I Was The Boy Who Stole The Platters' Shoe

Hey Sput, I'm glad you finally bared your SOLE although I think you're a real HEEL for doing it, you had plenty of lip as a youngun,did you think an extra TONGUE would be an added extra ?

I bet you ran hell for LEATHER after the event, Ha Ha.

Hey Sput, I'm glad you finally bared your SOLE although I think you're a real HEEL for doing it, you had plenty of lip as a youngun,did you think an extra TONGUE would be an added extra ?

I bet you ran hell for LEATHER after the event, Ha Ha.

Oh my, skippy, I've been racking my brain for the last several days trying to come up with some appropriate 'shoe humor' and you stole EVERY ONE of the available tags in one fell swoop ...no fair!! :rant:

Sput, confession is good for the INNERSOLE, your last thread seemed to be LACED with dissapointment at not being able to come up with anything, I bet these threads had you in STITCHES, ok, like the shoe, I'll put a sock in it.

Only You

only 1 shoe can make this story tonight

only 1 shoe you got to put it right

only you & the shoe alone

can make us laugh like you do

by posting here so everyone can view

Sput, confession is good for the INNERSOLE, your last thread seemed to be LACED with dissapointment at not being able to come up with anything, I bet these threads had you in STITCHES, ok, like the shoe, I'll put a sock in it.

THAT is so unbelievably witty, skippy. And evidence of such academic skills in presentation too! Hmmm . . .are you SURE that you received your formal education at Crookes Endowed School? :wow:

Yep. After all this time I'm finally coming clean on the world-wide web. I was the boy who caused the singing group, The Platters, some grief during their 1959 (?) tour of Great Britain.

I didn't go to their concert at the Sheffield City Hall since I wasn't a great fan of The Platters. I did, however, stop off to see what might be going on after the concert on my way back home from a movie. I was an avid fan of showbiz persons back then.

I arrived in time to see some of the group signing autographs for a few fans outside the Grand Hotel. I had no autograph book or even a piece of paper on which they could sign their names. I DID, however, notice a pair of shiny patent leather stage shoes belonging to one of the male members. Actually, there was only one female in the group if I recall. Anyway, he had placed the shoes on a low feature wall outside the hotel in order to free up his hands with which to sign autographs.

Oh, what a temptation! I had Satan on one shoulder telling me to grab a shoe as a souvenir and God on the other shoulder telling me not to. What a dilemma! Unfortunately, Satan won the conflict fairly quickly and I deftly picked up the (very large) shoe (containing a sock) and quietly disappeared into the night clutching my treasure.

The following day I showed off this celebrity exhibit at school and became somewhat of a celebrity myself for having 'ripped off' the shoe in the first place ...not to mention the sock. I HAD felt guilty at first but the status of 'celebrity thief' was making the experience a worthwhile one. Not for long. That evening the local newspaper (The Star?) headlined "Platter Hopping Mad!" as my evil act became the talk of the town. Anyone recall this event?

I felt sure that I'd be tracked down, tried, sentenced, and committed to Juvenile Hall for life. To help alleviate my overwhelming feelings of guilt my mother took the shoe (and the sock) to the Grand Hotel in the city in the hope of it being reunited with its rightful owner. They (the staff of the hotel) didn't want any part of it since they had no way of getting it to 'the Platter' in question anyway.

So, mom returned home with the shoe (and sock) and it was placed in a cupboard and eventually forgotten. I have no idea what happened to it over the years. Who knows, it might now be in the possession of someone who has long wondered, "Who did this shiny patent leather stage shoe (and sock) belong to and what is the story behind it?"

Hi Sputnic boy GLEN told me who you are, regards the shoe if thats the worst you ever got up to you should have no guilty concience, anyway Ihope you are well and happy. uncle Arthur

Hi Sputnic boy GLEN told me who you are, regards the shoe if thats the worst you ever got up to you should have no guilty concience, anyway Ihope you are well and happy. uncle Arthur

Hi there! Nice to hear from you. I've been wanting to ask you for ages ...are you really my dad? ;)

THAT is so unbelievably witty, skippy. And evidence of such academic skills in presentation too! Hmmm . . .are you SURE that you received your formal education at Crookes Endowed School? :wow:

I still think we are the only ones left living Sput ?

