Dog walks - no sheep

Hello,

I have just adopted a new lovely rescue dog who is brilliant in every way, but much too interested in sheep and pulls me all over the place when he sees them. I really like walking him off lead as he is very good but am to worried now so he is mostly on the lead and I am knackered after a walk!

Can anyone recommend good walking spaces where there are no sheep about - I am near Crosspool. I know of Rivelin Valley but I am getting a bit bored of going there all the time. At Fox Hagg they are spraying something throughout August and September so we are staying away from there. I have a car so I can travel a bit. I hear people mentioning Ringinglow - are there any sheep around there? Any suggestions gratefully received.:)

we walk around waverly lake at catcliffe a lot thats good its open so you can see far off and no cattle as its a development site

Hillsborough park?

Can't remember seeing any sheep in there.

I too have a rescue dog.

A Border Collie...often referred to as a sheep dog.

I understand your concern...the constant pulling on the lead when near sheep.

Living in a small village like I do, with sheep everywhere...it was a worry when considering adoption.

One year on....and she no longer pulls when near sheep.

It's hard work granted.

It was a case of holding her on a tight lead and constantly saying NO!

She eventually got the message.....although I wouldn't let her off lead near livestock.

I use a retractable lead.

Fortunately, a short car ride from the village and she can run free.

I've had my dog for seven years, had a professional trainer to try and distract from sheep but still bad. Some dogs won't ever not want to chase! Catlane Woods, Eclesall woods, Moss Valley, Meersbrook, Endcliffe Park are all good no stock walks. Would love to hear others :)

Rivelin Valley Nature Walk or Rother Valley or Clumber Park

There has been a couple of incidents recently of sheep been savaged,one of them killed by dogs in the Rivelin/Stannington area,keep your dogs on a lead as the farmers in the area are not happy(guns at the ready).

Pugneys country park j40 off the m1 ( I think) is lovely. Nice walk around the lake, cafe and warm water hose pipe to clean dogs after :) about 2 miles with a flat track and dogs can swim in lake

Walk around langsett is good about 5 miles through woodland, moors and streams, park at langsett barn car park

Scout dyke reservoir near penistone is a flat track about 1 mile round

We've done these and not seen sheep!

Pugneys country park j40 off the m1 ( I think) is lovely. Nice walk around the lake, cafe and warm water hose pipe to clean dogs after :) about 2 miles with a flat track and dogs can swim in lake

Walk around langsett is good about 5 miles through woodland, moors and streams, park at langsett barn car park

Scout dyke reservoir near penistone is a flat track about 1 mile round

We've done these and not seen sheep!

FYI there are sheep and grouse up around the south edge of Langsett on the moors area, definitely not suitable for off-lead (I've seen people up there laughing as their dogs chase the grouse, way to get your dog shot by a ****** off gamekeeper)!

There's a decent 40 min circular walk entirely on the northern edge though with no livestock.

Generally I find reservoir walks good, there's not usually livestock to worry about and often it's fenced on the outer edge so not much chance of your dog doing a runner!

We regularly use: Langsett (not all the way around as above), Underbank, More Hall, Broomhead, Agden, Dam Flask, and Redmires. A couple of these have sheep on the dam walls but they're not usually close to the path.

Another favourite are the woods around Deepcar - Grenoside, although avoid at dawn and dusk due to deer/foxes/rabbits.

Do all of these with our high prey drive, sheep loving lurcher without issues :D

The best thing to do is to get yourself some OS maps, pick random footpaths and explore!

Hello,

I have just adopted a new lovely rescue dog who is brilliant in every way, but much too interested in sheep and pulls me all over the place when he sees them. I really like walking him off lead as he is very good but am to worried now so he is mostly on the lead and I am knackered after a walk!

Can anyone recommend good walking spaces where there are no sheep about - I am near Crosspool. I know of Rivelin Valley but I am getting a bit bored of going there all the time. At Fox Hagg they are spraying something throughout August and September so we are staying away from there. I have a car so I can travel a bit. I hear people mentioning Ringinglow - are there any sheep around there? Any suggestions gratefully received.:)

I av got a border collie I walk him round agden reservoir at bra field. If u want to meet I could show u it. I walk mine off lead round there.

Sheep in top feild on Wadsley common unfort