Re-Launch of Neighbourhood Watch in Sheffield

Whilst I agree that more could be done justice wise and discipline wise, it's never going to happen so the only way forward is to keep them out by doing the simple things. Yes it will force them down the road but if everyone does this it will make it that bit harder for people to steal. A lot won't actually smash windows etc because it attracts too much attention and increases chances of getting caught. Just don't make it easy for them!

Whilst I agree that more could be done justice wise and discipline wise, it's never going to happen

Exactly!

Just don't make it easy for them!

Quite! It would be virtually impossible for my house to get burgled without the criminal getting caught whether I was in or out at the time. Same with my garage and cars. Hence why I've never been burgled or ever had a car stolen. I make sure that any passing opportunist knows targeting my home would almost certainly result in their capture and detention, so they immediately look to a different target.

I want the criminal to forget about me and go target someone else less prepared. Because they are absolutely going to burgle someone, they have come out specifically to do so in most cases, they are ready to steal and they're not going home until they've got what they came for or at least tried. They're going to target and attempt to burgle someone. My job is to make sure they don't choose me. Your job is to make sure they don't choose you.

Stupidly enough, do you know what the first thing most victims of burglary do once they've been burgled, they get security installed. In this day and age, that is the mentality of a moron. STOP reacting to life. Have some foresight, and thank the people like the OP who are trying to help educate you. I despair, I really do!

So NW is now an entirely fee-free system run along purely altruistic lines, with no involvement of 'security' businesses and no paid staff? Marvellous. It almost sounds just like neighbours looking out for each other ...

Guest sibon
"Coutts" has literally NEVER got anything wrong!

Oh, I don't know. His grammar and punctuation are a bit dodgy.

I know, lets all whine on about how things "should be", when in the REAL world the "ideal" will NEVER happen, so it's a totally unproductive way of thinking and living. In fact, it's a very dangerous way to live.

<Snip, a load of victim blaming tosh>

You seem to be confused, old chap. I never suggested that you shouldn't look after your property, or try to prevent burglary. I'm making a simple point. A moral one. It might be tough for you to take in, but do try. The blame for any theft lies squarely with the thief. Nobody else.

The law agrees with me, by the way. If I leave my front door open and somebody walks in and steals my TV, who is in the wrong?

Do I get prosecuted for leaving the door unlocked? Or does the thief get prosecuted for burglary?

Have a lovely day. And do stop looking over your shoulder. They really aren't all out to get you.

Edited by sibon

Oh, I don't know. His grammar and punctuation are a bit dodgy.

You seem to be confused, old chap. I never suggested that you shouldn't look after your property, or try to prevent burglary. I'm making a simple point. A moral one. It might be tough for you to take in, but do try. The blame for any theft lies squarely with the thief. Nobody else.

The law agrees with me, by the way. If I leave my front door open and somebody walk in and steals my TV, who is in the wrong?

Do I get prosecuted for leaving the door unlocked? Or does the thief get prosecuted for burglary?

Have a lovely day. And do stop looking over your shoulder. They really aren't all out to get you.

Are you saying that people who leave there doors and windows open when they go out, and find they have been burgled when the return, have no blame, that is ridiculous.

Guest sibon
Are you saying that people who leave there doors and windows open when they go out, and find they have been burgled when the return, have no blame, that is ridiculous.

Yes. I am. They are not to blame.

They might be foolish, but they aren't to blame for the crime.

Yes. I am. They are not to blame.

They might be foolish, but they aren't to blame for the crime.

In this day and age i would say they are, there has been theft since time began, and if you dont take precautions to prevent it you must share some of the blame, utopia does not exist.

His grammar and punctuation are a bit dodgy.

"His" grammar and punctuation hold up all day long on this forum.

I'm making a simple point. A moral one.

Unfortunately morals won't protect my assets.

The blame for any theft lies squarely with the thief. Nobody else. The law agrees with me. If I leave my front door open and somebody walk in and steals my TV, who is in the wrong? Do I get prosecuted for leaving the door unlocked? Or does the thief get prosecuted for burglary?

There is far more at stake than simply losing items when it comes to burglary. Some "victims" are so mentally scarred by the ordeal that they can NEVER again sleep in a house that has been burgled. As for who gets prosecuted in your example, who cares, the question you should be asking is, who pays out on the insurance for such an act of idiocy. Probably nobody. But don't worry, you got your moral victory. :rolleyes:

Have a lovely day.

I will, but only because I can go about my day with total piece of mind that I can concentrate 100% on productive endeavours instead of worrying about being burgled.

And do stop looking over your shoulder. They really aren't all out to get you.

THEY so are!

So NW is now an entirely fee-free system run along purely altruistic lines, with no involvement of 'security' businesses and no paid staff? Marvellous. It almost sounds just like neighbours looking out for each other ...

Cynical remark there, I have no problem with business sponsoring the scheme where their experience is most welcome. See you later.

Thanks to all who attended last night. A good informative meeting !

Thanks to all who attended last night. A good informative meeting !

Who are you?

See you later.

I doubt it. My golf trophy needs are covered, thanks.