I Was The Boy Who Stole The Platters' Shoe

dont feel bad bro.i once pulled the tassel off Pat boons hat,I also walked across the road with my arm in his arm.He put his hat on the wall so we all helped ourselves to a tassel each.(Bald Hat)I am sure that when these stars perform,They expect fans to attain something from them.What do you think uncy arper.:hihi::thumbsup:

Yes, I recall the Pat Boone incident. There was someone else on Mr. Boone's other arm too ...a friend of yours, glen? I remember it like it was yesterday.

I'd love to get my hands on the Platters news item because I'm sure that the 'shoeless' one certainly had not expected anyone to steal his shoe. He did NOT pass it off as simply a souvenir hunter stunt. He was absolutely livid! He would certainly have wanted to punch me out had he caught up with me. Then I would have said, "It wasn't me, it wasn't me ...it was (pointing the finger toward Woollongong) ...it was ...skippy! . . .honest, Mr. Platter!"

Find it Sputnikboy,just think how much this will be worth on E-Bay.

I actually saw you do it,well nearly.I used to go to City Grammar next to The Grand and we often used to see the stars especially if we were in physics.Some of the kids used to sneak out and get autographs,I got the lead singers autograph,Honest!

Well, since the Platters DID leave their mark - if only for a couple of of years - I guess the shoe (and don't forget the sock) might bring me in a few bucks from Ebay. In retrospect I guess I should have sought Mr. Platter out and offered to sell the shoe back to him!

You almost freaked me out when you said that you saw me. You were a little on the slow side that night weren't you? If you'd been on the ball you could have souvenired his other shoe!

They really WERE fun days, though, meeting up with some of the big names of the day. Incidentally, I wonder if anyone has the Platter's Tour Schedule for the year of (I think) 1957? If so, the news item would have appeared the following day and might be easier to locate.

Hey Sput.This is no joke,at the moment the Platters are on tv singing Only you.What a coincidence,its a haunting:o

Hey Sput.This is no joke,at the moment the Platters are on tv singing Only you.What a coincidence,its a haunting:o

Is that an omen, do you think?

oooooh,wooooo.yes.Same as the time when the lino flew up in the wind,it was cullooos:hihi: :hihi: :hihi: do you like my little ball?

I've been trying to keep out of this one Sput, but you pointed the finger at me. Over the years the line up of the Platters has changed many times, would you believe that in the 70's, Ex Platter Esther King came to perform in Wollongong [see how It's spelt] my wife and I were her support act.

The reason I never joined the Salation Army was because I don't like blowing my own trumpet so to speak, Ha Ha.

I've been trying to keep out of this one Sput, but you pointed the finger at me. Over the years the line up of the Platters has changed many times, would you believe that in the 70's, Ex Platter Esther King came to perform in Wollongong [see how It's spelt] my wife and I were her support act.

The reason I never joined the Salvation Army was because I don't like blowing my own trumpet so to speak, Ha Ha.

Yes, I had a sneaky feeling that I'd spelt it wrong. I was just trusting to memory.

Very interesting about Esther King, skip. I had no idea that you were a star. That DOES qualify you as a target for souvenir hunters, you know that don't you? Hmmm . . .have you got a nice pair of shoes ...?

Incidentally, the line up of Bill Haley's Comets also changed over the years. I had the opportunity of 'jamming' with Louis Torres about 3 years ago. He played bass as a 'Comet' with Haley a couple of years prior to Bill's death. He (Torres) became an Adventist Evangelist and has visited Townsville several times. He's a nice guy and has a number of stories that he tells about Bill Haley that are not common knowledge ...nothing necessarily bad, just general stories of interest.

Esther became a born again christian & started singing gospel, she was quite good. I'm happy just being plain old me these days, although the breweries may dissagree, & I'm still known for my good looks and sense of humour, when you're at the top Sput, you can only go down.In the 60's I performed in front of the Prince of Wales & Duke of Glouster, I forget the name of the other pub, but I got moved on,Ha Ha.

Just thought that I'd bump this one up again from a couple of years ago.

Does anyone know where old newspaper items can be obtained - microfilm, computer, whatever ...? The newspaper item I'm interested in concerns the matter below.

Y'see, I souvenired (stole :D) a patent leather shoe from a member of The Platters harmony group circa 1957/8/9. The full story (yawn) can be found at the beginning of the thread if anyone cares to look. Anyway, this incident made the Sheffield Star (?) the following evening.

Feel free to comment/add tidbits. Or not.

Sheffield Local Studies Library holds all the local newspapers on microfilm.

Archives and Local Studies

Hugh

Thanks for the info, Hugh.

Actually, if someone can locate and post a U.K. tour schedule of The Platters circa 1957 I can narrow down the search for the newspaper item tremendously. The 'shoe item' would have appeared the day after the The Platter's appearance at the City Hall in Sheffield. Someone posted the full 1958 U.K. tour schedule of Buddy Holly on the 'Buddy Holly Thread' so SURELY the same person or another 'someone' could do similarly with the tour schedule for The Platters . . .? I sure would appreciate it.

Any takers?