Rotherham Children sexually exploited

It says in relation to council employees

But council chief executive Martin Kimber said he did not have the evidence to discipline any individuals working for the council despite the report saying there had been 'blatant' collective failures by its leadership at the time.

Mr Kimber said: 'Officers in senior positions responsible for children's safeguarding services throughout the critical periods when services fell some way short of today's standards do not work for the council today.

'To that extent, I have not been able to identify any issues of professional practice related to current serving officers of this council that would require me to consider use of disciplinary or capability procedures.'

So no discipline unless he can find the evidence of people who are at fault.

he cant discipline people who are no longer with the Council.

Nothing to do with multiculturalism.

---------- Post added 26-08-2014 at 17:28 ----------

Erm what about the predominantly WHITE, middle-class, middle aged, male members of the council who did nothing about it?!?! Nobody of any creed or colour comes out of this situation in any glory, so stop trying to twist it into a pre-determined racial agenda.

Funnily I just said it wasnt about muticulturalism, but the perpetrators all appear to have been in common. Theres a difference between being the perpetrator and being incompetent bystanders.

It says in relation to council employees

So no discipline unless he can find the evidence of people who are at fault.

he cant discipline people who are no longer with the Council.

Nothing to do with multiculturalism.

The fact that it was ignored was often down to racism fears and the fact that most of these men are of Pakistani origin. Yes it has something to do with multiculturalism. Almost all the victims are white girls not seen as 'theirs' and hence can be treated like this

The fact that it was ignored was often down to racism fears and the fact that most of these men are of Pakistani origin. Yes it has something to do with multiculturalism. Almost all the victims are white girls not seen as 'theirs' and hence can be treated like this

Can you back up that assertion with any evidence?

Can you back up that assertion with any evidence?

According to the news reader on a radio station I was listening to earlier, the people in charge, that are guilty of mishandling the situation, have admitted that they hesitated because of the ethnicity of the perpetrators; they didn't want to appear racist.

Have a look at the report. Child H was found, at the age of 12, drunk in a derelict house with another child and several men. She was arrested on suspicion of being drunk and disorderly. None of the men were arrested. Or child A, who was 11 when she disclosed that she'd had sex with 5 men. Two of the men received cautions, no action was taken in relation to the other three.

The police attitude towards vulnerable exploited girls absolutely stinks (and the report's description of the bigoted culture amongst elected members is fairly repugnant too)

Totally agree. Ive tried to copy/paste the Executive Summary.... but my techy skills are not that great... :/

Don't be silly, if the majority of Pakistani men were doing this then your description would be true but this seems to be small criminal gangs

who have been empowered by the lack of action from those in power.

What I would like to see is real meaningful action starting now from those in power to bring the perpetrators to justice. There must have been a few hundred serious abusers and as this only happened over the last 10-20 years I hope that with the girls' evidence we can see some serious jail terms.

Another nail in the coffin of South Yorkshire Police, do they ever get anything right?

Edited by ApplesPears
typo

According to the news reader on a radio station I was listening to earlier, the people in charge, that are guilty of mishandling the situation, have admitted that they hesitated because of the ethnicity of the perpetrators; they didn't want to appear racist.

So what excuse is given to the victims of white child abusers when the authorities ignore their claims?

Hallelujah, at last the scandal is in the open. I worked for many years with vulnerable school girls. Our service reported several cases of suspected abuse which were swept under the carpet. Race relations was definitely the reason a blind eye was turned.

So what excuse is given to the victims of white child abusers when the authorities ignore their claims?

One of the issues highlighted in the report is that many of the victims come from dysfunctional families. This is often true of the victims of white child abusers too. In at least some cases the victims have not been believed initially because of their background which often involves them in drug and alcohol abuse. They have not been viewed as credible or reliable witnesses.

Shaun Wright was Head of Childrens and Young Persons Services during the time that the enquiry covers. He will not stand down though, too greasy for that. Stone should have stayed and been made to deal with it and then sacked instead of taking cowards way out and quitting

In the following extract from the report, Shaun Wright was the chair of the meeting referred to, who allowed a senior staff member to shout and swear through a meeting without intervening. Hardly an ideal recipient of an 80k salary paid for by tax payers;

8 In October 2009, the outgoing Director of Safeguarding wrote to the Chief Executive referring to a recent budget meeting chaired by the Lead Member for Children and Young People’s Services. The following account is taken from her letter. A senior officer present, not from Safeguarding Services, was quoted as saying that in his professional view Rotherham had too many looked after children and this accounted for a significant part of the overspend. When challenged for his evidence for this assertion he is described as becoming aggressive and antagonistic. He was asked to stop shouting. He responded by saying that shouting was the only way to get through to these people and he persisted for over an hour, swearing frequently, with

no intervention from the Chair, according to the letter. The Director of Safeguarding described the experience as being 'intimidating, humiliating, bullying and entirely professionally unacceptable.' She concluded by saying she only felt able to put this in writing because she was leaving the authority.

This is not the time Boyfriday. Your blanket defense of minorities is boring at the best of times. On a thread such as this its unhelpful at best.

I'm not defending minorities, I'm pointing a finger fairly and squarely at the people who became child abuse enablers-those who turned a blind eye because challenging it looked a little bit too much like hard work.

It's easier work to use some 'faux' excuse to justify inaction, when you've been caught in the headlights of public indignation. Were all these social workers mute? Inexperienced? Impressionable? Stupid?

Shallow thinkers will seize on the 'racial' aspect of the story as the reason for the abuse, that's a small part of the story, after all perhaps you could tell me why Cyril Smith, Jimmy Savile and a whole host of white males have been the beneficiaries of similar oversights?

Social services and the police have complete legal powers to tackle it, 'fear of being accused of being a racist' never formed part of the mitigating reasons for child sexual abuse, it existed solely in the heads of those tasked to protect our children. They should stand in the dock alongside the abusers..whatever colour they are.

I'm not defending minorities, I'm pointing a finger fairly and squarely at the people who became child abuse enablers-those who turned a blind eye because challenging it looked a little bit too much like hard work.

It's easier work to use some 'faux' excuse to justify inaction, when you've been caught in the headlights of public indignation. Were all these social workers mute? Inexperienced? Impressionable? Stupid?

Shallow thinkers will seize on the 'racial' aspect of the story as the reason for the abuse, that's a small part of the story, after all perhaps you could tell me why Cyril Smith, Jimmy Savile and a whole host of white males have been the beneficiaries of similar oversights?

Social services and the police have complete legal powers to tackle it, 'fear of being accused of being a racist' never formed part of the mitigating reasons for child sexual abuse, it existed solely in the heads of those tasked to protect our children. They should stand in the dock alongside the abusers..whatever colour they are.

I agree with this; which is why Lord Ahmed was roundly criticised a few years ago for trying to blame unhappy arranged marriages for the grooming of girls by Asian gangs

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/peer-s-anger-at-grooming-1-2995450

There are plenty of people in unhappy marriages, arranged or not, that wouldn't even dream of doing such an unspeakably evil thing that these 'men' have done.