Price of a pint

That's interesting, Boginspro. Whitbread took over Tennants in the late 1960s and they must have used the Amber brand name for a bottled bitter. I remember it only as a draught beer - it must have been a Tennants brand as others have said.

I remember the takeover.

In the 60's I frequented most of the pubs in town and Attercliffe, but I can't even remember Amber, it was perhaps not my kind of beer.

Whilst stationed in Germany a bottle of Amstel was 50 pfennigs.

After being paid in marks(100 pfennigs) this was doubled to equate to bottles in Amstel.

It ruined the accounting of thousands of soldiers when the price of a bottle of Amstel was increased to 55 pfennigs.

Whilst stationed in Germany a bottle of Amstel was 50 pfennigs.

After being paid in marks(100 pfennigs) this was doubled to equate to bottles in Amstel.

It ruined the accounting of thousands of soldiers when the price of a bottle of Amstel was increased to 55 pfennigs.

......and over 11 marks to the pound throughout the 50s and most of the 60s.

---------- Post added 01-09-2014 at 12:19 ----------

A very good question! Tim Martin of J.D. Wetherspoon opened his first pub with borrowed money in 1979 and built up his impressive chain with a simple three-point plan - cheap beer, good all-day food and no musak. It clearly works, and he's put the other big operators to shame. I suspect that if Tim Martin had been on the scene in 1967 or 1974 the price of a pint across the country would have become very different over time. By the way, the building where I started work as a bank messenger in 1970 is now a Wetherspoon pub - definitely a change for the better!.;)

Hillsbro, did you work with one of the Harris twins at the Midland Bank? One of them worked at that branch in the 60s. Not sure which one it was, Dave or Pete. The other one worked for BISRA in the St Philips Road area.

Edited by Jim Hardie

Hi Jim Hardie - I do remember a Harris (medium height, pleasant manner, always well dressed) but can't for the life of me remember his first name. He was a few years older than me and so must now be about 70. There was also a Christine Harris who might have been a relation. Good place to work, but now in retirement I prefer the Banker's Draft! :)

Hi Jim Hardie - I do remember a Harris (medium height, pleasant manner, always well dressed) but can't for the life of me remember his first name. He was a few years older than me and so must now be about 70. There was also a Christine Harris who might have been a relation. Good place to work, but now in retirement I prefer the Banker's Draft! :)

That's about the right age. They both wore glasses and lived in Crookes.

Can anyone remember the price of a pint of Stones beer in a working mans club in 1967 and 1974 ?

The price of a pint of Stones, at The Manor Social Club, in 1974 was 14 pence. Straight from the mouth of an ex- barperson.

The price of a pint of Stones, at The Manor Social Club, in 1974 was 14 pence. Straight from the mouth of an ex- barperson.

I remember the day it went up to 15p (about 1974)We had an old miner Tommy who used to come into the tap room and he used to have a pint, drink it halfway down and then top it up with a Gold Label.

The barmaid charged him 15p for each. He sat down looking at his change and said "that's it, that will be the last time beer goes up in price, I predict that there will be riots in the street if this happen" again.

He died shortly after, probably of apoplexy, due to the fact that it became 16p within months.

1s/8p at Smithywood

In 1950 the price of a pint was about 8d, or 4p new money. When I went to Plymouth, in the RN, the price of a pint of scrumpy (cider) was 6d, it was really rough stuff.

Can't be specific about stones

In the 'Wop' in sheffield 16p a pint a bitter in 1972-3

In our local it was about 14p

In working men's clubs in Durham in 1975 we used to ask for pint of mixed I remember being surprised at how much cheap it was than in a sheff pub.

two bitters were on offer 12p a pint for one and 14p a pint for the other 13p for the mixed.

Guessing it would be a little less between the dates you mention but not much, big brewery and tax man price hikes didn't start till a good few years after that.

Found this:

In 1952 the average weekly wage was £7.50 compared to £500 now. A pint of beer then cost 9 pence compared to £2.60 now so it took you twice as long to earn the price of a pint… - See more at: http://www.beergenie.co.uk/beer-occasions/jubilee-history/?age-verified=44ff307055#sthash.eHeujZW0.dpuf

http://www.beergenie.co.uk/beer-occasions/jubilee-history/?age-verified=44ff307055

Bit out with the average wage of £500., me thinks

---------- Post added 09-10-2014 at 23:56 ----------[/

---------- Post added 10-10-2014 at 00:12 ----------

Bit out with the average wage of £500., me thinks

---------- Post added 09-10-2014 at 23:56 ----------[/

My first pint of Stones (17) cost me 0/10d on apprentice wage of £1.60. I think full time wage was about £7.10.0d (£7.50.)

Edited by ptrA

first pint at Meadowbank hotel(Rotherham) was in 1961/2-----1/3p stones best--that was 16pints for a pound if you could,t afford that mild was 1 shilling (20 pints for a pound)--then again we were on about 5/6p an hour (tradesmen at STD)

I was 17 at the time and we had been playing football on South St. and called in to the Meadowbank at the off sales door---cheers all

I had my first pint at the age of 15 in 1958 I seem to recollect at the price of 1/3pence old money,I always looked older than I was and was never pulled by the police despite their many visits to pubs I was in!.Just a couple of weeks ago my present wife and I went to a family birthday do at the Hilton Norton,at the bar I ordered a pint of Tetleys"Four pounds sir!" says the barman "Christ I don,t want to buy the place!"says I to his amusement!.I know its the norm nowadays but I think the prices are a bit of a micky take just the same,its no wonder the pubs are folding people are voting with their feet especially older ones who remember when a night out didn,t need a bank overdraft!.