I Was The Boy Who Stole The Platters' Shoe

On 11/02/2020 at 02:07, SputnikBoy said:

Hello World

My goodness, it's been 14 years since I initiated this thread.  I'm the boy who stole the Platters shoe and I'm still around to talk about it.  I never did find the newspaper item of this incident ...not that I've really gone out of my way to do so.   I guess I've mainly bumped up this thread to let others know that I'm  still around and did, in fact, recently team up with 4 other musicians to form a band.   Someone once said, "You never grow old with Rock and Roll" and perhaps there is some merit in that quote.   I also organize a music group (the Millennium Singers) each year to perform public Christmas events in my adopted home city, Townsville, QLD, Australia, where I've resided since late 1989.  The members of the group are not necessarily professional (some are 'semi') but they simply have a desire to sing.  I've organized this group (in one form or another) for the past 18 years.  Actually, here's a video montage of the group in action from Christmas 2018 at the Gregory Street Amphitheater:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrRwxC_GNVM

The guy on the far right is the kid who stole the Platters shoe and is also a former pupil of Crookes Endowed School..  Anyway, should anyone care to reminisce about the old City Hall days and the visiting celebrities to that venue - or even to offer any updates on this thread title if that's possible  - please feel free to do so.  Cheers.  Rod

Hello Sputnik.

I'll keep the thread going for you.

Strange thing with the City Hall and Shoes, my School mate (no name supplied) acquired a pair of stack heeled boots belonging to Paul Mccartney (circa 1973) and he was the talk of our Skool for a long time. I had some of Roy Wood's multi coloured hair i obtained from a comb left back stage after a concert (why i didn't take the comb aswell I don't know) I had it in a match box for years but lost it durring a house move at some point (unless it's in the Attic, but I daren't go up there the Guardians of long lost Hoarders might get me - lol)

Rocker.

Just read through this thread - absolutely hilarious.  So I tried to help by trying to find when the Platters played Sheffield City Hall approx 1959 and could only find 1957 or Jan 13th 1960.  Not looked for a newspaper article though.........

Sue

On 16/08/2020 at 00:57, ssusie said:

Just read through this thread - absolutely hilarious.  So I tried to help by trying to find when the Platters played Sheffield City Hall approx 1959 and could only find 1957 or Jan 13th 1960.  Not looked for a newspaper article though.........

Sue

Hi Susie.  The Platters Tour WOULD have been in 1957 because I was still at school at the time and showed off the lifted shoe of the Platter to my schoolmates.  I left school the end of the 1957 school term so it couldn't have been 1959 or 1960.  Did you find the actual tour schedule for the Platters' 1957 Tour?  Anyway, thanks for the post.

Looking on Sheffield history it seems the date was March 14 1957. I'll leave you to gather the other information. Sue

On 30/08/2020 at 16:16, ssusie said:

Looking on Sheffield history it seems the date was March 14 1957. I'll leave you to gather the other information. Sue

Thanks Sue.  You're right.  The Platters performed their concert at the Sheffield City Hall on 14 March 1957.   My God, that's almost 64 years ago!  How can that be?  I'm only 46!

Anyway, to get serious, the article in the Sheffield Star regarding the stolen shoe would have appeared the following day, 15 March 1957.  So, I can actually pinpoint the exact date!  The problem is,  I live in Townsville, Australia.  Is there anyone from Sheffield who could offer any suggestions as to how I could obtain a copy of that newspaper item?  Thanks in advance.

Edited by SputnikBoy