Rotherham Children sexually exploited

‘Within the Council, we found no evidence of children’s social care staff being influenced by concerns about the ethnic origins of suspected perpetrators when dealing with individual child protection cases, including CSE. In the broader organisation context, however, there was a widespread perception that messages conveyed by some senior people in the Council and also the Police, were to ‘downplay’ the ethnic dimensions of CSE. Unsurprisingly, frontline staff appeared to be confused as to what they were supposed to say and do and what would be interpreted as ‘racist’. From a political perspective, the approach of avoiding public discussion of the issues was ill-judged.’

‘Within the Council, we found no evidence of children’s social care staff being influenced by concerns about the ethnic origins of suspected perpetrators when dealing with individual child protection cases, including CSE. In the broader organisation context, however, there was a widespread perception that messages conveyed by some senior people in the Council and also the Police, were to ‘downplay’ the ethnic dimensions of CSE. Unsurprisingly, frontline staff appeared to be confused as to what they were supposed to say and do and what would be interpreted as ‘racist’. From a political perspective, the approach of avoiding public discussion of the issues was ill-judged.’

In other words it was smoke & mirrors.

I can't believe Shaun Wright won't take any responsibility and step down. Such arrogance. He was overseeing Children's Services for 5 of the 16 years that this terrible abuse was going on.

Sixteen years covers babyhood to adolescence. If the Police and Social Services had got their act together sooner, these poor girls might have had a very different childhood.

One thing I find mad is that Rotherham Council did nothing here, yet threw all their weight behind, with threats of legal action, against a group of people swimming in Treeton Dyke, claiming that they could have been a danger to children!

With the pictures of former senior figures in Rotherham social services and the council in the papers today, I hope their new colleagues recognise them and have to explain themselves

One thing I find mad is that Rotherham Council did nothing here, yet threw all their weight behind, with threats of legal action, against a group of people swimming in Treeton Dyke, claiming that they could have been a danger to children!

And removed children from a loving foster family just because they were UKIP members!

---------- Post added 28-08-2014 at 10:07 ----------

Wrong again, they mainly targeted vulnerable girls ie the 'low hanging fruit' those who would be easier to ply with shoddy gifts, drinks and drugs, you'll also see that none of the victims were the children of doctors, dentists or solicitors.

So you have identified and aknowledge there was some commonality amongst the victim group which is fair enough.

Are you also prepared to acknowledge there was commonality amongst the offenders?

I have been trying since 1974 to bring sexual abuse of children in the Rotherham area to the attention of someone or some organisation which would do something about it. In recent times I have reported it to the new Police Commissioner and others, all of whom have ignored my efforts. Count amongst those who did not bother even to reply the Home Secretary, The Daily Mail, the Daily Mirror, the Daily Telegraph, the commissioner of course, how dare he claim he didn't know about it ?, and South Yorkshire Police in the forlorn hope that it would land on the desk of someone who cared. If, and that is a big word in this context, someone had responded, there are 1400 children today who might not have been subjected to the dreadful and horrific abuse that they did. I noted with disappointment that my essay 'There is a Sickness in the Land' published on this website received a mixed response.

God Help us All.

Harry Bunker, former Detective Constable 1078.

Edited by PCPLOD178
spelling error

This is becoming laughable, so what if the race card had been played?

So what? OK then, should UAF or the EDL or whoever kick up a fuss about being aggravated by the authorities, do you think the authorities should stop harassing them so they can continue their plans? It’s the same sort of thing.

the former children and young persons board 2005 2006 rotherham

these councillors were on this panel then and still serve now will they

know anything of interest

gwendoline a russell

john swift

amy l rushforth

rose m mcnally

barry kaye

barry dodson

shaukut ali

So we're laughing at political correctness, whilst also acknowledging that more political correctness (y'know, respecting and treating everyone equally, ensuring that minority voices are heard and respected) would've gone a long way in ensuring these events never happened. In fact, is it possible that the infamously sandal wearing, liberal & wimpy South Yorks police have used "fear of appearing politically incorrect" to deflect the blame from the incompetence and corruption of individuals onto a nebulous leftist cultural paradigm, and is it possible that you're dumb enough to fall for it?
I think that's likely what has happened. People looking for an easy way out of doing their job rather than truly believing that race was/would be an issue.

Fact remains though that if using such excuses were viewed as being the preposterous nonsense that they are, then this would never have been an option for them. Then they might have taken the claims seriously. Or at least come up with a better excuse.

But this is the society that we live in.

Have a look at the report. Child H was found, at the age of 12, drunk in a derelict house with another child and several men. She was arrested on suspicion of being drunk and disorderly. None of the men were arrested. Or child A, who was 11 when she disclosed that she'd had sex with 5 men. Two of the men received cautions, no action was taken in relation to the other three.

The police attitude towards vulnerable exploited girls absolutely stinks (and the report's description of the bigoted culture amongst elected members is fairly repugnant too)

All my efforts to investigate sexual abuse of children in the 1970's in R -11-

On the 1st April, 1974, Sheffield and Rotherham Constabulary combined with large areas of the former West Riding Constabulary to form the new South Yorkshire Police. I was serving at Rotherham at the time. Former officers of the West Riding were promoted and transferred to South Yorkshire, including Chief Superintendent Greaves, and his brother in law, Detective Chief Inspector Hatton, the former becoming the commander of the new expanded Rotherham ‘C’ Division, the latter the head of the divisional C.I.D.

