Trams stopping at the Station- Sat/Sun 30/31 Aug

Just thought that anybody who needs to be out and about on a tram tomorrow needs to be aware that all trams from Herdings and Halfway have only been going as far as the station this evening due to a hole that has opened up adjacent to the track just after the station, so it's likely that this is going to affect the Meadowhall trams too.

My OH's journey home from work has just been interrupted by this, so please make plans which take this into account until the engineers have worked out what to do about the hole.

Just thought that anybody who needs to be out and about on a tram tomorrow needs to be aware that all trams from Herdings and Halfway have only been going as far as the station this evening due to a hole that has opened up adjacent to the track just after the station, so it's likely that this is going to affect the Meadowhall trams too.

My OH's journey home from work has just been interrupted by this, so please make plans which take this into account until the engineers have worked out what to do about the hole.

From Travel South Yorkshire, disruptions;

Supertram Disruption

Due to problems with overhead cables/Points on the crossover tracks on Park Square roundabout services are subject to disruption

Yellow Route – Running Meadowhall-Cathedral and reverse

Blue Route – Running Halfway-Sheffield Station and reverse

Purple Route – Running Herdings Park-Sheffield Station and reverse

Passengers to/from the City can catch the Stagecoach 120 or 123 between Manor Top and City (Using Tram tickets)

This situation will remain in place for the remainder of the day.

An update is expected on Sunday Morning.

For journey options please use the Journey Planner or call Traveline on 01709 51 51 51. The information displayed on this page is correct and relevant to the time and date as shown above and may be subject to change between 07:00 and 22:00 hours.

For details of other disruptions, please go to the Disruptions page.

It's likely to stay the same tomorrow too, possibly into next week. Yellow route isn't affected.

When I boarded the 18:54 tram from Halfway towards town at Gleadless Townend this evening, I was quite concerned to see that it was only running to Sheffield Station. I asked the conductor about what was going on, to be told that the service beyond Sheffield Station had been suspended. I asked whether this was for the whole of the evening hence from where I should board a tram for my return journey towards Gleadless Townend & got a very vague reply but I think the gist of it was that I should get on at Sheffield Station.

As the tram arrived at Sheffield Station there was a very quiet announcement - hard to hear, with a lot of mumbling - from the driver to the effect that this tram was terminating at Sheffield Station (I only understood the announcement because I'd got some details from the conductor). Nothing at all was said by the driver about what was happening or that passengers would need to be aware that trams were not available at all from the City Centre tonight towards Halfway or Herdings Park - just that this tram was terminating at the station.

I'd only been made aware of the disruption to my later, return, journey because I asked the conductor on my way in to town - who, to be honest, was rather vague.

I walked in to town from the station & found it appalling that no Supertram staff at all were apparent at the Commercial Street or Castle Square stops to advise would-be passengers that trams were not running from there to Halfway or to Herdings Park. No notices had been posted either - hence many folk would have been waiting for trams that were never going to arrive.

The Meadowhall route didn't seem to be affected.

This seems to be (yet another) communication breakdown between Supertram & their passengers?

What's going on with this company....?

Edited by GleadlessLad

i was on the tram yesterday and they said it was due to subsidence and all blue route trams were terminating at sheffield station

Apparently there is a 'sink hole' adjacent to the track, under one of the poles holding up the overhead lines. If the hole grows any bigger it could swallow the pole and therefore pull the power lines down. So as a precaution trams are not being allowed to pass as the movement, weight, vibration could cause further movement and actually bring the overhead power lines down.

This was the situation at Park Sq yesterday, looks like the OHLE is being supported by the track as opposed to the ground

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-3giWAxObOWE/VALW2BiCU3I/AAAAAAABpKY/G0RT6T-iIeU/w542-h958-no/IMAG0173.jpg

That's very odd, though, bjones. This pic appears to be the meadow hall side of the delta ( the triangle shaped intersection in the centre of the roundabout) but the report says it's on the station-side.

Unless perhaps, there are a number of the overhead cable poles that have been affected in the same way (which is a possibility).

The pole concerned is on the delta the outer line from meadow hall to sheffield station. However , the pole supports the overhead for the whole of the delta junction

Including the commercial street to sheffield station lines.

this is going to be fantastic in rush hour tomorrow. no extra bus replacements and first now refusing to honor tram tickets.

game of sardines anyone?

And the blue and yellow routes are on bus replacement anyway, and the road works on the Walkley Lane bridge meaning that all Hillsborough traffic has to go through the tram gate, and the road works on Penistone Road...

I hope I don't need to leave the house tomorrow, because I'm not sure that I will be able to get the car out of the road.

this is going to be fantastic in rush hour tomorrow. no extra bus replacements and first now refusing to honor tram tickets.

game of sardines anyone?

Getting off at station is 2 stops earlier than normal isn't it as trams only going to cathedral.

Replacement buses? - well buses can't stop outside station so they'd probably have to go into bus station anyway and there are plenty of buses from there.

I imagine magic-ing buses out of thin air over a weekend is a bit difficult as drivers etc need to be found??

Let's hope SYPTE - for the infrastructure is their's not stagecoach supertram - sort this soon

---------- Post added 31-08-2014 at 21:24 ----------

When I boarded the 18:54 tram from Halfway towards town at Gleadless Townend this evening, I was quite concerned to see that it was only running to Sheffield Station. I asked the conductor about what was going on, to be told that the service beyond Sheffield Station had been suspended. I asked whether this was for the whole of the evening hence from where I should board a tram for my return journey towards Gleadless Townend & got a very vague reply but I think the gist of it was that I should get on at Sheffield Station.

As the tram arrived at Sheffield Station there was a very quiet announcement - hard to hear, with a lot of mumbling - from the driver to the effect that this tram was terminating at Sheffield Station (I only understood the announcement because I'd got some details from the conductor). Nothing at all was said by the driver about what was happening or that passengers would need to be aware that trams were not available at all from the City Centre tonight towards Halfway or Herdings Park - just that this tram was terminating at the station.

I'd only been made aware of the disruption to my later, return, journey because I asked the conductor on my way in to town - who, to be honest, was rather vague.

I walked in to town from the station & found it appalling that no Supertram staff at all were apparent at the Commercial Street or Castle Square stops to advise would-be passengers that trams were not running from there to Halfway or to Herdings Park. No notices had been posted either - hence many folk would have been waiting for trams that were never going to arrive.

The Meadowhall route didn't seem to be affected.

This seems to be (yet another) communication breakdown between Supertram & their passengers?

What's going on with this company....?

Maybe you didn't see them? There were some staff there last night - at castle square-my wife was talking to them last night bout it while waiting for me. Saw some today too as we were going to Meadowhall