Hi there! Nice to hear from you. I've been wanting to ask you for ages ...are you really my dad? ;)
No R if that had been the case you definitely would not have seen FCH I can assure you, your Mum and Iwere friends but never went that far, Rex talked about this and said that evil sod of a brother of minetold him that, did you not ever say any thing to your Mum about what he had said , because I am sure she would have put you right, sorry about losing her by the way, keep in touch. arthur

No R if that had been the case you definitely would not have seen FCH I can assure you, your Mum and Iwere friends but never went that far, Rex talked about this and said that evil sod of a brother of minetold him that, did you not ever say any thing to your Mum about what he had said , because I am sure she would have put you right, sorry about losing her by the way, keep in touch. arthur

Sorry Arthur . . .I was just joshing. I really DO know better than to believe what I asked. That 'rumor' had become somewhat a standing 'joke' of sorts over the years and I was just playing on that. I actually regretted having posted that remark after having done so and hoped that it wouldn't offend. I often wished that it HAD been true, however, since you would have been a far better deal than the other ...God rest his soul. I'm not bitter. Sorry to be so cryptic but you know what I mean. Anyway, I really WOULD like to talk to you sometime ...maybe on the telephone. I'll PM you my email address.

Meanwhile, can you ever find it in your heart to forgive a wretched nephew who would blatantly steal a patent leather shoe (and sock) from a Platter? :D

I still think we are the only ones left living Sput?

Well, skip, it's either that or you and I are the only two ex-pupils of Crookes Endowed School who actually learned to read and write and progress to the level where we would eventually develop the appropriate academic abilities that would in turn enable us to articulate our thoughts, questions, memories, confessions, and meaningful and humorous anecdotes in such a manner as to equip us with the talents to participate in and to astound other posters on the forum with our acquired and accumulated knowledge, life skills, and formidable insight. What say, skip?

And they all said that I was the boy least likely to succeed!! Can you believe that? My, Miss Ramsden the English teacher sure would be proud!

Incidentally, doesn't the name 'Crookes Endowed' sound like some fraternity or lodge for miscreants and delinquents? It DOES sound like some place where Al Capone might have been trained up for future criminal activity. Come to think of it, skip, maybe we're getting no responses from ex-students because the Sheffield Forum might not be accesible to prison inmates. . .ever thought of that? Hmmm . . .

Actually, I once gave a talk to a class of kids at Royster Junior High in Chanute, Kansas. During question time one kid asked me which school I had attended as a kid. Quite innocently I said, "Crookes Endowed." Even though I said it with a straight face they thought I was joking and they all cracked up laughing. It was then that I realized what a stupid name it is.

By the way, skip, did I ever tell you about the time I ripped off a shoe (and sock) from one of the Platters? Well . . .I just might tell you about it sometime.

Sorry Arthur . . .I was just joshing. I really DO know better than to believe what I asked. That 'rumor' had become somewhat a standing 'joke' of sorts over the years and I was just playing on that. I actually regretted having posted that remark after having done so and hoped that it wouldn't offend. I often wished that it HAD been true, however, since you would have been a far better deal than the other ...God rest his soul. I'm not bitter. Sorry to be so cryptic but you know what I mean. Anyway, I really WOULD like to talk to you sometime ...maybe on the telephone. I'll PM you my email address.

Meanwhile, can you ever find it in your heart to forgive a wretched nephew who would blatantly steal a patent leather shoe (and sock) from a Platter? :D

Hi Rod, I will forgiveyou, but i must say, the only thing i would steal from a platter woud be something to eat , Having never heard of the Platters in question, I would love to have a chat on the phone let me have your number please.