Later that year, I investigated a case of rape and attempted rape of a nine years old girl. The offender was identified as ’Uncle Vic’, a former neighbour and friend of the girl’s family. I arrested him late that night, and took him to Rotherham police station. Astonishingly, he immediately admitted what he had done to the child, and willingly made a complete statement of admission. I was curious why he had been so open about assaulting a child in that way, and he replied to the effect, “Because you’re wasting your time and my time, you should forget it.”

I charged and locked him up, but shortly afterwards, three of his own daughters attended the station to complain that he had been raping them as each of them attained the age of six years.

When interviewed, ’Uncle Vic’ again frankly admitted the accusations by his daughters, but this time, I was more interested in the reason for his frankness. “You’ll find out,” was all he would say.

Following a full investigation, I charged him with additional various offences of rape and incest, his reply to each one being ’I’ve told you, you’re wasting your time.”

Several days before he would be committed for trial at Crown Court, my desk drawers were forced open, and all the original papers in the case were stolen. Without these, the case could not proceed to committal, and an application by defence solicitors would result in it being thrown out on the grounds that the police could not make out a prima facie case. I panicked, and spread the word amongst other officers that someone in the force had stolen the papers.

A serving West Riding officer visited me on the night before committal, and he told me that Hatton had been well known in the West Riding to

-12-

sabotage cases of child sexual abuse (the term paedophilia was not used in those days), and that everyone knew about it. He also told me that Hatton kept the stolen files in his office until the cases had been dismissed, when he would destroy them.

I didn’t know the informant, and realised that he could be setting me up to burgle Hatton’s office. I was desperate and decided that there was no way that ’Uncle Vic’ was going to be sent back to his family to continue abusing his children. Next morning, I went to D.H.Q. at Ship Hill in Rotherham, and burst into Hatton’s office, pushing him out of the way and began searching his desk. I found the stolen papers in one of the drawers along with others missing from officers files in Rotherham.

I informed him that I was reporting him to the Chief Constable for attempting to pervert the course of justice, and walked into court as Uncle Vic was being produced from the cells. I handed the papers over to the clerk, at which, the defendant’s wife, who had been sitting in the public gallery at the back of the court, leapt to her feet, and ran screaming that I was destroying her family towards me. She reached me standing in the well of the court and immediately attacked me, scratching all her finger nails down my face.

She was taken away by other officers in the court. I declined to bring any charges against her, but when I left the court, I was told to report to Greaves. His office was in the same building.

When I stood before his desk, he launched into as tirade of abuse at me, accusing me of running a vendetta against Hatton, and threatening me with being ‘dealt with’ if I took the matter any further. I responded by informing him that I was reporting him for conspiring with Hatton to pervert the course of justice.

I prepared a file against the two officers at home that evening, and delivered it to the Chief Constable’s office next morning. Later that day, I applied for transfer back to one of the Sheffield Divisions.

About three weeks later, I was summoned to appear at the Detective Chief Superintendent’s office. He took my report apart, tearing each page and throwing them in the waste bin, and as he did so, informing me to mind my own business or I would be ‘dealt with’ if I did not drop it.

-13-

I was subsequently over ruled with the charges of rape I had brought against the defendant, and they were replaced by the relatively minor charges of Incest. The law was quite clear on the issue, children of a tender age cannot possibly consent to sexual intercourse, and so it must be construed as Rape. However, The Crown did not object to the replaced charges, and the defendant received a ridiculous sentence of 4 years imprisonment, for which he would serve only 2 years.

Postscript to this shocking affair.

Vic had an elder daughter, who was married with her own children. I spoke with her in the presence of her husband. Whilst she understandably did not want to be included in the list of charges against her father, she told me that he had raped her regularly after she attained the age of 6 years. She also told me that on some occasions, other men would be present in the bedroom, and some of them would assault her in a variety of disgusting ways. She also said that often there would be a bright light at the back of the room and one of the men seemed to be operating what appeared to be a camera on a tripod.

Amongst the men were police officers, who, her father said, would lock her up if she told anyone about it.

All this had taken place in a village called Brinsworth, which until the 1st April, 1974, had been within the West Riding of Yorkshire and policed by the West Riding Constabulary. After that date it became part of Rotherham Metropolitan Borough.

During my years prior to this date whilst working in the C.I.D. occasionally, late in the evenings, a gathering of officers, some quite senior, would take place in a tiny studio at the end of the C.I.D. corridor.

8 mm films would be shown, ostensibly they were what had been seized by Plain Clothes Department under the Obscene Publications Act. I was on duty on several of these occasions, and recognised West Riding officers amongst Sheffield and Rotherham men, all out of uniform.

Any reader of this account can come to their own conclusion over this,

-14-

Since learning of Greaves’ malicious libel I have attempted to persuade South Yorkshire Police to release documents to me covering my personal and personnel files, that of my pension, and the file relating to the complaint against Greaves.

Some requests have been ignored, others simply refused on the grounds that it would not be in the public interest to release them to me. The force even refused to disclose to me the historical pension scheme under which my pension was awarded.

I failed to protect those children, when Vic was released from prison, he returned to the family without any complaint or interference from Social Services.

Your first priority Sir must be to gain possession of the files and read them yourself, and then it will be your duty to deal with them.

I am Sir,

Yours very sincerely,

LETTER TO POLICE COMMISSIONER.

Harry Bunker.

otherham

Edited by PCPLOD178
additional material.

Regardless of political correctness. According to this report, for the safety of my kids. I'll simply advice them to stay well away from all Pakistani males as much as possible, until this matter been properly addressed, then I can be confident of their safety. Until then, nothing people say will change my mind. It s a shame~~

---------- Post added 28-08-2014 at 10:45 ----------

I'd wish all responsible parents to do the same in Rotherham. Ignore what everyone else say, do the right thing, advice your kids as much as possible, keep them safe