Rotherham Children sexually exploited

One question is rattling round my brain. Why Rotherham? And is it only Rotherham? It seems strange to me that one small town should have such a devastating situation and for the canker not to spread outward. I mean the men, or some of them, must have had family/friends in other towns. Does it not seem likely that they would have encouraged their depravity to spread elsewhere?

And if so, where? Is there another cesspit/s waiting to be discovered?

Its a rotten borough that's rampent with croniesm and gerrymandering.

I think that this applies to all of the areas where this has happened. Civil servants serving themselves.

Child abuse happens everywhere sadly, but it reached epidemic proportions in Rotherham because by trying to look after themselves and not dealing with it the authorities effectively gave it the green light.

The thing that really put's me about is I have actually seen three of the culprits around Sheffield for years, I'm sure they might have even gone to my school...

I think that this applies to all of the areas where this has happened. Civil servants serving themselves.

Child abuse happens everywhere sadly, but it reached epidemic proportions in Rotherham because by trying to look after themselves and not dealing with it the authorities effectively gave it the green light.

Surely incompetent people not doing their jobs, whether civil servants or not.

See in my specific job I deal with a particular type of criminal. And 80% of them are non English. I don't get into a sad strop about it whining about PC gone mad in a sad effort to excuse not doing my job. I just do my job and if there are "PC" consequences then I'll face them down. It's called doing your job, the officials in Rotherham should have done their's instead of making sad excuses.

The thing that puts me out us that the story is now dead and everyone involved has got away with it.

The press won't keep it going because its a hot potato, neither will the politicians.

No inquiry either.

So they you go. 1400 girls abused and nothing comes of it.

Absolutely it's rampant with cronyism, often as a result of Common Purpose which really would be worthy of a closer look (not sure about gerrymandering though - when were there ward changes that made a difference?)

If people are not brought to justice then law and order is dead in the UK, I cannot even begin to imagine what these poor girls went through and they need a semblance of closure at least.

Here's another extract from today's excellent Janice Turner article, which suggests one area where fingers should certainly be pointed;

Certainly it is incredible that Shaun Wright, the police and crime commissioner, and former head of Rotherham children’s services was unaware. Professor Jay details how in 2004, Risky Business, the upstanding project for sexually exploited girls, put together an exhaustive presentation: it detailed 319 cases, the taxi firms and takeaway joints, the names of known perpetrators. This was shown to 60 out of 63 councillors. Mr Wright, elected in 2000, almost certainly saw it.

When Andrew Norfolk, of The Times, first questioned him, Mr Wright’s reply was: “Why are you picking on Rotherham?” A complacent Labour council with an unassailable majority had no reason to grub for the votes of its more marginal citizens.

Risky Business, the upstanding project for sexually exploited girls, put together an exhaustive presentation: it detailed 319 cases, the taxi firms and takeaway joints, the names of known perpetrators.

What we would all do to see a copy of this presentation. If anybody from Risky Business is reading this then please feel free to leak it to the press.

It's rather annoying that everybody who doesn't know where Rotherham is will no assosiate Rotherham with the scandal. I live in Rotherham. My wife works in a school very close to where it has been happening. She has reported no end of things she has seen/heard as have the school but little ever gets done.

Given the amount of concern, over the 16 years, about taxi drivers, you'd think the council would have taken quite a lot of action. They are, after all, the licensing authority for taxis. However, this is what Kimber said in January last year:

In the last two years, there have been four cases where we had concerns relating to a child safeguarding or sexual exploitation matter. All four drivers had urgent action taken against them to prevent them acting as taxi drivers. On receipt of information, three drivers were immediately suspended. The fourth prospective driver had a licence application refused by the Licensing Board on the basis of historical information relating to CSE. None of these individuals now operate as taxi drivers in Rotherham. Of these four, one driver subsequently had his licence revoked by the Licensing Board, a second remains suspended pending further investigation, the third voluntarily surrendered his licence and the fourth driver appealed the Licensing Board’s decision at the Magistrate’s Court, however the Court dismissed the appeal.

Four. Not many is it? Now, there was a very senior councillor at the time who was a major figure in the town's taxi industry. Cronyism? Biraderism? Common Purpose? Or just absolute incompetence? Whichever, it failed 1400 children

Don't like the man,but Griffin and Marlene Guest tried to expose Rotherhams problems ten years ago, this is a tweet from him yesterday ,should the authorities wait another ten years before exposing his claims?

Nick Griffin ‏@nickjgriffinbnp 8h

While it's good to see the exposure of the #RotherhamAbuse, the media should look at Keighley, Halifax & Blackburn. It's even worse there.

To me what needs to happen now is a full investigation of all the individuals involved in order to find out exactly what went on and which individuals made the key decisions that allowed this dreadful situation to go on for so long.

Even if they no longer work for the council they should still be investigated.

When you look at the amount of time and effort the police put into investigating decades old allegations involving celebrity's often with very limited evidence it makes this situation even more unbelievable.