Women- Loves everyone

OK with Dogs / Cats/other Animals- Yes

Travel OK in Car- Yes

Left happily alone in the House for How Long at a time- Yes

Destructive Behaviour- Non

Barks- when someone comes to the house

Pull on the lead- Sometimes

Crate trained- yes

Housetrained- yes

I have deleted the quoted thread as it clearly is not what it seems and its not fair on other people not to have the full picture.

To the OP I'm afraid that I agree with others that you cannot re home the dog as he is, he needs help from a behaviorist and some working on, or PTS as you cannot risk him hurting someone else especially a Child :(

I do feel for you and it is awful to think like this but you really must or you may have to live with something very bad on your conscience :(

He's only 6 months still a baby and testing how far he can get with you, get him to as many training classes as you can and speak with a behaviourist also the vets to check all health options.

Wow. Looking at other posts started this person has had so many animals for sale.

The OP mentioned something about hand rearing the pup (or something similar) and this may be why. Presumably this dog is one from that large litter?

That's 4 dogs in 3 years this op has rehomed. Is no comment a comment!!

Clare, I don't mean to be rude but you do seem to have had an awful lot of animals for rehome and the most common reason seems to be 'don't have the time for him/her'. If you didnt have time for all your previous animals, you're unlikely to have time for any in the near future. Especially with another baby on the way.

Please stop getting animals, you're doing them no favours passing them from pillar to post. Can't be easy for your kids either, getting attached to a new pet only for you to rehome it.

Gone quiet hasn't she? Irresponsible dog owners make me so mad, I had my dog 16 years and four years since I lost the little darling I still can't face having another dog, the pain of loss was horrendous

Edited by denlin

There is no mention of the pup's mother and I can only hope that she has been speyed and livng somewhere in a good home. I hope that she is still alive and hasn't been passed on as a breeding bitch.

Claire - please take heed of Angel's excellent advice. In your puppy advertisement you said that you wanted them to go to homes with children. There is a good reason why rescue organisations often do not allow this, especially with large, powerful breeds such as yours. It's strange that you should see this as desirable when it is anything but. Concentrate on your children and forget the animals for now. Remember that you are setting a bad example to your children about the duty of care to all creatures. Also, please do not advertise your dog pup as free to good home as he could end up having a life of misery.

Edited by ccit