David Crompton should resign

Like in most other jobs a police officer can change jobs and I presume transfer pension contributions.

A one legged asthmatic could get through the fitness test.

Sparkasaurus - spot on

I remember some TV program showing the fitness test they have to take, and it was hardly taxing. It was walking, running to the beep, and nothing like the BFT soldiers have to take to prove operational fitness. I would like to see the police be expected to be at a similar fitness level to soldiers, I think there would be a lot more successful foot chases :)

Having said that though, I honestly can't remember when I last saw a fat police officer. I'm sure there are some, I just haven't seen any.

I remember some TV program showing the fitness test they have to take, and it was hardly taxing. It was walking, running to the beep, and nothing like the BFT soldiers have to take to prove operational fitness. I would like to see the police be expected to be at a similar fitness level to soldiers, I think there would be a lot more successful foot chases :)

Having said that though, I honestly can't remember when I last saw a fat police officer. I'm sure there are some, I just haven't seen any.

Video here of the fitness test

http://Http://www.gmp.police.uk/content/section.html?readform&s=03D5BAC56B29F1F4802579FE0046E5F5

That should be a doddle for anyone who has a physical job and takes it seriously. I don't know what it is now, but for the army selection test we had to do a 1.5m run in under 10m 30s, sit ups to the beep and chin ups on best effort. It's even harder nowadays I believe. For front line officers, they should be very physically fit I think. More than what that test sets the bar at anyway.