Who should be next Police Commissioner for South Yorks?

It's absolutely pointless me going to the lengths of a full reply as you are clearly painfully naive.

I take it you voted for a PCC then despite the fact you intimated earlier you're "not fussed"?

Yes save yourself the trouble you just further display your lack of understanding of what difference a skilled person in a position of influence can do. By painfully naive you mean I just dont agree with your view, so you cna go back to the bobbies on the beat and too many chiefs recycling.

If you wnat to point out and back up your statement that im painfully naive then please do.

If you had been PCC then do you think you could have made a difference by choosing your chief constable and devising what plan the police should follow? Are you smart enough? Would you have a clue how to get bad people off the street and ensuring the safety of decent people or would that be beyond you?

Edited by 999tigger

Someone with backbone and do what's right , not what's political correct

Neighbourhood Watch, Is an organisation that is None Political,

We have no opinion on the suitability of any prospective candidate for the forthcoming position, as the vacancy is potentially up to18 months away.

It has been expressed publically, and we echo concern about the process!.

For a public position that takes an oath of impartiality, It seems perverse that Political sponsorship of the prospective PCC is permitted.

Surly this can Not be correct.

The selection of a politically sponsored candidate can Not be in the public interest.

If the public are to receive an impartial, independent service the is evidence the process requires change.

As to the potential criminality alleged is so serious it surly requires the scrutiny of the process as a conflict of interests exists between the PCC and the Chief officer of any force

I really don't know why the the position of PCC became a political one. The Labour Party said they would remove the whip from Shaun Wright if he didn't resign (he preempted them by resigning from Labour)

they said they would suspend him from the party, there isn't a whip to remove from him

Everyone who stood should have stood as an independent. They could have mentioned what party they supported in their election material but they should not have been allowed to stand under party flags.

problem is that without party support, very few individuals could afford the publicity materials and to distribute it.

you'd be left with only rich people or people funded by rich people able to run and stand a chance of election not really a better situation.

can you imagine what would happen if some of the crazies on here were to get the post, at least with party support you could hope that the candidate was reasonably sane.

even if they didnt have party support, then its very hard to say we support you and then people who think in terms of politics vote accordingly. As I said previously there were several examples of where an independent candidate won.

Do we need a PCC ?

Would anything bad happen if we didn't have one ?

...In my opinion it should not be a member of any political party...
I agree, and in my opinion nor should it be a high ranking member of any religious group who may be tempted to rank laws from a book written a long time ago over the laws in the statutes.

Not that I think we need a PCC at all, they're just "whipping boys" at best

problem is that without party support, very few individuals could afford the publicity materials and to distribute it.

you'd be left with only rich people or people funded by rich people able to run and stand a chance of election not really a better situation.

In which case I suggest the solution would funding their publicity from central government up to a certain amount, after all it was central government who wanted these positions, no-one else was clamouring for an elected PCC.

My preference would be to abolish the post altogether, but if we are to keep going with it I don't why they should stand on party lines.

For a public position that takes an oath of impartiality, It seems perverse that Political sponsorship of the prospective PCC is permitted.

Surly this can Not be correct.

The selection of a politically sponsored candidate can Not be in the public interest.

Independent PCCs would have to take the same oath. Independents have political preferences too. It's just that they may not necessarily make them election issues.

PCCs replaced police authorities which were made up of councillors, independents and magistrates. Political control of the police is hardly a new concept. The Home Secretary is responsible for policing in England and Wales as well as for MI5 and other matters.

A person who is not a member of any political party.

Maybe an ex forces officer.

Do we need a PCC ?

Would anything bad happen if we didn't have one ?

Criminals would take over the streets...probably :D

He could always become an MP......................Aaaaaaaaargh!!!!

Someone else you can't get rid of until the election.

i might put one of me hens up for election couldnt do any worse,and when she does ought wrong ill cook it. ill look after the salary though.;)