The Sheffield Whale

I've just been looking through paperwork left by my father after he died. Amongst the old photos etc. is a postcard and a four page leaflet about Jonah and his 'career' as an exhibition piece. Dad took my brother and me to see Jonah. My brother was too young to be bothered and it wasn't my idea of a fun outing - I would rather have gone to the library. Funny enough I now find the leaflet quite interesting!

In 1970 or 71 I was taken by my parents to Barnsley where the markets are to see a whale on a lorry. This whale was real and was preserved with chemicals.I remember being amazed at the size of this thing.I recently found out it toured the country and i think was called Jonah.

I remember going into town to see it. Cant remember if it was down the moor or the market area. Seemed huge when i was about 5 or 6.

hi

i saw the whale it must have 1950 ish

the monkeys name was judy

Someone mentioned to me the great blue whale 'Jonah' had sailed onto this site. Anyone doubting this monster visited Sheffield... well its true. And if you actually saw him you aren't mad and weren't dreaming . Jonah was a 70ft 70 ton blue whale that toured the UK for almost 20 years ona 100ft lorry. He was landed off Trondheim in 1952, toured Europe, then crossed the channel.

I've just spend 3 years tracking down his story and writing a book (The Barnsley Whale - the true story of the world's firsat inland whale hunt) about this wierd phenomena that most people don't believe happened...

For the full story see http://www.bigwhaleonalorry.com

Yes I saw it, am sure I looked it in the mouth, I mean almost inside it.....long hairs coming down from the roof sort of thing.

I can almost smell it just thinking about it and I'm sure there was a thread about it sometime ago. (I posted on it)

Yes I saw it, it was at the bottom of the moor, can remember the long dangly things in it's mouth too. Must of been in 60s though I was only a little girl and I was born in 62

am i dreaming this,in the late fifties i thought i saw a full size dead whale exhibited,outside behind some tempory hordings on some flattened building land at the bottom of the moor you had to pay to get in,it was on the right going up just before what was the travellers pub, i know this sound absurd ive had a lot of beer since then