Turton Bros. & Matthews, Wentworth Street

Is there anyone out there who worked either in the office or in the works at Turton Brothers & Matthews, in Wentworth Street? The firm made large — 20-foot-long guilloutine shears. I was a driller there for some time during the second world war

I think my ex brother inlaw may have worked there,Tony (Frank) Turton.

I have been asked by a friend to revive this thread with a bit more information relating to a former employee from around 1948 to 1951?

The person we are looking for would now be in his late 70s or even mid-80s

who worked for the company which Google leads me to believe was in part much larger than its Wentworth Street base.

The Matthews was Sir Ronald, chairman of the London and North Eastern railway for a good number of years. Turton was the big name at the company of that name which made coil springs and oher such items for the railways.

The person for whom I write would like to be put in touch with a former young man who as I say worked there around the 40s and 50s as a Planer. He was then courting a girl from the office, and was so much enamoured by her that he had started learning Gregg’s shorthand! They more than likely married?

Also working there was driller, my friend, who most lunch breaks managed to find shops with cigarettes to sell — at a time when they were scarce. Apparently my friend, a heavy smoker, would sell packets of 20 to this anonymous Planer who was occasionally skint as a result of entertaining his fiancée, and so had to have his fags on tick until pay day.

If this information rings a bell in, maybe, a son or daughters mind would they please PM me to tell me how my friend can contact said Planer.

And that’s about it. Briefly, I suppose old man would enjoy knowing that his former friend did marry his office-girl sweetheart and they then produced a family and may well have grand-children.

They must surely have talked about those days, I hope!

P.S. Anon. is currently looking over my shoulder to tell me that he thinks they did marry because they had to, which means an offspring of some 60 years of age and, he thinks, possibly female.

Edited by peterw

Is there anyone out there who worked either in the office or in the works at Turton Brothers & Matthews, in Wentworth Street? The firm made large — 20-foot-long guilloutine shears. I was a driller there for some time during the second world war

My Mother-in Law Rose Bourne worked there as an office cleaner for many years

My late father, Harvey Rich, worked there before the war and after he came out of the army. He used to speak of working in an area overlooking Watery lane.

Does anyone know the address number of the works?

Does anyone know the address number of the works?

I think it was called Premier Works and between courts 13 and 15.

Sheffield Local Hiatory Library should be able to help from trade directories.

My late dad.Denis Cliffe,worked at TB & M ,I guess around 1950 -61.Anyone remember him?

A friend of mine worked on the switchboard 1945/6/7, she knew all the girls in the office but can't remember any of their names.

I worked there from 1986 to 1990. I was machine shop shift supervisor when I left. I came across this thread by accident, I happened to be looking into Brinkburn Grange which used to be at the bottom of the road I live at now, turns out it was built by Thomas Matthews, the Director of the business

Brinkburn Grange was built in 1883 by Thomas B. Matthews. The land was part of Bradway Mill and Matthews was director of Turton Brothers & Matthews, a Sheffield steel, file and spring makers. The mill dam was then used as an ornamental lake. The Grange was demolished in 1938.

Not sure if anybody is still interested

Nick

I am still interested. I'm trying to find the company that my mother Sylvia Booth nee Housley worked at as a scissor dresser in 1951/2. She lived on Wentworth Street.

Also looking for George Hudson he will possibly be in his 80's now.

Edited by AEGALE
added name

My Mother-in Law Rose Bourne worked there as an office cleaner for many years

I worked at TB & M when your mum in law was there. Lovely lady! I kept in touch with her until she died. She bought me a lovely wedding present, which I still have.